Old 03-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #51
B47

herk - very nice - if I didn't have a 5th wheel hitch assembly in my truck bed I might have done the same thing.

Question - I assume that the generator has its own fuel tank - if so, do you carry its extra fuel in cans or just top it off when you fuel your TV?

Just wondering.

Another just wondering - have you ever had any fellow campers ask you if you could air up their flats/low pressure tires after seeing your generator?

Old 03-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #52
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
herk - very nice - if I didn't have a 5th wheel hitch assembly in my truck bed I might have done the same thing.
LOL - Note the holes in the bed. Hitch pulled for the photos.
This is what it normally looks like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bikes 021.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	10880  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #53
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
LOL - Note the holes in the bed. Hitch pulled for the photos.
This is what it normally looks like:
kerk - well I guess that answers my "do you carry extra fuel with you?" question.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #54
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Another just wondering - have you ever had any fellow campers ask you if you could air up their flats/low pressure tires after seeing your generator?
Absolutely. And always eager to help another camper in any way I can.

Truck is a diesel so I need to carry gas for the Yamaha. However it also runs on propane so the 20 pound bottle I carry for the Lil Red Campfire serves double duty.

The remote start is helpful as well as I can start it without unhitching the camper if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0467.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	10881   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 Nov 2009 006.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	10882   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 Nov 2009 008.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	10883   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 Nov 2009 009.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	10884   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0468.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	10885  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #55
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Absolutely. And always eager to help another camper in any way I can.

Truck is a diesel so I need to carry gas for the Yamaha. However it also runs on propane so the 20 pound bottle I carry for the Lil Red Campfire serves double duty.

The remote start is helpful as well as I can start it without unhitching the camper if needed.
herk - Looks like you have every area covered there - nice set up.

As far as helping fellow campers - you are right on and if I can ever help someone with my little compressor - I will be glad to do so.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #56
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
I need to add a tool to my garage for filling up tires in my tow vehicle and trailer.

I currently use a 12V DC compressor that does the job but is painfully slow and occasionally blows the 15amp fuse for the DC plug in the back of my truck. Its fine for topping off when we are on the road or camping, but I want something bigger and AC for home.

I freely admit a woeful lack of knowledge when it comes to these compressors.

I am looking at:

Porter-Cable’s C1010 heavy-duty one-gallon 135 PSI max quiet trim compressor. Cost is $99. This is a one gallon tank that yields air at 0.75 SCFM at 90 PSI with a max PSI of 135.

My SUV tires are LT-Cs so they go up to 55lbs or so and the trailer tires are the typical trailer tires.

So my questions are:

Will the smaller compressor with the one gallon tank do fine? Is there any reason for me to look at a 2, 3 or 6-gallon tank pancake compressor?

I'd rather not buy another one in two years so any better options or recommendations?

Thanks!
TriGuy - After much searching for an adequate portable air compressor for use on my RV tires while on the road, I have decided to go with the PC C1010 such as what you posted here.

I went to Lowes and they had a special on them sometime ago, but didn't have anymore in stock. Same story at HD. WalMart had a Campbell that the box said went up to 110 PSI ($52) but it looked and felt cheap so I passed on that one.

So I am going to try Amazon as they are offering them for $99 and with a return option. I never had used Amazon before, but I have heard good things about them.

Have you brought yours yet and if so, are you pleased with it?

Thanks
Old 03-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

B47,

I got mine over the weekend. I bought the C2002 for home use ...

Porter-Cable C2002-WK Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor with 13-Piece Accessory Kit.
6-gallon pancake
0.8hp motor
35lbs
2.6SCFM at 90psi
Comes with hose and tools
$159

I've used it once so far to top off tires on one car and to fill up tires on another when I took off the snow tires.

I set the pressure out of the hose at 90psi and it did a great job. Its as noisy as I expected when filling up the tank but then it only turned on very occasionally to inflate.

It works well for home use. Very sturdy. The C2002 is not what I would have gotten if I intended to travel with it- too bulky and heavy - and I don't have the room many do with a pickup and a 5er. The one you are looking at is better for that IMHO.

I buy all the time from amazon. Its a good shopping place. Not always the lowest $, though. But I get free 2-day shipping.

Hope that helps.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #58
Drinkin beer on the beach

I picked up a refubished unit from Home Depot while I was waiting for a rebuild kit for my main guy. I paid $125 shipped, for a 3ish HP, 15Gallon tank. It worked great, but might be overkill for filling tires, and take up lots of room in a trailer.

I've since fixed my shop compressor, and gave the refurb unit to my dad. He's still using it at least once a month, and just finished a sandblasting job...

I guess I'm just saying, I saved a bunch of money on that Husky, and I was totally happy with it. They even have smaller ones that might fit your requirements even better.
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #59
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
B47,

I got mine over the weekend. I bought the C2002 for home use ...

Porter-Cable C2002-WK Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor with 13-Piece Accessory Kit.
6-gallon pancake
0.8hp motor
35lbs
2.6SCFM at 90psi
Comes with hose and tools
$159

I've used it once so far to top off tires on one car and to fill up tires on another when I took off the snow tires.

I set the pressure out of the hose at 90psi and it did a great job. Its as noisy as I expected when filling up the tank but then it only turned on very occasionally to inflate.

It works well for home use. Very sturdy. The C2002 is not what I would have gotten if I intended to travel with it- too bulky and heavy - and I don't have the room many do with a pickup and a 5er. The one you are looking at is better for that IMHO.

I buy all the time from amazon. Its a good shopping place. Not always the lowest $, though. But I get free 2-day shipping.

Hope that helps.
TriGuy - thanks for the report. I will get the c1010 as i intend to only use it for the RV. Perhaps the c1010 won't be quite as noisy as the c2020 is, but when you are compressing air you got to expect some noise.

I like to touch and see whatever I am buying before I buy it, but I will just go with Amazon this time. We are going on a weekend trip and zi will order it when I get bacl.

Once again - thanks.

PS - what are "snow tires"? Are the same as what an old northern RV told me about snow shovels - that is that he was going to hang one on the back of his RV and drive south until someone asked him what that thing is - then he figured he had gone far enought!!
Old 03-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #60
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Johnson View Post
I picked up a refubished unit from Home Depot while I was waiting for a rebuild kit for my main guy. I paid $125 shipped, for a 3ish HP, 15Gallon tank. It worked great, but might be overkill for filling tires, and take up lots of room in a trailer.

I've since fixed my shop compressor, and gave the refurb unit to my dad. He's still using it at least once a month, and just finished a sandblasting job...

I guess I'm just saying, I saved a bunch of money on that Husky, and I was totally happy with it. They even have smaller ones that might fit your requirements even better.
Rod - thanks for your input.