Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2019, 12:17 PM   #21

Wheel Bearings and Brakes Maintenance
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=173121
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #22

I use the EZ lube bearings.
I lift the tire off the ground and have someone spin the tire as I slowly pump grease into the bearings until I see new grease come out.
The 1st time I needed 1 tube per tire, now 6-10 pumps and I see new grease.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:31 PM   #23

A couple of youtube videos for dexter axles.

You could also do a search on this site. I've seen many posts on this.
Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #24

thanks to all for your help , i have a good idea on how this works ,and since i only have 1050 miles on the tt,i will do a inspection just to make sure they have grease i them
lajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:46 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
It makes a difference if you have drum or disc brakes. Personally I wouldn't use the eazy-grease method. In Drum brakes you run the risk of contaminating the friction surfaces with grease. Either way I prefer to get the grease where it should be, in the bearings.
The EZ Lube system puts the grease exactly where it belongs -------

IF ONE FOLLOWS THE INSTRUCTIONS.

I would emphasize, use ONLY a hand grease gun.

Also, it's to one's benefit to do this on a warm day when grease is easier to pump by hand.

It's my guess that those who've found grease in their brake drums have probably had an ignorant service person at the dealership use a power grease gun. That's one reason I do all my own maintenance on my trailer.

FWIW, wheel bearings don't need to be packed as much as many people do, especially on the EZ-Lube. Yes, it's a great idea to check brakes but if one is careful they can merely remove the drum, bearings, seal, and all intact, check the brakes and merely return the assembly and adjust nut. Unless the seal is removed and it's still flexible with no nicks on the seal edge it really doesn't need replacing. I merely clean the seal surface on the spindle before re-assembling. When finished inspecting, then follow greasing instructions.

Also, the EZ-Lube hubs are not like those of old that hold a pint of grease if filled. The hub "void" is more closely sized to that of the spindle so it takes less grease than many old-timers are used to seeing with a full hub.

Then again, if you like greasy hands, clothes, and tools, do it the old fashioned way.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:54 PM   #26

That's why I like Valvoline. Have used it for years and never had that happen.
I think enough people saw my coup this weekend and no grease leaking out on my rotors!
Old 06-16-2019, 02:18 PM   #27

Just went thur this yesterday. Pulled the hubs to check bearings & 2 of the four wheels had grease flung all around the inside of the hub. Was lucky in that it appeared no grease got on the linings or drum just on inside of shoes. I used the Ez Lube towards the end of last summer and did it EXACTLY as instructions said. Dealer warned me not to use them, but I did it anyway. If the manufacturer designed it to work, it should work you would think. NOT!!

Proceed at your own risk.
Wolf26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:36 PM   #28
Site Team

Moderators Note

Moderators Note:

There were two active wheel bearing grease threads causing confusion. They have been merged into this thread.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:44 PM   #29

Quote:
It makes a difference if you have drum or disc brakes. Personally I wouldn't use the eazy-grease method. In Drum brakes you run the risk of contaminating the friction surfaces with grease. Either way I prefer to get the grease where it should be, in the bearings.
TitanMike, I should have said, I prefer to see that the grease is where it should be.

Everyone has a preference. Ours differ, that's all.

Keep in mind that the e-z-hub doesn't replace the 12 month or 12k mile bearing repack (the old way) that is recommended by Dexter...the axles my trailer has.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:40 PM   #30

Last week I did the wheel bearings in my TT. They were long over due, about 20000kms. I'm the second owner of this trailer and know the first owner very well. He assured me that he had never done the bearings. Ez-lube or other wise, yet when I took them apart there was a ton of grease in them. I'd say the space between the spindle and hub was completely full. Even to the point of the dust cap being full. This makes me believe that either at the manufacturer or the local dealer the ez-lube method was used.

Three of the four looked fine but one (the last one) had grease in the brakes indicating the seal failed to some degree.
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_45c3.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	209743
You can see the grease built up on the wrong side of the seal.

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_45c4.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	209742
This pic you can see grease flung out on the actuating components. I believe that this was caught in time to prevent grease from getting to the friction surfaces. I also believe that if I had used the ez-lube method I would have pumped a bunch of grease into the drum side of the hub.
This confirms to me, my previous comments on the topic. I'll continue to spend $16 (CDN BTW) and 30 - 45 minutes per wheel to do it the old way.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:13 PM   #31
Brake is on left

Most load bearing greases are lithium complex and are compatible. As others have said, if you dont know it is best to clean first. I am another Lucas guy. Thousands of miles on it and never ever a bearing issue has arisen. However, after 3200 miles on factory grease left me with a galled bearing. YMMV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0825191510.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	215590  
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Most load bearing greases are lithium complex and are compatible. As others have said, if you dont know it is best to clean first. I am another Lucas guy. Thousands of miles on it and never ever a bearing issue has arisen. However, after 3200 miles on factory grease left me with a galled bearing. YMMV.
You found that and have used Lucas since? I also like Lucas and haven't run into any issues yet.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:41 PM   #33
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Following advice from here, I filled my hubs with Lucas RT. A year later I picked up my grease gun and red oil drained out ALL OVER ME, my shoes the floor and my work bench. I've used other brands of HD lithium grease that did not separate that bad. I don't plan to use it again.
YMMV.
Exactly! After 5-6 months the red oil runs out of the grease gun! That can't be good. I use Aero-Shell #6. Costs a bit more, but it is a quality grease with a wide temperature range.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:52 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Following advice from here, I filled my hubs with Lucas RT. A year later I picked up my grease gun and red oil drained out ALL OVER ME, my shoes the floor and my work bench. I've used other brands of HD lithium grease that did not separate that bad. I don't plan to use it again.
YMMV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Exactly! After 5-6 months the red oil runs out of the grease gun! That can't be good. I use Aero-Shell #6. Costs a bit more, but it is a quality grease with a wide temperature range.
Can’t remember if I’ve ever had Lucas separate in the tube, but it’s never separated in the hub. Aero shell 6 does seem to be more stable than 22 or Mobil 28 in the gun. It is acceptable practice to mix it up to continue using it.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:48 AM   #35

EZ Lube - Won't make that mistake again

I decided to throw the dice and to use the EZ Lube system after 4,000 miles on my new trailer. I followed the procedure carefully by pumping the grease gun slowly while rotating the wheel. Prior to this, I have always done a full Monty, bearing repack and inspection. After putting on another 6,000 miles this summer, I pulled each wheel this fall to do a proper inspection.

First two wheels were good. The third wheel had grease all over my brake shoes. It appeared that the pressure of the grease gun had literally pushed seal right out of its mount and allowing the grease to enter the brake assembly. I ended up just replacing the backing plate and brake assembly. I also installed new Timken bearings.

I am disappointed in EZ Lube and do not anticipate trying that again.
TST 507 TPMS
nutdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:52 AM   #36
D W

Quote:
Last week I did the wheel bearings in my TT. They were long over due, about 20000kms. I'm the second owner of this trailer and know the first owner very well. He assured me that he had never done the bearings. Ez-lube or other wise, yet when I took them apart there was a ton of grease in them. I'd say the space between the spindle and hub was completely full. Even to the point of the dust cap being full. This makes me believe that either at the manufacturer or the local dealer the ez-lube method was used.

Three of the four looked fine but one (the last one) had grease in the brakes indicating the seal failed to some degree.
Attachment 209743
You can see the grease built up on the wrong side of the seal.
Attachment 209742
This pic you can see grease flung out on the actuating components. I believe that this was caught in time to prevent grease from getting to the friction surfaces. I also believe that if I had used the ez-lube method I would have pumped a bunch of grease into the drum side of the hub.
This confirms to me, my previous comments on the topic. I'll continue to spend $16 (CDN BTW) and 30 - 45 minutes per wheel to do it the old way.
Looking at that spindle it appears to me that whatever type grease that is has had it. Maybe heat has caused it to break down and exceed it's drop point and pass right through the seal. Bearing grease should not "droop" down like that. None that I use does that.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:45 PM   #37
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
You found that and have used Lucas since? I also like Lucas and haven't run into any issues yet.
Yes sir. Every trailer I have owned. At the first running gear service, I clean all the grease out and manually pack by hand with Lucas. Then I'll reassemble and use the EZ Lube to fully fill the hubs. Never had Lucas let me down. Doesnt separate or run even towing south in the summer.
I was surprised as could be that the bearing looked like that after a few thousand miles on the factory lube. Never experienced it before. As soon as I pulled the hub I knew something was not right judging by the grease color as compared to the other 3 hubs.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel