Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2016, 10:41 PM   #1

Which 16" LT tire? Not a debate on ST versus LT

Hi,
I'm tired of ST tires blowouts and am switching from a 15" ST tire to a 16" LT tire which has about the same load capacity (actually a bit more but that's ok).

I'm looking at LT225/75R16 tires and was wondering what brand and model people recommend.

Please don't make this thread a debate about ST versus LT. My mind is made up and I am not going to use China bombs anymore.

Thanks!
T
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:16 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Pm bombdoc he may have put firestones on his Sabre and loves them!

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:39 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You are correct! Firestone Transforce. Been working like a champ!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:36 AM   #4

I installed Michelin XPS Ribs on my 2010, 318SAB Cougar. These might not fit your trailer but you could look into them as an alternative to see if they would. The size I used was LT245/75R/16E. I installed them around April 2012 and were still on the trailer when I traded the trailer in for my 2016, 34RL Cedar Creek last MAY.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #5

Check tire outside diameter to make sure you have clearance between the tires, and between the fender well. Otherwise not a bad idea if the tire can handle the weight with a safety margin.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #6

I got rid of my china bombs last fall and my research found many good reviews on the Maxxis 8008 tires. I went from LR D to E. I've put about 900 miles on them and they still look like new.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo View Post
I got rid of my china bombs last fall and my research found many good reviews on the Maxxis 8008 tires. I went from LR D to E. I've put about 900 miles on them and they still look like new.
They're a ST tire, which the OP doesn't want.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
They're a ST tire, which the OP doesn't want.
I know that. I was just pointing out that the Maxxix tires aren't made in china.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #9

Quote:
I know that. I was just pointing out that the Maxxix tires aren't made in china.
Don't be so sure.

"Operating under the name Maxxis in some countries, Cheng Shin has operations in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam, United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, Netherlands, Japan and Dubai. The company employs 28,000 people, and its products are distributed in approximately 170 countries."
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #10

When shopping around for LT tires to replace Original Equipment ST tires you should consider a retailer that will sell you some kind of warranty package because none of the major brand LT tire manufacturers will knowingly warranty such replacements. (I can provide references from my files if you don’t know where to look).

Make sure you register the replacement tires. A lot of retailers will provide the documents and leave it up to you to get them activated.

The straight highway rib design of LT tire is best suited for RV trailer service.

Normally a larger tire replacement becomes very difficult. RV trailer manufacturers notoriously position tandem axles very close to each other, they may have even situated them to only accommodate the size of the OE tires. Without knowing your actual OE tire size it’s going to be hard for some to give you valid replacement size information.

It’s very important to use replacement tires with enough load capacity to match the load capacity of the OE tires
Old 04-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #11
Canadian Member

Since trailer tires are not on drive wheels, is there any advantage in getting an "all terrain" tread vs. highway?
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:48 PM   #12

I had good service from BFG Commercial TA's on our previous 5er. If weights dictated I would look at that tire again.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:04 PM   #13
Retired May 2015

I swear by the Michelin XPS Rib. I am on my second set of E rated ones. The first set weather checked due to the hot sw sun. Being as I was retiring soon (May 2015) I decided to get a fresh set from discount tire. I asked for the freshest date code in the warehouse and purchased the replacement warranty. Also installed all steel valve stems (don't leak down). They run cool. I typically drive 6-7 hours per day when on the road and check air when cold to 80psi. While you are at it pack your wheel bearings and check your shackles and bushings at the same time. I caught an OEM shackle just ready to fail and changed to the Dexter E-Z flex wet kit. I will do anything I can to prevent a breakdown. Just my .02 cents worth sorry for the long "soap box" post. Happy travels.
Retired 4/30/15
Traveling with new pup "Sammie". Boston Bull Terrier/chihuahua (Bo-huahua). Pronounced Bow wow wow.
dwcjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:08 PM   #14

Ditto on the Michelin XPS Ribs, I bought these about 5 years ago, still doing great. Run at 80 psi. and very seldom need to add any air, which I can't explain why but they seem to hold air for long periods.
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridela View Post
Ditto on the Michelin XPS Ribs, I bought these about 5 years ago, still doing great. Run at 80 psi. and very seldom need to add any air, which I can't explain why but they seem to hold air for long periods.
It has to do with the inner liner. Michelin used a very thin liner, but it prevents bleed through very well. I think they've always been like that. The only downside to it is that when you're buffing the liner to apply a patch it is really easy to burn through it. Helluva good tire.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:38 PM   #16

I've had the same Michelin XPS Ribs on my 5th wheel for 7 years, about 40,000 miles, without so much as a flat tire. Check them regularly and have to add about 5# air once a year. Michelin classifies this tire as a RV/Commercial tire with a replacement interval of 10 years/ 90,000 mile warranty. They are qualified for retread if someone wants to do that. Pricey, about $300 each, but cheap by the mile. They are as near to being "worry free" as any tire I know.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
Don't be so sure.

"Operating under the name Maxxis in some countries, Cheng Shin has operations in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam, United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, Netherlands, Japan and Dubai. The company employs 28,000 people, and its products are distributed in approximately 170 countries."
Well I guess I stand partially corrected. Mine say made in Taiwan.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:46 PM   #18
Cutty

I bought Toya's but after having to adjust the pressures (the old tires took 38lbs the new ones 45 when not towing 55 to 60 when towing) and those darn pressure sending units do not like the pressure above 45lbs and blows the packing out of them. I'm not sure if I would have gone with LT's. First of all they are very heavy and I lost almost 3 MPEG's and they want to rub every time I turn too sharp. The ride is much harder and they bonce when cold. And the big thing they were not cheap. Buy good tires keep the LBS correct and weight distribution set right and you shouldn't have problems. Just my opinion I wouldn't buy LT's if I had to do over again.
bbcutright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:53 PM   #19

[Quote: When shopping around for LT tires to replace Original Equipment ST tires you should consider a retailer that will sell you some kind of warranty package because none of the major brand LT tire manufacturers will knowingly warranty such replacements. (I can provide references from my files if you don’t know where to look).

Make sure you register the replacement tires. A lot of retailers will provide the documents and leave it up to you to get them activated.

The straight highway rib design of LT tire is best suited for RV trailer service.

Normally a larger tire replacement becomes very difficult. RV trailer manufacturers notoriously position tandem axles very close to each other, they may have even situated them to only accommodate the size of the OE tires. Without knowing your actual OE tire size it’s going to be hard for some to give you valid replacement size information.

It’s very important to use replacement tires with enough load capacity to match the load capacity of the OE tires. endquote]

Airdale, I agree with everything you said. But why do you think a RV manufacturer would design axle spacing just to make it difficult for the eventual owner. This must be a decision made by some risk management group. Overall, I guess I fail to see the downside for them to make it easier for me to put higher quality tires on a trailer. I'm curious what your thoughts are. I've read where they design to the part "most likely to fail". Maybe they design so that tires fail before bearings? before axles? Protection of frame?
Certainly, of those choices, the tires are the easiest part to replace on the side of the interstate.

I want to tell you how much I appreciate the knowledge you share on this forum. I look forward to your posts that reflect so much wisdom,...especially concerning tires. You have certainly influenced my tire decisions.

Thank you.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Well I guess I stand partially corrected. Mine say made in Taiwan.
Hondo, I think mine say Thailand. I hope my next new word isn't Thaibombs!

Tags
tire