Old 02-27-2013, 12:19 AM   #1
wheel bearings..

I very recently purchased my first rv, and love it. It is a 2003 Cherokee Fifth Wheel. I have been learning some things. For example one of the slide outs was not going out properly, and I had a fellow rv'r help me adjust it etc. I realized the person I purchased it from obviously had never lubricated the gears etc underneath. It was left at a campsite for a long time, and I am wondering if the hubs should be taken off and the bearings checked before I travel much with it. It has grease fittings for the axles etc, and the brakes are working fine, and do not squeal or anything to lead me to believe they are worn. I am just wondering if after coming to the conclusion that the maintenance was not kept up, and also the roof had a leak that took thirty minutes to repair, but they had let it go until I am replacing four feet of the flooring at the back end.. So can you guys with a good bit more experience than me share what I should check etc, to hopefully prevent problems on the road? thanks Jerry Harmon

Jerry Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:08 AM   #2
Remove hubs,check mags,shoes,wires for mice damage,replace Gr.seals,pack wheel hand,remove all rust,and clean and paint non wear surfaces. That is how I would do it. Youroo!!

youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:47 AM   #3
x2 above, if your not mechanically inclined have a good RV shop do it. Also, look at the age of your tires. I have always heard you should replace at least every 5 yrs not matter how they look or mileage. I have seen numerous threads on here regarding age and life of TT tires.
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW 6.7L Powerstroke
pwrstroke2012 is offline   Reply With Quote