Old 08-09-2015, 11:24 PM   #1

Wheel Well Liner

I have a 2013 Mini-Lite 23LB I bought new two years ago. I've been reading some of the tire threads on this forum and decided to take a close look at my tires. I was surprised to see something I've hadn't noticed before: a wheel well liner hanging down, close to the top of one of the tires. I removed the fender trim and found almost 1 inch of calking between the liner and the bottom of the outer wall frame. No wonder the liner wasn't attached against the wall frame and was hanging down near the tire. Who ever put this together didn't give a damn about quality as long as most of this sloppy workmanship was covered by the wheel well trim. There had to be contact between the wheel well liner and tire every time my TT hit a good size bump. There were also many voids in the caulking that may have allowed moister to enter the area between the top of the wheel well liner and flooring. Luckily, I didn't find any water damage there and that tire still looked good. I repaired this by first cleaning the outer top of the liner edge with acetone (where the old caulking was), added a fresh, thin, bead of caulk and reattached the liner to the bottom of the outer wall frame with four stainless screws with washers. Hopefully I caught it before any tire (or other) damage occurred. Below are a few "before & after" photos to better explain. With shoddy workmanship as described above (I also read about it everyday on various FR threads), it's no wonder there are many tire, amongst other, issues with RVs today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheelwell1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	85256   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheelwell2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	85257   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheelwell3.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	85258   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheelwell4.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	85259   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheelwell5.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	85260  

https://www.glenphotos.com
WatkinsGlenCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:36 PM   #2

I love to see anyone use genuine American ingenuity to solve a problem. You SIR, have done just that. IMO: You did a great job at repairing this wheel well problem. From what you described you repaired this properly so that it will last a long time. OH-the tire chocks also reflect your talents.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:53 PM   #3

Thurman...
Thank you for the kind words. But to be honest, I guess almost every RV owner has to be a sort of "jack of all trades" just to keep up with issues that occur more often than they should considering the dollar$ we've shelled out for our toys.

I built the wheel chocks using 2 small load binders, 4 eye bolts, a few nuts and washers and treated wood. Once they're locked into place the tires will only skid if trying to move the TT (I'm guilty of not removing them a couple of times).
Old 08-10-2015, 05:35 PM   #4

Hey Watkins Glen Camper, I used to live very near there. I grew up on Keuka Lake and I had a couple of Penn Yan boats. They don't build boats like those with all the oak ribs and canvas anymore. They were about the best thing going in the 50s when I was buzzing around the lake. I visited the plant in Penn Yan a few times.

I remember when they used to race F-1 through the streets of Watkins Glen. I also attended many races as a NY State Trooper in the 60s and 70s. They used to raise a bit of mischief up there in those days. Loved all the cars and crowd.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #5

V-Lite Fun,
Keuka Lake is one of the nicest and best places there is (in my opinion). As a kid and teen I spent many summers at Keuka...the very best years of my life! And you're right about not making boats today like the ol' wooden Penn Yans. I have a 1952 PY Swift that still looks and runs just as good as it did 63 years ago!

I've been attending races at "The Glen" since 1962 (I was 11 years old for my first time there - United States F1 Grand Prix). I think you are putting it sort of mild with the word "mischief" as I saw things going on there during those years that would never be allowed, in any shape or form, in today's world. You being a State Trooper there at the time, I bet you saw things most can't even imagine. And the F1 crowds were much larger (by at least double) than any NASCAR weekends held there. Today at Watkins things are very much milder as compared to the '70's and the goings on at The Bog.

Wooden boats on Keuka Lake & F1 weekends at Watkins Glen...V-Lite Fun, guys like you and I experianced the best of the best of times. All I can say is "It was fun while it lasted..."

Check out my website for photos of my Penn Yan as well as photos I took from the 1960's to present day race weekends at Watkins Glen.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:23 PM   #6

The bog! I was trying to remember what they called it. Too many years gone by. I remember one year they burned up a bus down there. It used to get pretty wild.

The Swift was one of the coolest boats ever built. Put about 30 horses on one and go like the wind. 30 hp was a big motor in the 50s. We had a place on Keuka until a couple years ago. Taxes and upkeep didn't make keeping it very practical.

Learned to scuba dive there back in the 60s. Spent weekends looking for new girls to take for a ride in the boat. They were the best days. Thanks for sharing. I will check out the website.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:47 PM   #7

And by the way, I screwed-up on the description of my wheel chocks in a post above. It should read: 2 eye bolts and 2 short lengths of threaded rod.

Tags
wheel