Old 03-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #21
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtodds View Post
Since then I have a 1/2 impact with all the sockets, a 3/8 air ratchet, blow guns, inflater, paint spray gun, etc. I haven't picked up a lug wrench in years and I can rotate the tires on my truck in 15 minutes! It really pays for itself, and as I seem to be getting older for some reason it really saves the back! lol
For the road I have a little piece of crap 12v with a 20' extension wire and a plug hit for nails etc. Works great in a jam.
1) Just remember an impact wrench does not torque the lugs to the correct torque for your lug nut size. A final pass with the torque wrench is needed to make sure it is correct. It may also over-torque; so loosen the lug slightly; then final tighten. As you most likely know, an under torqued nut can come off; an over-torqued one can break the lug stud.

2) I carry a small 110 VAC pancake compressor with me when we travel. The 12 VDC type will not inflate my truck tires (80PSI) or my camper tires (60 PSI) without getting so hot it shuts down. I justify the weight of the pancake because it does double (triple?) duty as an air grinder (dogs raptor claw toe nails), tire inflater; and impact wrench.

Since the generator is in its own home in the truck bed, cranking it up on the road to run the compressor is no trouble.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #22

If all you want to do is air up your tires, it is hard to beat the MasterFlow Tsunami MF-1050. It is very popular with off roaders, who air down for off road travel and then have to air up all four tires (usually large) for return to highway travel.

At a fraction of the cost, it offers performance very similar to the expensive respected quality units, such as Viair. Mine has worked flawlessly for over 5 years now.

At the time of this review it was known as the SuperFlow MV-50, but is the same as the current MasterFlow MF-1050 and the price has also gone up considerably since the time of the review, but it still offers about the most bang for the buck, if your objective is to simply air up your tires.

Tire Inflator Comparison

Current info:
MasterFlow

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn5995 View Post
Did you see those inflation times and temps!

Near 300 degrees is no walk in the park.
Nasty burn for sure putting that pump away.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #24

It does get hot. I let it cool down before putting it away. Those high temps in the review are pushing them to the extreme by inflating a tire from 0 to 80 PSI. The high temperatures arise as the tire gets to the higher PSI. In my use it has not been that bad.

It has worked well for me. After an off-road excursion when we begin to air up, I have found it does not take me much longer than those with the Viair compressors (excellent product). With the MasterFlow being available for around $80 compared to the Viair 400P for $200 and the Viair 450P for $285, it is a good value.

In the review, if you click on each of the compressors, it will give specific information for each. In the case of the SuperFlow, it was just thrown in at the last minute with little expectation. It surprised them!

Superflow MV-50

For my infrequent use it is a good value and I have the peace of mind that it will get the job done when needed, it might just take a minute or two longer and get a little hotter.

Take care and Happy Camping!

Glenn

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
Old 03-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #25

My apologies to the OP. I realize my post doesn't address your question regarding an AC compressor for home use. I posted this info for anyone which might come upon this thread while looking for information on portable compressors they can keep with them in thier vehicle.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
Old 03-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
My apologies to the OP. I realize my post doesn't address your question regarding an AC compressor for home use. I posted this info for anyone which might come upon this thread while looking for information on portable compressors they can keep with them in thier vehicle.
I think that was very valuable Glenn!
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks All.

Its true that I want this for home use only as I got the 12v side covered already with my little portable.

Besides, my little trailer is already out of room for all of the tools I would like to take with me.

This is what I have gathered from our conversation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
This is what I use for filling tires and it is capable of running numerous other things like air nailers etc. I paid a couple hundred for it if memory serves. I have synthetic compressor oil in it and I can run it at -30 no problem.

Wood Industries, Inc. - Air Compressor Product Page
John, that Iron Horse is really nice and I would consider it for a more permanent placement in my little workshop. I like the cast iron construction but the weight means its a little less portable than I want. Need to lug it out of the garage and to the trailer, etc. The only other thing is that its oil lube and I'm desperately trying to simplify my life. I'm leaning towards the oil-free so that I don't need to maintain it too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
IMO you will be disappointed with that model. If you have any kind of fill to do at all, it will take forever. I'd go with at least a 2 gallon and preferably a 4 gallon. You can get a good one for less than $200. CFM is important once your intitial pressure is gone; or you'll have a long wait to fill. You may find other uses besides your tires; like a compressed air "blower" to clean out radiators, lawn mower, etc. You need CFM to do these things.

Puma Oil-Free Twin Tank Air Compressor — 2-Gallon, 1 HP, 2.2 CFM, Model# LA5721 | Single Stage Electric Air Compressors | Northern Tool + Equipment
I gather that one gallon might suffice, but 2-6 gallons offer greater capacity and SCFM. A bigger torpedo or pancake compressor than the little Porter-cable I linked to allows me to grow into it.

This Puma is something to consider. Looks sturdy, two-gallon, 2.2CFM, and oil-free. Its 42lbs which would be the max I would want. I was intially looking at staying around $100 but think I need to budget a little higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtodds View Post
If your just topping off tires, any pancake compressor will do just fine. Even when a tire is really low its probably not going to take more than a 1/2 cf of 55psi air.
BUT!
I started looking for the same thing years ago and came across a twin stage 30 gallon unit for around $300 I think it was. Its in the closed attic of my garage with a regulator on the wall down stairs. Since then I have a 1/2 impact with all the sockets, a 3/8 air ratchet, blow guns, inflator, paint spray gun, etc. I haven't picked up a lug wrench in years and I can rotate the tires on my truck in 15 minutes! It really pays for itself, and as I seem to be getting older for some reason it really saves the back! lol
For the road I have a little piece of crap 12v with a 20' extension wire and a plug hit for nails etc. Works great in a jam.
My wife would kill me if I did this. She's still grousing over the table saw that I have in the corner, which hasn't been used since I renovated her sun room. Not to mention all the tools that she never seems to see value in like I do.

Quote:
Glenn, its perfectly fine to have put in your thoughts with regards to 12V compressors. Not a problem at all

Thanks again to all for their thoughts.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

The final choice. Which would you choose ...

OK, based on your advice, and my needs, this is what I have narrowed down to for an oil-less 120 volt motor unit that is fairly light. As you can tell I like to analyze these things so bare with me on this one as I am not familiar enough with these brands.

What would you buy?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Porter-Cable C2002-WK Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor with 13-Piece Accessory Kit.
6-gallon pancake
0.8hp motor
35lbs
2.6SCFM at 90psi
Comes with hose and tools
$159

Puma Oil-Free Twin Tank Air Compressor ó 2-Gallon, 1 HP, 2.2 CFM, Model# LA5721
2 1-gallon torpedo tanks
1hp motor
42lbs
2.2SCFM at 90psi
No hose and tools but constructed with die cast aluminum and cast iron. Maybe more durable?
$180

someone mentioned Bostich...
Bostitch CAP1512-OF 1.2 Gallon Oil-Free High-Output Trim Compressor
1.2-gallon torpedo tank
2hp motor
26lbs
2.8SCFM at 90psi
No hose and tools
$134

Senco PC0968 Compressor, 1.5-Horsepower (PEAK) 2.5-Gallon
2.5-gallon torpedo tanks
1hp motor
38lbs
2.2SCFM at 90psi
No hose and tools
$182 but I can get it for $167 elsewhere

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:05 AM   #29

Porter Cable - excellent for small jobs including inflating tires, this is what I have
Old 03-08-2012, 02:20 AM   #30

I have the same Porter Cable. Great unit it will hold up to the use you want it for. Also the tank is large enough that you will be able to blow the water line of the trailer when you want to winterize.

caper is offline   Reply With Quote