Old 09-22-2015, 02:37 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

My TPMS do not have the anti-theft devices and are very small. I e-mailed the company (EEZRV) and they confirmed that they weigh less than an ounce and no tire rebalance is necessary.

6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:05 PM   #12

TST says that too but I took them to the tire shop to balance with them on anyway.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:13 PM   #13
Site Team

Metal Stems

From the TST web site
Do I need special valve stems?
No, you do not need special valve stems, but you do need commonly available metal valve stems.
The added weight of the sensor on a rubber valve stem could cause problems that will be avoided by using metal valve stems.

I always rebalance with the metal stems and the sensors in [lace.

Been using TST products for 8 years.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:43 PM   #14

Just back from a 2500 mile trip with the TST507 system. I put on metal stems (aluminum wheels) and had them re-balanced with the sensors in place before I left. No news here, it's what should be done.

BUT - I can say that I TREMENDOUSLY enjoyed the peace of mind I had while checking each tire pressure and temperature while moving down the road, knowing I would get an alarm if anything went wrong. We stopped for gas at a station in La., there was a trailer full of pulp wood in the back, both tires gone on passenger side and the logs were all blazed up on that side as well. My wife says, "I guess they didn't have them tire checkers like you got."
Old 11-08-2015, 06:51 PM   #15
Swift2

STS507 saved us last weekend. Alarm went off and we were off the road before damage was done. Love the comfort of being able to know what's happening.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOneil43 View Post
Tell me about the beads. Are they put into the tires or what? And how expensive are they?
Thanks
Google dynabeads. Had the off brand equivalent on my last trailer and plan on installing them on this trailer before spring. Not that expensive, kits are around $40-50. Do they work? Can't really tell (I don't ride in my trailer), but my last set of tires showed no wear signs linked with severe imbalance. Have read reports from motorcycle riders that give them high marks. Figured it was worth the investment.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:53 AM   #17

I balanced mine when adding the flow through sensors and replacement rubber coated metal stems as they were never balanced. Also recommended is anti seize compound on the stem threads to prevent corrosion as the sensors and stems are different metals.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:34 AM   #18
Pickin' & Campin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
I balanced mine when adding the flow through sensors and replacement rubber coated metal stems as they were never balanced. Also recommended is anti seize compound on the stem threads to prevent corrosion as the sensors and stems are different metals.
I would be very cautious about adding Anti-Sieze to the threads of the screw on sensors which could migrate into the sensor itself. Typical automotive Anti-Sieze compounds have metal particles in them coupled with a thick gooey base. There are non-metallic based Anti-Sieze products out there (food grade/marine) but are not as commonly available. (especially in auto supply stores)

With the transducers and temp sensors that are inside the sensors, I wouldn't want anything but clean air in contact with the inside of mine.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:49 AM   #19
Mod free 5er

I found out the hard way that rubber high pressure stems & flow through sensors only like each other for about a year.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Metal Stems

From the TST web site
Do I need special valve stems?
No, you do not need special valve stems, but you do need commonly available metal valve stems.
The added weight of the sensor on a rubber valve stem could cause problems that will be avoided by using metal valve stems.

I always rebalance with the metal stems and the sensors in [lace.

Been using TST products for 8 years.
This is true, but I wouldn't have a tire rebalanced because I added a sensor. Remember your Rv came unbalanced to begin with..... Proof in the pudding, had them balance my new tires with the sensor on and then had it removed to check the balance, no change in weight was shown, done at goodyear.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel