Old 07-14-2016, 01:07 PM   #11
I replaced my tires the first year due to one blowout. If you buy Michelin XPS RIB tired you will never wear them out. There good for ten years from mfg date at which time you will sadly have to replace them.

Gary and Donna
2005 Cardinal 33TS-LX
Trail Air pin box
Center Point suspension
2005 F-350 6.0 psd CC SRW
PullRite Super 5th
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:21 PM   #12
Originally Posted by Golfnbike13 View Post
What kind of mileage to people usually get on their stock tires? I've only got less than 1500 on these but getting ready for a 3000 mile trip
I don't think most of us with trailers even pay attention to the miles on the trailer tires. Unless something is misaligned you will never wear them out before they need replacing.

But if you are on your second year with the stock tires and going on a long trip, I would replace them with better quality tires.

Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:26 PM   #13
my 14 Flagstaff 832IKBS was in it's 2nd year (extended?) warranty when i noticed the OEMs were NOT side cracking (dry-wall?).. but IN THE TREAD PATTERN!!! Might be another place to look for tell-tale signs!
FR replaced them (through Lionshead) under the extended warranty.. but i've since moved on to another set with the next higher load range.
Just something to look at when making your decision..
14 Flagstaff 832IKBS/Platinum
pulled by 07 GMC 2500HD/Duramax CC 4x4 with a ranch hand bumper, hadley air, piaa fogs, topper w/rack and a bed-slide!
prev: 07 Rockwood 8314SS.. most of the options..
woody9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:26 PM   #14
Replace Chinese bombs

Our trailer was a year old to us in late May. We went to Florida for vacation from Georgia. Am thankful for a truck breaking down. If not for the loss of the water pump in the truck, we would have had a tire explode. This is the second trailer with the same issue after 2 trips. REPLACE your trailer tires as soon as possible. It will save you a lot of time and money repairing your camper.
CHINESE BOMBS are the cheap way out for the manufactor's. They know that the tires are horrible but still keep putting them on. Shame on the RV company's.
gtdmce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:09 PM   #15

We also have a 2016 Cardinal 3250 5th Wheel. We have had numerous warranty issues with no satisfactory correction from the dealer or the factory. What has been your experience??
Jakie-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:17 PM   #16
Site Team
It is very rare for trailer tires to require replacement due to mileage or wear. Most RV tires fail due to under inflation and age. I usually replace mine the third year if the date code on the tires was fairly current when I bought the RV. The cost of repairs to the RV from a blown tire are usually significantly more than the cost of new tires. Not counting wasted vacation time. It always bothers me to take off like new ( looking) tires, but I don't dread trips. I also have a TPMS.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:20 PM   #17
The issue with trailer tires has more to do with initial quality and longevity than it does with tread wear. Our 2004 Komfort Travel Trailer came equipped with cheap Chinese imitation Goodyear Marathon tires. Turns out they were manufactured several years before they were actually installed on our trailer. Make sure you check the build date on the sidewall of all tires before accepting delivery.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:40 PM   #18

Agree with your assessment of trailer tires 100%. Summer of 2010, my wife and I started out on a cross-country trip with four "like-new" trailer tires, and we experienced blowouts with three of the four before the summer trip was over. At the end of our vacation, we had four different tires from four different manufacturers on our rig!! Fortunately, damage to our trailer from the blowouts was limited to some cosmetic scarring.

We have invested in a TPMS system for our new 5th wheel!
Old 07-14-2016, 11:00 PM   #19
Trie sidewalls are subject to damage from the UV rays. most of the time the damage is done while in storage. But the wear you described sound more like running with low air pressure and maybe a little over loaded. There are several threads here on this subject and I think you'll find the consensus is protect your tires from the sun, use recommended sidewall PSI and change them out with no more than three year on them.
Las Cruces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:46 AM   #20
I replace mine when I can see the letters ST on the sidewall.

Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote

tire, tires