Old 12-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
Why?

What's the problem?
I know we are all trying to help each other here, but you are trying a little to hard with all the engineering "facts". If high end trailers are coming with LTs, that to me just means even they know that the Chinese STs they put on most trailers don't stand a chance. I think we all are in agreement that any P tire would not be sufficient, but most of us think that regardless of what it was "made" for, a LT would not be a bad choice.

davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
I know we are all trying to help each other here, but you are trying a little to hard with all the engineering "facts". If high end trailers are coming with LTs, that to me just means even they know that the Chinese STs they put on most trailers don't stand a chance. I think we all are in agreement that any P tire would not be sufficient, but most of us think that regardless of what it was "made" for, a LT would not be a bad choice.
What do you figure the odds are that the LT's would be made someplace other than China?

Old 12-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
What do you figure the odds are that the LT's would be made someplace other than China?
pretty common knowledge, I thought, that it is the Chinese made ST tires that have a substantially higher failure rate.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #54

Quote:
pretty common knowledge, I thought, that it is the Chinese made ST tires that have a substantially higher failure rate.
Based on posts on this site?
If so that would be a very, very small percentage of total tires on the road.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #55

Quote:
Fair enough.

I apologize if I offended any one with thoughtful analysis.

Happy Holidays
Old 12-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
Fair enough.

I apologize if I offended any one with thoughtful analysis.

Happy Holidays
no need to apologize. Was just trying to say that no matter how much engineering stats and other info we read, its the real world use of the tires that determine its integrity. That's why we participate in these forums. To find out what works and what doesn't work. In lots of cases, the consumer knows more about a product than the people who make it or sell it.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #57
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbreaux View Post
That LTD probably weighed more than the Coachman! Especially if it was a 4 door. LTD's were the mac daddy of hoopties, although the 72 4 door Impala my parents had was quite the beast also.
Don't think so, the Coachman had a structural steel I beam and was pretty heavy. It strained the LTD to pull it, so he bought my 78 Silverado Heavy 1/2 with a 350 cid that I had retarded the camshaft 4 and had the distributer re-curved per Smokey Yunick's advice to increase torque.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #58

Of all the owners participating in this forum there must be a number who have switched to LT tires. It would be interesting to hear from some of them as to why they switched and if they have had any problems/failures with the LT tires. And as someone else asked earlier, has anyone ever switched back from LT to ST and why.

Tags
tire, tires