Old 08-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #1

Wheel Bearings - Over cautious or????

I have a 2010 FR TT that I purchased new.. It now has 6K miles on it.. The axles and hubs are Lippert.. As of yet I have not experienced any hot or higher than normal hub temperatures on any of the 4 wheels. Given my navy background training (preventative maintenance), I think that it would be wise to have them repacked and checked before something occurs. Most of our RV traveling companions are telling me this is a waste of time / money money since no issues have surfaced so far. Opinions ?? Comments?? How often do you check and repack your trailer wheel bearings??

STGCM(SW) USN Ret 30 yrs.
Adony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
ARLO

If it were my TT, I would also replace the bearings with a higher quality one made in the USA. Too many stories about the cheap Chinese bearings for me to trust them. Cheap insurance.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #3

Owner's manual for our axles says repack every year or 5,000 miles, whichever comes first. I have them checked every year - in NY the dealer is required to pull one wheel as part of the annual inspection. They do a visual and make a recommendation on when to do bearings and brakes. Mechanic says it varies, but usually every 2-3 years is typical.

I wouldn't wait until you have a problem - that's for sure. It is fairly pricey to have it done at a dealer, but a little pm can save a lot of headaches later.

As for USA bearings - good luck. They are pretty scarce. Depending on what condition the existing ones are in, you can probably just re-pack and be good to go. If you do replace, its like tires - get a quality brand - that matters more than where its made. Most of Timken's wheel bearings are made in China or someplace outside the US but like a Goodyear Marathon tire, you are gettting a better product than a no-name throw away.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #4

Most bearing supply houses can get good bearings...you will pay for the luxury. I think the next most important thing is to use good grease. If it's $2-3 dollars... Then keep on looking. Synthetic, No.2, high pressure/high temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #5

Do it!!!!!!!!!
I took mine apart when it was new.
It gives you the chance to look for little broken or worn bits and discoloration, etc..
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #6

Does your unit come with grease zerks already installed? If it does, just very gently, slowly pump some high temp grease in until all of the old is out. Do not bust the seals on the inside.

My last camper, I hand packed/greased the bearing 3 times in 15 years. If no zerks.... go ahead and hand pack them your self... it is easy.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #7

preventive maintenance, generally can keep you off the side of road.....if it doesn't have the bearing buddy with grease zerts, I would add those if you can, when you pack them.....I always give my camper a couple of shots each trip.

My opinion, if it is something you are going to keep, then it would not hurt to replace the bearings, since you are going to have it tore down anyway. then keep a couple of the old ones for spare....

Agree with grease choice, dont waste your money on cheap...get a good water resistant syn. high temp bearing grease.....

good luck....

Outlawadventurer
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually 6.7L
2014 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4
OutlawAdventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:19 PM   #8
ARLO

When I worked in the real world years ago, Timken was made in USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
Owner's manual for our axles says repack every year or 5,000 miles, whichever comes first. I have them checked every year - in NY the dealer is required to pull one wheel as part of the annual inspection. They do a visual and make a recommendation on when to do bearings and brakes. Mechanic says it varies, but usually every 2-3 years is typical.

I wouldn't wait until you have a problem - that's for sure. It is fairly pricey to have it done at a dealer, but a little pm can save a lot of headaches later.

As for USA bearings - good luck. They are pretty scarce. Depending on what condition the existing ones are in, you can probably just re-pack and be good to go. If you do replace, its like tires - get a quality brand - that matters more than where its made. Most of Timken's wheel bearings are made in China or someplace outside the US but like a Goodyear Marathon tire, you are gettting a better product than a no-name throw away.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:31 PM   #9

We do about 8000 mls. a year, so I get mine done every year. Camping World has a special for bearing repack, brake adjustment and suspension inspection. It cost about $235.00 for 4 wheels. Could do it myself but for the price it's not worth the trouble. I don't like the buddy bearing caps, don't know what really going on inside unless it's opened up to see. Had friends pump their brakes full of grease by trying to go the cheap way.

CW been doing mine for three yrs now and gives me piece of mind on our travels.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlocicero View Post
When I worked in the real world years ago, Timken was made in USA.

Add them to the list of "global" companies. They make stuff all over. Most of the Canton OH operation went to India a few years ago.

Still they make a better product than many of the no-name parts out there. I guess you can't blame them when the market is flooded with low price stuff and they have to stay competitive.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearings, wheel