Old 12-13-2015, 08:56 AM   #41

I replaced the rubber valve stems with metal stems and had the wheels/tires balanced with the sensors installed. I've towed the TT 5,000 miles with no issues at all. I believe if you use the sensors on valve stem extenders you need to secure the extended valve stem to the wheel/hub cap to stop them from "flopping around" which could potentially cause a leak!

2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:59 AM   #42
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Kenny, these previous posts may help. as there is usually some confusion on what a TR600 HP valve stem (that you have pictured) actually is.

It's when people start using the terms "metal stems" and "rubber stems" is where it get's all messed up. If we would stick to clamp-in or snap-in stems terminology, then it would be much better.

Suggest you check your tire valves stems

metal tire valve stems

An actual clamp-in style valve stem (as explained in the links above and pictured below) has a rubber grommet at the base that acts as the seal, but a clamp-in style valve stem does not really flex when properly installed and torqued.

Sorry Wm, i was calling the "clamp in" , "solid stems", and those pictured "snap ins" the " high pressure, rubber base, metal top" stems.

I've used the clamp ins for years on equipment, semis and some of my gooseneck trailers. Id never heard it termed that way, so i always told the tire guys, solid or bolt in stems.
Thanks for sharing!!!

Old 12-13-2015, 09:27 AM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Sorry Wm, i was calling the "clamp in" , "solid stems", and those pictured "snap ins" the " high pressure, rubber base, metal top" stems.

I've used the clamp ins for years on equipment, semis and some of my gooseneck trailers. Id never heard it termed that way, so i always told the tire guys, solid or bolt in stems.
Thanks for sharing!!!
You are doing good. As I explained in the post from the first link, it's better to refer to the clamp in type stems.... as 'bolt-in stems' (as you said you do) instead of just 'metal stems'. Sounds like you have been doing correct. I don't see any need for terminology change really on your part as far as the clamp-in stems are concerned.

Some manufacturers do use the term Bolt-in to describe the clamp-in stems.

It's all in the 'metal stem" vs "rubber stem" terminology where it get's confused, especially with the TR600HP snap in stems, that have half of the internal brass tube exposed. People think this is the same or equivalent to a "metal" stem that others are referring to, which is the clamp-in style.

As stated, it's just not the laymen who are sometimes confused, it's kinda prevalent in the tire biz as many undertrained people don't know the proper terminology difference either.

As I explained to Ron below, even the snap in stems have a brass internal part, so they have metal too (which you can obviously see in a 600HP snap in stem since the protective rubber coating is only half way up the brass stem)

Suggest you check your tire valves stems

Here is a schematic of a TR413 snap in stem that people like to refer to as a "rubber stem". Note the internal brass tube that runs almost the length of the stem.

Maybe we can guide the terminology talk at least amongst ourselves when we read these type threads where members are using "rubber" and "metal" for valve stem terminology.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #44

Frankly there is probably no real answer to the question. To be sure, rubber valve stems will flex far more than metal ones and the more that you hang on them and the smaller the tire diameter...the more flex. My Georgetown came from the factory with braided extensions on the inner dualies, but it was just hanging there. I put non flow through TMPS sensors on all the tires, and added extensions to the outers and used the stainless mounting clips that go under the wheel cover nuts on the duals. Rims already had metal stems. I see or feel no balance problems after doing that and frankly, with a TMPS the need to take the transducers off to air up really presents no problem to me since I don't need to measure pressure any more.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #45
Mod free 5er

Hub caps are small plastic and are mounted on the center and don't affect the balance!
Old 12-14-2015, 01:59 PM   #46
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
... I have never read or either I missed it that a FRF member broke a rubber high pressure stem as shown....Hope that helps MillerTime....
I have had two of the high pressure rubber "snap in" stems fail. No tire pressure monitoring system. Less than 1 3/4 inch stems. One on a front (no valve stem extension), one on a rear with extension well fastened. Both failed "gracefully" - caught low pressure at a pre-trip pressure check. Shop that replaced all with metal "clamp in" stems said they should have been fine - suspected improper installation (pulled too hard to snap in place).
FYI
Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:29 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
I have had two of the high pressure rubber "snap in" stems fail. No tire pressure monitoring system. Less than 1 3/4 inch stems. One on a front (no valve stem extension), one on a rear with extension well fastened. Both failed "gracefully" - caught low pressure at a pre-trip pressure check. Shop that replaced all with metal "clamp in" stems said they should have been fine - suspected improper installation (pulled too hard to snap in place).
FYI
Jim
Well thanks for the information. Stand corrected, but it wasn't caused by the TST system. I don't think that the manufacturer would make a statement that they can be installed on regular snap in rubber stems if they didn't know and only recomend 13/4" or less giving out that information. At the same time I think anyone using them should switch to metal stems. But not at a point of needing to change them until either your repairing a flat or installing new tires. If they thought that I'm sure they would write in BIG WORDS WARNING must be installed on metal stems, That would set them up for quite a law suit if they couldn't be installed on rubber stems....But we all know that S@@t happens. In fact the one picture shown in this thread of a metal stem only showed one nut, The one's I installed had also a locking nut so it can not come loose. (2 nuts)
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:50 PM   #48
Mod free 5er

I had a high pressure rubber stem start leaking coming back from Goshen last year and stopped at GY and had it replaced and also bought a Marathon to
replace the spare. Took all 5 tires to GMax and had metal stems put in all of them, found out then that the flow thru sensors threw the balance off 0.5 oz on all 5.

Tags
wheel