Old 02-04-2016, 10:43 AM   #11
dgibbs1955

My 5er has maybe 1200 miles on the original tires, (ST280-80-R16), but are coming up on 3 years old. It does a lot of sitting in one spot. I am doing a 3000 mile trip up from Texas through Iowa then over to Ohio, down to Alabama then New Orleans before back to Texas. The tires are E Load rated, but can't find the speed rating anywhere. My question is would it be best to replace all 4 tires with some Goodyear TowPro's and should I have my bearings repacked???? Really don't want to any tire problems on this trip....Suggestions anyone???

2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Crew Cab 4X4, "Decluttered" and Tuned/2013 Forrest River Viper XLR 390V10 Toy Hauler/2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide CVO.
Full time RVer.
dgibbs1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #12

Having that few miles on those tires might be just as bad as them aging out in another year, but who knows. I assume they're imports of some kind, probably Chinese. ST tires typically on RVs tend to be speed-rated at 65mph so I wouldn't exceed that. Seems most people replace with Sailun or GY 614s, I don't know about Towpros. I'm in the 2-year group for repacking wheel bearings and it appears you're overdue.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #13

Thumbs up

What's up with all this tire talk? I talked to a guy in campground next to me about his tires on his 5 er. He said he runs 75 to80 mph. I said aren't you worried about blow outs? He said no he changes tires no mater what every 3 yes. He owns a tire co. Must be nice! I'll just keep mine at65mph.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:42 AM   #14
Occasional campers

Bearing pack--do it! & speed ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgibbs1955 View Post
My 5er has maybe 1200 miles on the original tires, (ST280-80-R16), but are coming up on 3 years old. It does a lot of sitting in one spot. I am doing a 3000 mile trip up from Texas through Iowa then over to Ohio, down to Alabama then New Orleans before back to Texas. The tires are E Load rated, but can't find the speed rating anywhere. My question is would it be best to replace all 4 tires with some Goodyear TowPro's and should I have my bearings repacked???? Really don't want to any tire problems on this trip....Suggestions anyone???
Particularly if you haven't had bearings packed in a while, my advice is absolutely, get it done. With our travel trailer we lost both axles because our bearings weren't packed properly (repairs were covered by our dealer). And the axles had to be ordered, so the trailer was out of commission for a while each time (same bad pack job). With the first instance, the trailer was stranded hundreds of miles from home.
As far as tire speed ratings are concerned, you may have to do some web searching to find information--in most cases you'll find 65 mph, but there are some exceptions. Ours are rated a little higher, but I regard that as safety margin; I aim for 65 except for short spurts like passing.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:05 PM   #15

I had Westlake tires on my first Cedar Creek and they seem alright to me. I had a TPMS on the tires and I ran like 75 and 80, not all the time. I have G614 on Cedar Creek now. I normally run about 63 but occasionally I run a little faster. If you have Westlake tires I would stay with them until they wear out. Don't get me wrong a lot of tires made in China aren't any good but Westlake did ok for me

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:23 PM   #16

Found these tires on www.countrywide tire.com. and have them on my 2013 silverback. (235/80R/16E) power touring YTR06. Load rated at 3520#(on my tire) speed rated 81mph.(on web site) 5000mi. And still looks new. FR put these on a 6000lb. Axle. There called master track.

Tags
tire, tires