Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 12:58 PM   #1

Wheel Bearing & Axle Inquiry

I may have come late to with this inquiry, but I've got to ask!

We have a 2009 Sabre 28RETS 5th wheel purchased new, dealer gone. According to the Sabre brochure and stickers on the fenders it should have come with a SEALED WHEEL BEARING SYSTEM. I have been relying on this information, not maintaining the wheel bearings. I recently discovered, when having tires replaced and adjusting brakes, grease fittings behind a rubber plug in the dust cover indicating a EZ Lube type wheel bearing system.

Now I'm curious; What have other 2009 Sabre 5th whl. owners found?
Who manufactured your Axles?
And most of all, what do I have? (Back to owners man.)

When reading how to's, RV bearing lubrication on the internet, they indicate these are EZ Lube axles, not Sealed Bearings. I can only hope I found out in time and haven't hurt the the bearings. Lots of miles without new grease.

cruisin
cruisinhwy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:56 PM   #2

My money is on your rig having Al-Ko axles (now owned by Dexter) with Easy Lube and of course loose or missing grease zerks. Watch the videos, pull your wheels/tires off, do not breath the brake dust as you clean, inspect & repack the bearings then replace the grease seals. Measure the outside diameter of the spindle at the grease seal location to get the correct inside diameter of the seal. My 2014 Sabre came from the factory with 4mm larger grease seal ID, so they leaked from day 1.

Look under your unit at the axle tag...but don't rely on the manufacturer to cross reference this for correct seal size. eTrailer.com is a good source for parts, but Northern Tool & Tractor Supply have also helped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1462128750968.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	106611  

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:23 PM   #3

Exxon Mobil 1 synthetic grease and Jack each wheel and while rotating the tire completely displays all of the old grease and out and you'll be good to go. If you don't rotate the tire that a chance you can blow the seal.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:04 PM   #4

Axle/Bearing Inquiry

Got the Sabre 28RETS this past Sunday for a spring trip. Checked the owners manual for manufacture of axles for our RV. (See original post) Book says Al-Ko or Lippert. I then crawled under to verify, only to find axles built by "Dexter" dated 08-08??
What good is an owners manual full of INACCURATE INFO?

Resolve, Dexter Axles w/EZ Lube Bearings! Thanks Palomino for incorrect advertising (non lube bearings used as major selling point) and the wrong INFO in owners manual. I now own a 2009 Sabre w/almost 30,000 miles, that's never had the bearings serviced. Dexter supplied good bearings, I hope.

cruisin
cruisinhwy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:00 PM   #5

That's pretty typical for FR. Try finding a schematic of the various electrical, plumbing etc.. My manual is full of errors.

Tags
axle, wheel