Old 05-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Fulltime family RVer

Who has 2 thumbs and will be buying 5 new tires?

You guessed it- this guy. (points to himself)

Apparently yesterday's tire change was just a practice run. Today, as I was getting ready to take the camper to the service center, my walk around revealed a baseball size bubble on the inner side of another tire. I'd like to blame the tires for that one, but the truth is- I've struck quite a few curbs on that side making rights.

I'm going to just make the jump and buy 5 good tires. I just wish there was a clear "best". Opinions are welcome...

Current tire size: ST235/80R16 - load range E
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-454854708.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	29754  

Old 05-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Apparently yesterday's tire change was just a practice run. Today, as I was getting ready to take the camper to the service center, my walk around revealed a baseball size bubble on the inner side of another tire. I'd like to blame the tires for that one, but the truth is- I've struck quite a few curbs on that side making rights.

I'm going to just make the jump and buy 5 good tires. I just wish there was a clear "best". Opinions are welcome...

What brand tire are on your unit now?
Good luck with your new tire purchase decision...A LOT of opinions out there to what is best!

Old 05-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

They are Akuret HF188 tires which came with the rig.

I think I'm going to go with Maxxis M8008 ST tires.

I can't wrap my head around the LT tires nor have I been able to find tires in the right size (in my limited searching).
Old 05-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:

I've used Goodyear Marathons for over 30 yrs and never had a problem. Just put 4 new ones on about 3 wks ago + 4 new Wrangler LR E on the truck.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

OR- do I save the money and buy 2 matching cheapie replacement tires (still $125 a pop, so not incredibly cheap) and try to get a year or two more out of these tires?

(frustrated)
Old 05-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #6

ependydad, If that photo is of your child, don't think cheap - think safety and buy the good tires.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
OR- do I save the money and buy 2 matching cheapie replacement tires (still $125 a pop, so not incredibly cheap) and try to get a year or two more out of these tires?

(frustrated)
Just remember the old Fram commercial, "Pay me now or pay me later"
If you have a blowout on the highway, you'll do more damage than the price of 4 or 5 new GY Marathons. Ask me how I know. Been there, done that on a brand new trailer. After you repair the damage, you still have to buy new tires.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalohunter View Post
ependydad, If that photo is of your child, don't think cheap - think safety and buy the good tires.
Yeah, he's one of 2. I actually need to update my profile pic. Poor daughter is 9 and completely gets shunned because of the new baby.

That's my thinking as well - I that if I go cheap and just replace what is there, that it's "wasted" money.

These tires had about 5,000 miles on them. The nail is our fault. I assume the bubble is, as well - but it's tough to not think it was a mfr defect.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Just remember the old Fram commercial, "Pay me now or pay me later"
If you have a blowout on the highway, you'll do more damage than the price of 4 or 5 new GY Marathons. Ask me how I know. Been there, done that on a brand new trailer. After you repair the damage, you still have to buy new tires.
Yeah, I hear you. Argh. I was really hoping to spend this kind of money on a new air pin and not tires.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #10

I just bought 5 GY Marathons in your size for about $600 mounted and balanced at Discount Tire. They are made by Carlisle.
The GY G614's were $340 each!

Good luck

BTW how do you strike a curb on the inside of the tire?

Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote