Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 05:54 PM   #81
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Because THAT is what most people with RV trailers use to pressure their trailer tires to!

None of us weigh each tire every time we roll so that we can faniggle our trailer tire pressure to be exact for the daily drive.

Heck, if we did that we wouldn't be able to even eat a sandwich out of our loaded food without re-weighing and resetting air in our tires.

Or we wouldn't be able to run the fridge on propane as, with your theory, we'd have to reweigh and reset our pressure every 25 miles!

OK, then again I don't understand why it is so difficult to read the vehicle certification label aka Tire placard sticker where for almost every trailer I have looked at you will find the inflation pressure that is associated with the max pressure for that Load range tire.

LR-C = 50
LR-D = 65
LR=E =80

The sticker is on the outside driver side toward the front of the RV. the print is a standard size and if you can't read the sticker you should not be driving due to poor eyesight.

IF you get into a situation of changing tire size or Load Range then you need to educate yourself a bit and need to understand what you are doing. IF you make that change there is nothing preventing you from using a label maker and sticking the tire size and proper minimum cold inflation number info next to the original sticker. I wouldn't cover the sticker.

Yes to lower the interply shear you need to run the pressure associated with the max load. You also need to confirm with actual scale measurements that you have AT least 15% load capacity margin on the heaviest end of each axle.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 11-04-2018, 09:54 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Well sort of. In reality.

Also on the tire is the MINIMUM permissible cold inflation pressure needed for the tire to provide its maximum load.
Well I got to thinking about that again and went back to do some more researching because I was pretty sure the NHTSA mandate may read a little differently. Sure enough, the 2019 Keystone RV trailer generic owner's manual says it like this.....; "Because tires are designed to be used on more than one type of vehicle, tire manufacturers list the “maximum permissible inflation pressure” on the tire sidewall. This number is the greatest amount of air pressure that should ever be put in the tire under normal driving conditions."

I'd seen that new descriptive word (permissible) somewhere else, it's in the new USTMA pdf.

That sort of statement in the vehicle owner's manual really put's a kink in Goodyear, Maxxis, Towmax and any others that recommend excessive inflation of their tires to gain highway speed.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:14 PM   #83
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
OK, then again I don't understand why it is so difficult to read the vehicle certification label aka Tire placard sticker where for almost every trailer I have looked at you will find the inflation pressure that is associated with the max pressure for that Load range tire.

LR-C = 50
LR-D = 65
LR=E =80

The sticker is on the outside driver side toward the front of the RV. the print is a standard size and if you can't read the sticker you should not be driving due to poor eyesight.

IF you get into a situation of changing tire size or Load Range then you need to educate yourself a bit and need to understand what you are doing. IF you make that change there is nothing preventing you from using a label maker and sticking the tire size and proper minimum cold inflation number info next to the original sticker. I wouldn't cover the sticker.

Yes to lower the interply shear you need to run the pressure associated with the max load. You also need to confirm with actual scale measurements that you have AT least 15% load capacity margin on the heaviest end of each axle.
You really just like to blow a lot of smoke!

(Yes...I edited this)

Nine pages now...

Geeze-O-Petes!
Old 11-05-2018, 01:34 AM   #84
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
You really just like to blow a lot of smoke!

(Yes...I edited this)

Nine pages now...

Geeze-O-Petes!

Uhhh, NO! Being the thread starter, you should be appreciative of members taking their time to converse or trying to help. This thread is being closed based on the comment above.

• We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate any rudeness.

Thank You everyone for your input in this thread. It's been very informative.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Closed Thread

Tags
tire