Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #1

Why PERMATEX Red on Bearing Seals?

In the Dexter axle book, on P55, they mention using PERMATEX red on the seals on the EZ lube axles. I have never run across this requirement for packing wheel bearings. Does anyone know why? Is it to prevent leakage between the seal and the spindle if one is using the EZ lube injection?

I have a 2015 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS.
mlawler506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
clr

The permatex is applied to the outer surface of the grease seal that contacts the hub of the trailer. This is done so that there is additional resistance to the seal being blown out when you apply the grease to the wheel. PS ensure that you jack up the trailer and slowly rotate the tire while you hand pump the grease. This is per the instructions if you do not you blow out the seal. Not rotating the tire while pumping grease is a good way to have a blow out, ask me how I know.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #3

Thank you Chuck. Does the PERNATEX go on the I.D. of the seal or does it go along the entire back of the seal that butts up to the backing plate on the spindle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
The permatex is applied to the outer surface of the grease seal that contacts the hub of the trailer. This is done so that there is additional resistance to the seal being blown out when you apply the grease to the wheel. PS ensure that you jack up the trailer and slowly rotate the tire while you hand pump the grease. This is per the instructions if you do not you blow out the seal. Not rotating the tire while pumping grease is a good way to have a blow out, ask me how I know.
mlawler506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:34 PM   #4

I apply it to the metal OD of the seal
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:19 PM   #5

Applied to the OD metal surface of the seal that contacts the ID of the hub/drum. The seal does not contact the backing plate if installed flush with the drum surface.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote