Old 04-10-2019, 03:56 AM   #1

When to repack bearings?

So this summer will be the 4th season for our Catalina. According to my truck, we have pulled it about 8,000 miles so far. When should I repack the bearings?Do you all go by a certain amount of time, mileage, a combination? And what is a good price for having this done? I'm afraid I will screw it up more by trying it myself. I did it once on an old pop-up years ago and remember it being kind of a pain.

A2pfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:34 AM   #2

That's always a tough one. Some do it every season, some do it every couple of years. I went by mileage on mine and did them around 10,000 miles. I figured...I don't do the bearings on my cars every year and I'm putting way more miles on the truck than I put on the TT. Really it's kind of a personal preference.

TheWolfPaq82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:41 AM   #3
Prime Member

I jack up my trailer and give the wheels a spin then I listen, feel and shake. If the bearings are quiet, there's no noise and the wheel doesn't feel loose I'm good to go.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I jack up my trailer and give the wheels a spin then I listen, feel and shake. If the bearings are quiet, there's no noise and the wheel doesn't feel loose I'm good to go.
Probably the best...Quick Check...anyone could do. Maybe pop the dust cap for a quick visual.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
I figured...I don't do the bearings on my cars every year and I'm putting way more miles on the truck than I put on the TT. Really it's kind of a personal preference.
The bearings on your modern car and truck are sealed and do not require repacking. The trailer bearings are not and require periodic repacking. Completely different animal.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
So this summer will be the 4th season for our Catalina. According to my truck, we have pulled it about 8,000 miles so far. When should I repack the bearings?Do you all go by a certain amount of time, mileage, a combination? And what is a good price for having this done? I'm afraid I will screw it up more by trying it myself. I did it once on an old pop-up years ago and remember it being kind of a pain.
I do mine myself and do it once a year. Easy job and it gives me piece of mind. At the same time, I inspect all the suspension and brakes. But we use our trailer more than most.

In your case, I would have it done at least every two years. Cost around here is $250 for someone to repack bearings on two axles.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:30 AM   #7

Now that I've seen some other posts, I'm thinking I'll probably do it when I pick up the camper in a few weeks. It hasn't been done since it came from the factory, and we plan to take it to the Grand Canyon and back this summer. A few miles from Michigan... So I guess for peace of mind, I'd rather do it. I found a video which made it look super easy. I'm sure that means I'm end up halfway through the job swearing in my driveway as something goes wrong . Next question: should I just go ahead and plan to replace bearings or reuse the originals? Are bearings like tires in that they use super cheap ones from the factory that are no good?
A2pfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
That's always a tough one. Some do it every season, some do it every couple of years. I went by mileage on mine and did them around 10,000 miles. I figured...I don't do the bearings on my cars every year and I'm putting way more miles on the truck than I put on the TT. Really it's kind of a personal preference.
This works for me as well. I had mine done after 4 years and about 8,000 km (5,000 miles). My dealer told me that the original bearings were fine and showed no sign of unusual wear.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:51 AM   #9

I only replace bearings if they need it. But bearings aren't that expensive, so either way is good.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
The bearings on your modern car and truck are sealed and do not require repacking. The trailer bearings are not and require periodic repacking. Completely different animal.
When I redid the rear drums on my daughters Ford Focus two years ago, they weren't much different than what is on my trailer.

Tags
bearings