Old 03-12-2015, 04:24 PM   #101

Boxed wrong?

wana65stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:24 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by wana65stang View Post
Then you can mess with him because top left seal in his pic is different OD ( outside diameter)
You are right I didn't notice that, Maybe they have a different tolerance in USA made stuff...... I can't believe the Old Man missed that. His eyes are starting to go at 80.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:32 PM   #103
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wana65stang View Post
Boxed wrong?
No, all bagged with a 17144 tag #. Would have eventually caught it when it didn't fit the seal driver.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:37 PM   #104

Been there ,done that, got the t-shirt
wana65stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:25 PM   #105
Mod free 5er

Hey Glenn, got my overseas Timken inner brgs. Now I can start the messy, greasy process. HATE this job!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Timken L68111 Inner Bearing.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	71250  
Old 03-13-2015, 03:43 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Hey Glenn, got my overseas Timken inner brgs. Now I can start the messy, greasy process. HATE this job!
How many miles do you have on the bearings in there now? Must be a bunch. I was hoping to go down there so we can do them both together. I can do the grease bearing work, but you have to pull the wheel. I used to hand pack them all the time. And that was before they came out with the sissy gloves. You need to feel that grease being packed in can't do that with them dam gloves. Good luck if you need help yell, I'm just 2 hours away. You probably done it 100 times already...... You probably repacked them before every race in your old day's. I'm not even going to ask where you got them from.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 03-13-2015, 05:38 PM   #107
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
How many miles do you have on the bearings in there now? Must be a bunch. I was hoping to go down there so we can do them both together. I can do the grease bearing work, but you have to pull the wheel. I used to hand pack them all the time. And that was before they came out with the sissy gloves. You need to feel that grease being packed in can't do that with them dam gloves. Good luck if you need help yell, I'm just 2 hours away. You probably done it 100 times already...... You probably repacked them before every race in your old day's. I'm not even going to ask where you got them from.
Got one finished today, I may get one tomorrow depending on the weather. I don't like driving the old cups out and cleaning the hub even with a parts cleaner it is not a fun job. I did get all the cones packed. May have to go get more grease to fill the cavities tho', I only have 3 tubes left. I have to go get more brake cleaning spray anyway.

As to how many miles on the old bearings, whatever is on the trailer, swag would be around 25,000.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:29 PM   #108

Yea, it's a PITA I agree with that. When you pump the extra grease in do you watch the back seal, and how did they fit? Do you think they will leak on you? Did you find any grease on your brake drums or did the old one hold? Just 3 to go. Maybe not tomorrow being they are predicting rain. any problem with the shoe linings?....One thing I do admire is that you keep that wagon in good shape....
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 03-13-2015, 09:36 PM   #109
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Yea, it's a PITA I agree with that. When you pump the extra grease in do you watch the back seal, and how did they fit? Do you think they will leak on you? Did you find any grease on your brake drums or did the old one hold? Just 3 to go. Maybe not tomorrow being they are predicting rain. any problem with the shoe linings?....One thing I do admire is that you keep that wagon in good shape....
You can't see the seal. Never had grease on the brakes and why would they leak? They are designed not to leak.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:12 PM   #110
Mod free 5er

Well, 2 down and 2 to go, damn I hate this job!

Oh, BTW have I mentioned how much I hate messing with cleaning/replacing cups & cones?

Tags
bearings, wheel