Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #1

wheel bearings

i was wondering how many kilometer or miles should you have on your bearings before greasing them or adjusting them, i 4800 km on mine and i plan to take a 5000 km trip next month,,should they be looked at or just greased
thanks kevin
TF-Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #2

I would give the tire a tug and see if they are loose or tight
If tight maybe give them a shot of grease to make sure they are well greased and if you here the clunk from loose bearing then it's time to check them out before your trip.
This is my opinion and you will probably get many diffrent opinions on this one
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Al-Ko says inspect and repack annually.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:58 PM   #4

Just had my first annual state 'inspection'. While not required by my state (Texas), I asked them to pull the brake drum at my extra cost. One of the brakes was found to not be working due to excess grease on the inside of the drum.

The grease came from the bearing being overpacked - pushing the grease past the seal (damaging the seal).

I was not really noticing any significant problems since 3 of the 4 wheels were braking, and I stay about 2k below my max load rating.
kablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:08 PM   #5

I was told by the head mechanic at our dealer to repack every 5000km or anually, whichever is first. Come to think of it, I've been bad, I did 7000km.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcct View Post
I was told by the head mechanic at our dealer to repack every 5000km or anually, whichever is first. Come to think of it, I've been bad, I did 7000km.
If the bearings and seals are in good order there is no reason whatsoever to repack every 5000 km. Some years we have towed the trailer over 10 000 km and last year we did over 20 000 km without any problems at all. I do not use the grease fittings to add grease at all, once a year the wheels come of for a complete brake inspection and bearing repack.

photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:23 AM   #7

In my case, my '11 Shamrock 19 has travelled approx. 8,000kms.

I just pushed new grease, using the zerk under the rubber cap. I used X-tra grease from Lucas Oil (from Canadian Tire), and it's green, I pumped until I saw the green stuff oozing out. I wiped cleaned as best as I could inside the cap and put the rubber cover back on.

I will pump a few squirts over the summer again and plan to remove the wheels and inspect either in the fall, or next spring.

Good luck.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by photog View Post
If the bearings and seals are in good order there is no reason whatsoever to repack every 5000 km. Some years we have towed the trailer over 10 000 km and last year we did over 20 000 km without any problems at all. I do not use the grease fittings to add grease at all, once a year the wheels come of for a complete brake inspection and bearing repack.
That's great if you can do that. The point I made is that I do what was recommended to me by the dealer, and I will continue to do so until the warranty is over. I do envy you though, if you can pull your trailer for 20,000 km in one year, you do get out alot. Many don't even put that kind of diastance on their personal vehicle. Must be nice. My longest tow was the round trip from Vancouver to St. Laurent, Manitoba and back, plus a few shorter trips in between, in one season. Actually, I guess, closer to 9500 kms in total.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
Old 06-04-2011, 12:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcct View Post
That's great if you can do that. The point I made is that I do what was recommended to me by the dealer, and I will continue to do so until the warranty is over. I do envy you though, if you can pull your trailer for 20,000 km in one year, you do get out alot. Many don't even put that kind of diastance on their personal vehicle. Must be nice. My longest tow was the round trip from Vancouver to St. Laurent, Manitoba and back, plus a few shorter trips in between, in one season. Actually, I guess, closer to 9500 kms in total.
We are both retired, so time is no problem and last year was an exception to the norm. In early summer we went to the Yukon and in the Fall to the East Coast including PEI. This year we will stay in Alberta and get to know this Province a bit better. (On my finance ministers orders)

photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by photog View Post
We are both retired, so time is no problem and last year was an exception to the norm. In early summer we went to the Yukon and in the Fall to the East Coast including PEI. This year we will stay in Alberta and get to know this Province a bit better. (On my finance ministers orders)
My family and I love visiting Alberta. Drumheller, Edmonton, Calgary, Red Deer, Rocky Mountain House, but Jasper most of all. Miette Hot Springs and the Ice Fields.....WOW.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:44 PM   #11

Update on NHTSA and the Brakes/Seals issue. Spoke w/ Tom Bowman again today at the NHTSA. He has been in contact with FR and the "ball is rolling." He did indicate that one (1) person filed a complaint after mine. While we were on the phone, his Boss came in w/ a bag of grease soaked parts that someone had sent him, but did not know if it was in relation to this matter or not. So, if you've had a wheel seal failure and you have had your brake assemblies replaced due to this issue, please file a complaint with the NHTSA, but be sure to include your VIN# so they can try and narrow the scope of the investigation to the affected series of axles. VERY IMPORTANT AND COULD SAVE A LIFE; MAYBE YOURS!!!
http://www.NHTSA.com
papaj2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #12

I take it this has to do with the Lippert axels having the inner grease seal fail on the hub. Grease leaks out, gets flung all over the place via centrifugal force of wheel spinning. Grease gets on brakes and breaks eventually get weak, fail, etc. I have read about this on a few Forest River brands lately.
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #13

Found this on the Columbus RV Group FB page today. Seems the NHTSA has given Lippert and FR until May 9th to provide ALL the documentation regarding this VERY SERIOUS ISSUE! More to follow as it becomes available!
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM452994/INIS-PE14008-59099.pdf
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM452993/INIM-PE14008-59098.pdf
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM452560/INOA-PE14008-6919.PDF
If you haven't filed a compliant with the NHTSA, it's not too late! Please go to their website and file, even if you have had the repairs done, it is imperative that we get ALL the information out there to hopefully force a recall and prevent someone from getting seriously injured and/or worse, killed. THANKS!
papaj2007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearings