Old 04-06-2016, 04:09 PM   #21

I am on my second set of Michelin LT tires on my big 5er. No problems.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:52 PM   #22

[QUOTE=Davidg;1155026]Hondo, I think mine say Thailand. I hope my next new word isn't Thaibombs![/QUOTE

LOL-I agree 100%. I hope I don't have any problems in the future. I made my decision mostly from the positive comments on this forum, including going from LR D to E.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:57 PM   #23
ARLO

I have had good luck with Cooper on my truck and will probably use them on my tt when i need to replace them. I use 10 ply E rated only.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:17 PM   #24

Have had Michelins under my trailer for 4 years with no problems. Installed Yokohama Geloanders on my equally last year. Really any decent brand LT tire you can get a good price on will work. I am not a fan of GoodYears.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo View Post
I know that. I was just pointing out that the Maxxix tires aren't made in china.
Thailand , and we never had ANY tire trouble going through two sets on our Heatland fthwheel.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
Why do you think a RV manufacturer would design axle spacing just to make it difficult for the eventual owner. This must be a decision made by some risk management group. Overall, I guess I fail to see the downside for them to make it easier for me to put higher quality tires on a trailer. I'm curious what your thoughts are.
Center of gravity on a RV trailer with tandem axles seems to be the point of interest with the designers. They know the tires are going to skid a lot in turns, especially tight turns. Iíve turned real tight on pavement before that left pieces of rubber in the skid marks. Never noticed that much with my tandem axle boat trailers. But, none of them had the load of my RV trailer.

A lot of people that write about tires get confused about the regulations the trailer manufacturers must follow when building our trailers. The regulations for commercial tires differ considerably and are often used when describing servicing of RV trailer tires.

RV trailer tires, no matter what design (ST - LT - P), are fitted in accordance with FMVSS regulations and what the trailer manufacturer deems appropriate. Once you own it itís up to you, unless, the trailer manufacturer has provided optional fitments. If not, its use what they used or find something of equal or better load capacity and quality. One thing you should always keep in mind is; tire retailers do not always have your best interests in mind when selling you some tires. They may know tire industry standards and just not practice them all the time.

Just a note: The trailer manufacturer's do not lock in tires by brand, just size. Therefore you're encouraged to look at all of the brands in your desired size. Maybe going up a single load range will suffice. I look for tires with proven warranty coverage.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:09 AM   #27
RetiredRVer

I don't have Michelin tires on my TT, but do have them on my Chevy 2500 as O.E. Keep in mind that Michelin has 170 production facilities around the world....including 2 facilities in China. Some of the tire products produced there include utility trailer tires. (None of the production facilities listed "RV tires". Just utility trailer tires.) Almost every country listed produces utility trailer tires. So the next time you buy those Michelin tires, check to be sure they aren't "made in China!"
Old 04-07-2016, 01:24 AM   #28

Just because a product is made in China does not always make it inferior. If the company that makes the product sticks to the strict quality control as North American made products you will not have a problem.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:55 AM   #29
RetiredRVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Just because a product is made in China does not always make it inferior. If the company that makes the product sticks to the strict quality control as North American made products you will not have a problem.
I agree Terry.....I was just pointing out that those Michelin tires could be produced in China. That seems to be a real issue with most of the posters. I have China produced tires on my TT with around 12,000 miles on them. No problems thus far. Just sayin'!
Old 04-07-2016, 08:18 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Center of gravity on a RV trailer with tandem axles seems to be the point of interest with the designers. They know the tires are going to skid a lot in turns, especially tight turns. Iíve turned real tight on pavement before that left pieces of rubber in the skid marks. Never noticed that much with my tandem axle boat trailers. But, none of them had the load of my RV trailer.

A lot of people that write about tires get confused about the regulations the trailer manufacturers must follow when building our trailers. The regulations for commercial tires differ considerably and are often used when describing servicing of RV trailer tires.

RV trailer tires, no matter what design (ST - LT - P), are fitted in accordance with FMVSS regulations and what the trailer manufacturer deems appropriate. Once you own it itís up to you, unless, the trailer manufacturer has provided optional fitments. If not, its use what they used or find something of equal or better load capacity and quality. One thing you should always keep in mind is; tire retailers do not always have your best interests in mind when selling you some tires. They may know tire industry standards and just not practice them all the time.

Just a note: The trailer manufacturer's do not lock in tires by brand, just size. Therefore you're encouraged to look at all of the brands in your desired size. Maybe going up a single load range will suffice. I look for tires with proven warranty coverage.

Good information. Thanks

Tags
tire