Old 02-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #31

wheel bearings

Those of us who service our own bearings have probably seen that spindles with zerk fittings installed apply grease from the zerk through a tiny channel back to the inner bearing, not to the outer one. They work great for keeping grease in the cavity, but probably not as good at providing fresh grease to the outer bearing. And attempting to replace all of the grease simply by pumping lubricant through the zerk without disassembly and cleaning might be futile, and at the risk of forcing grease into places where it isn't wanted. Prevention is worth a lot; I have had bearing failures and they don't happen in convenient places. Following a complete failure where the bearing is ruined, it's unlikely that it will be repaired along the road especially if the assembly gets so hot that the spindle is ruined too. So, it could be necessary to tow the trailer on three wheels to the nearest service--risky business!

Old 02-23-2015, 01:23 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
Those of us who service our own bearings have probably seen that spindles with zerk fittings installed apply grease from the zerk through a tiny channel back to the inner bearing, not to the outer one. They work great for keeping grease in the cavity, but probably not as good at providing fresh grease to the outer bearing. And attempting to replace all of the grease simply by pumping lubricant through the zerk without disassembly and cleaning might be futile, and at the risk of forcing grease into places where it isn't wanted. Prevention is worth a lot; I have had bearing failures and they don't happen in convenient places. Following a complete failure where the bearing is ruined, it's unlikely that it will be repaired along the road especially if the assembly gets so hot that the spindle is ruined too. So, it could be necessary to tow the trailer on three wheels to the nearest service--risky business!
According to the lit, they include it to grease your inter and outer bearings. I really don't know how to and would admit it. Lippert did tell me that they put in garbage grease and replace it with some good grease rated at 400 degrees they do not come with that. I like the idea of the double seal from Napa, I read in a post, and when I take it to my tire dealer have them install them and add the 400 red by Lukas. Then I can just pump a stroke or to with a hand gun to keep them up.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #33

The grease does flow from the inner to outer bearing. If you fill the cavity up the grease will come out the front of the hub.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:45 PM   #34

dexter has a good vid on youtube. i expand a little on what i feel to be inadequate in the dexter vid on the good old rvs site. got a bearing pack tutorial there. lippert uses a semi viscous grease that should be replaced asap..lost 40% of backing plates on first first year rentals.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:09 PM   #35

In response to Happy Vibe's comment that "grease will come out the front of the hub" when pumping wheel bearing grease in through zerk fittings like Bearing Buddy, yes it will, but they are meant to maintain a full supply of grease around the bearings, not as a means to replace all the grease. This youtube video explains that the vent/overfill system in Bearing Buddy allows gas and small amounts of grease to exit when the cavity is full, and the cup captures what leaks out before it can be spun out and deposit on your rims and tires.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:22 AM   #36

the lippert axle with the zerk is a knockoff of the dexter ez-lube. it was intended for marine applications according to dexter. bearing buddies are superior to the ez lube design and quite different.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:52 AM   #37

I am not sure if a couple of squirts now and then is the correct way to grease....my trailer was pulled from the factory, about 650 miles to dealer, not sure what dealer did to bearing/wheels when it arrived.....drove it a few hundred miles on shake down camp trip so had about a 1000 on it when I pull the high temp red in the zerk....must admit got nervous at how much had to pump but finally the grease came out where it is suppose to....at 8500 miles replaced tires and when they were off the ground did 10/2 grab and wiggle....with no movement...brakes get very little use and all seem to work fine.....as drive slow speeds 56-58 mph and exhaust slows rig almost all the time ...... after get 10k miles on trailer will have bearing professionally replace and brakes checked.....as recommended by trailer service center......I never drive more than two hours without a stop at a rest area....nothing ever gets barely warm and according to temp gun and tpms.....no heat any where...

Good luck to all Speed = heat = problems why hurry your house is with you

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:31 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2liv View Post
I am not sure if a couple of squirts now and then is the correct way to grease....my trailer was pulled from the factory, about 650 miles to dealer, not sure what dealer did to bearing/wheels when it arrived.....drove it a few hundred miles on shake down camp trip so had about a 1000 on it when I pull the high temp red in the zerk....must admit got nervous at how much had to pump but finally the grease came out where it is suppose to....at 8500 miles replaced tires and when they were off the ground did 10/2 grab and wiggle....with no movement...brakes get very little use and all seem to work fine.....as drive slow speeds 56-58 mph and exhaust slows rig almost all the time ...... after get 10k miles on trailer will have bearing professionally replace and brakes checked.....as recommended by trailer service center......I never drive more than two hours without a stop at a rest area....nothing ever gets barely warm and according to temp gun and tpms.....no heat any where...

Good luck to all Speed = heat = problems why hurry your house is with you
I remember when I got my unit Herk told me to check the bearing grease to fill it up. I did it took a tube and a half. After 2 years they replaced my hubs and breaks at Goshen he said my seals where still good on the old. But Herk told me to take my time and use a hand gun. The factory guy told me the same thing, just a couple of squirts, but said they did not use a good grease and should replace it by hand with a gun until I see the new grease come out. I drive about like you for 3 years now and shoot my hubs and have tmps on. No problem yet, so I guess I will keep it up.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:39 AM   #39

I'm not a TT guy, but a good in-flight check I do when pulling a trailer, is feel for any excess heat build up on each axle, at every fill-up. That is a good indicator wether you have adequate grease at the inner and outer bearings.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:59 AM   #40

Frozen the ez-lube axle is nothing like a bearing buddy. The grease goes down the center of the axle and then through holes in the back side. The grease then flows through the inner bearing, then the cavity and then the outer bearing and finally comes out the front of the axle. You need to look at the videos that are on line to get a better idea of how they work.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearings, wheel