Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2016, 08:23 PM   #21
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Okay thanks I figured you would know, a lot of mis info on the internet. Also you asked what my TST system was at when I had my blow out. I didn't have TST then I never even knew about them 4 years ago. I just checked every morning that I was at 50 lbs PSI as rated. I bought them after from the advice of OC and reading your blog. Saved my bacon last trip, had a leak, without that warning I'm sure I would have shredded that tire to. I'm still a little confused about the correct PSI. I have switched to the "D" rated at 65 PSI from the "C" rated 50 PSI. To me if I run those tires at 50 PSI which is enough for my load, it is really 15 lbs from the CRP of the sidewall, isn't that being under inflated for the tire not the load. This has been debated many times on this forum. So I inflate to the sidewall 65 Lbs. Don't mean to drive you crazy...
I suggest the following for inflation on TT (Motorhomes are different)

1. Know the actual load on each tire from scale reading. If you can't get individual tire loads then assume the total for 2 axles is split 47/53% between the 2 axles and that the heavier end of the unidentified heavy axle is supporting 53% of that axle's load.
2. Trailers should have at least a 15% load cushion according to the tables. If the pressure needed for that cushion bumps you to the next Load Range then go up in Load Range.
3. Due to the special nature of the suspension design of TT that generated high Interply Shear you can lower this shear force by running the inflation molded on the tire sidewall as your Cold Inflation Pressure. Google "Interply Shear tires" to learn more on that topic.

So in your case Doc. You have already bumped the laod capacity so should be OK. I would suggest you run 65 psi cold. This will lower the chance of having a Tread Separation due to Interply Shear. All tires on an axle or for tandem axles should run the same pressure.

RE TPMS
I would set the Low pressure warning to the inflation needed to support the measured or calculated heaviest loaded tire.
The "TPMS base pressure" should be 10% above that level.
I would not worry about changing the High Temp warning from the factory 158F.
The high pressure would be ok if set to 25% above the tire sidewall pressure or 25% above the CIP

Hope this clear.
__________________

__________________
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety. RVTireSafety.com
Also give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:36 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Had this happen yesterday. Wondering if it is actual tire failure due to low pressure.
Stats. Right inner, Sunseeker
Speed 55. Checked before leaving CG
Attachment 111638Attachment 111639Attachment 111640

Any thoughts?
How old is that tire? What is the manufacture date stamped on the sidewall?
How many miles on it?
__________________

__________________
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:45 PM   #23
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Had this happen yesterday. Wondering if it is actual tire failure due to low pressure.
Stats. Right inner, Sunseeker
Speed 55. Checked before leaving CG
Attachment 111638Attachment 111639Attachment 111640

Any thoughts?

Would really need to see the tire close-up as it is presenting two different conditions. 1. being the separation of tread and belts off the body. This is usually from long term high load slightly low inflation.
2 is the area with the broken body cord which looks like Run Low Flex Failure.

Does the tire sidewall say the body id Polyester or does it say Rayon or Aramid?
If you feel the ends of the broken body cords do you find any individual cords to be hard or are they all soft and fuzzy?
__________________
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety. RVTireSafety.com
Also give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:02 PM   #24
3071DS
 
Garrette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 825
I have already had the tire replaced. The tire was 3 years old. I checked the date codes during the PDI. A while back there was a recall on the Michelin tires. I checked the code for the recall but my tires were not part of the recall. Tires have 13567miles. Had correct tire pressure before leaving campground. 80 on back, 75 on front. Passed thru one town about 25 miles out and back to 55mph, felt a very slight vibration. I assumed it was the road. Slowed to 50mph mostly due to heavy beach traffic. 40 mile later BOOM.
I will go by tire shop and see if they still have it. I asked for the mating tire to be dismounted and inspected. Was told that that tire looked fine. No evidence of stress from an inside and outside inspection.
TPMS and extenders are on order. Nothing like closing the gate after the cows are out.



Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:43 PM   #25
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
I have already had the tire replaced. The tire was 3 years old. I checked the date codes during the PDI. A while back there was a recall on the Michelin tires. I checked the code for the recall but my tires were not part of the recall. Tires have 13567miles. Had correct tire pressure before leaving campground. 80 on back, 75 on front. Passed thru one town about 25 miles out and back to 55mph, felt a very slight vibration. I assumed it was the road. Slowed to 50mph mostly due to heavy beach traffic. 40 mile later BOOM.
I will go by tire shop and see if they still have it. I asked for the mating tire to be dismounted and inspected. Was told that that tire looked fine. No evidence of stress from an inside and outside inspection.
TPMS and extenders are on order. Nothing like closing the gate after the cows are out.
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Sorry to hear about your Run Low Flex failure. By any chance did you capture a picture?

Having mate inspected was good thing to do
__________________
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety. RVTireSafety.com
Also give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:44 PM   #26
Junior Member
 
dashsul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3
I went on a trip to the Northern border 1,900 one way. On the way back I noticed steel threads coming out of the top side of the front 2 tires. Went another 1,600 more miles later the tire lost air slowly flattening at the last camp site. I first thought cheap tires, then I thought air pressure to high set at 50psi cold, then I though the distribution hitch needed to come up a notch because the back two were fine. Anybody have a the probable reason?
__________________
David and Shannon Sullivan
Melbourne Fl
2014 River Rockwood 2104s
2014 Ford F-150
dashsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #27
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashsul View Post
I went on a trip to the Northern border 1,900 one way. On the way back I noticed steel threads coming out of the top side of the front 2 tires. Went another 1,600 more miles later the tire lost air slowly flattening at the last camp site. I first thought cheap tires, then I thought air pressure to high set at 50psi cold, then I though the distribution hitch needed to come up a notch because the back two were fine. Anybody have a the probable reason?
I have seen this condition before.
Steel filaments coming out of tire are sign of factory defect. You need to

1. Closely inspect each tire
2. Record the DOT serials so you can file a complaint on each tire
3 capture close up photo of filaments from each tire
4. take tires to dealer for immediate replacement
5. file a complaint for each defective tire as you cannot depend on the tire dealer following the defect reporting requirements
6. Post pictures to help educate others.
7. In the complaint with NHTSA you can tell them just what you posted above in first 3 sentences and let them know you have pictures. If the dealer does not replace for free provide the name & address od the dealer.
8 Post the tire size, Load Range, name and full DOT serial here so others can inspect their tires

I will look up name and location of the tire plant and post here.

Note the specific defect is improper "belt skim rubber" and/or treatment of the steel cord resulting in a loss of adhesion. Just as you have seen filaments on the outside the slow leak confirms there are filaments piercing the inside of the tire too,

If all tires have identical DOT they would most likely all have the same defect. This is definitely a condition that warrants a recall and replacement of all affected tires.


PM me if you have any questions or need any help.
__________________
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety. RVTireSafety.com
Also give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:31 AM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 78
Blew a Trail Express Power Towing 225/75R/15 Load Range D this past weekend on my 2014 Coachman 320BHDS. Poor pic but it is in the spare location. It made a loud blast and I pulled over instantly. I just filled the tires to their recommended tire pressure of 65 psi before I left. Tires have max of 2500 miles on them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper5.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	112351  
__________________
Coachman Freedom Express 320BHDS
Super 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:07 PM   #29
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 982
Super8
That is a tread separation. Should be easier to get adjusted as belt separation can be more easily traced to design or mfg issue with the belt rubber.

They were "ST" type Yes?
Can you post the DOT S/N so we can identify the plant that made the tires?

You should file a complaint with NHTSA even if they give you another tire as we cannot depend on the dealer to file the complaint.
__________________
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety. RVTireSafety.com
Also give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:38 PM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Super8
That is a tread separation. Should be easier to get adjusted as belt separation can be more easily traced to design or mfg issue with the belt rubber.

They were "ST" type Yes?
Can you post the DOT S/N so we can identify the plant that made the tires?

You should file a complaint with NHTSA even if they give you another tire as we cannot depend on the dealer to file the complaint.
ST, Yes
1KMM16A
Date of MFG 1113
Dealer said he never had my trailer model fail a tire.
Filed a complaint by filling out the camper info this morning but have not heard anything back yet.
That site does not list Trail express power towing tires as an option in their tire listing.
__________________

__________________
Coachman Freedom Express 320BHDS
Super 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tire, tires

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 AM.