Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2015, 09:37 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Did you get the cups and cones or just the cones? I think the short knurl would be what you want as the studs are recessed in the hub so the magnets don't hit them.
cups and cones, just forgot to add a few studs and lug nuts.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:06 AM   #122
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin73 View Post
To Acadianbob. When you pump all that new grease into your hubs where dose all the old grease go?
Not Acadianbob, and I will probably get a lot of flack, but when pumping new grease in on the old, I would inspect the grease for flakes of metal and if none showed, I would not worry about it. The old grease doesn't wear out. Bottomline, if you're worried about it, just remove the hub and take the cones out and clean and inspect them and the cups, repack, replace the seals and re-install and pump the hubs full. You don't have to take the old grease out unless you find a bad cup or cone.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:55 AM   #123
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
If you kook at how the bearing packer cone tool works and using it correctly, there is no need to rotate any wheel to pack bearings. the bearing receives the same amount of lube thru all the rollers at the same time, and the bearing doesn't get smaller on one side because there's weight on it. if the ez-lube hub grease system is used, it adds lube just like the tool. if you don't like the mess of hand packing, add a bunch of grease to a zip-lock bag and work it in that way. in the old days, we used vasoline in race-car front bearings and no seals....1/4 mile @ a time. less rolling resistance.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:35 PM   #124
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Not Acadianbob, and I will probably get a lot of flack, but when pumping new grease in on the old, I would inspect the grease for flakes of metal and if none showed, I would not worry about it. The old grease doesn't wear out. Bottomline, if you're worried about it, just remove the hub and take the cones out and clean and inspect them and the cups, repack, replace the seals and re-install and pump the hubs full. You don't have to take the old grease out unless you find a bad cup or cone.
If your grease looks like this I would not bother shooting newer grease into the hub. They should be removed, cleaned, and inspected. Or they might damage other components.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1008141229.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	71467   Click image for larger version

Name:	0916131059a.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	71468  
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:42 PM   #125
Mod free 5er

Keep in mind new grease in spotlessly clean hubs with new cups & cones will change color within just a few miles. If in doubt, pull the hub.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:59 PM   #126

Back in the day...wiped what you could out. Pan with gasoline and a brush. Wipe dry and reinstall.

Then we had to get safe and stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearings, wheel