Old 06-28-2016, 11:55 AM   #31
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super 8 View Post
ST, Yes
1KMM16A
Date of MFG 1113
Dealer said he never had my trailer model fail a tire.
Filed a complaint by filling out the camper info this morning but have not heard anything back yet.
That site does not list Trail express power towing tires as an option in their tire listing.
The fact that the dealer claims as not remembering a tire failure is not surprising as most RV owners don't bother to complain to dealer or NHTSA.
RE NHTSA Yes they do not have every tire name in the drop down list. Many tire names are new inventions with dozens sprouting up each year. BUT that is why having the full DOT serial is so important. It will take a few days or a week for NHTSA to respond to your complaint. All you will get initially is a complaint ref number. Remember they are getting thousands of complaints every day on all kinds of things such as TPMS, Car seats, emission failures air bag problems etc.

Did the dealer refuse to take any action on your tire failure? Just not knowing of previous tire failure is no excuse. You might check the phone book for local General tire dealer and tell them you have a tire made by General at the KY plant that failed and see what they say.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Did the dealer refuse to take any action on your tire failure? Just not knowing of previous tire failure is no excuse. You might check the phone book for local General tire dealer and tell them you have a tire made by General at the KY plant that failed and see what they say.
No action taken.
Only offered to order parts I needed to fix the damage I have to repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	112554  

Old 06-30-2016, 09:03 AM   #33
Commercial Member

Anyone filing a complaint with NHTSA needs to include the cost of damage to the RV in their report. I would also include the name of the tire dealer or RV dealer and identify if they were helpful in resolving the tire failure issue or if they refused to take any responsibility for the tire failure and provide a replacement and any compensation for costs associated with the failure.

After filing the complaint with NHTSA you should receive an email with the Complaint #. I would forward that email to the tire dealer, RV dealer and RV company CEO if the tire was the OE tire advising them that they have been named in your report to NHTSA as being helpful or not.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:52 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super 8 View Post

That site does not list Trail express power towing tires as an option in their tire listing.
Look under the name "Voma Tire Corp.." There are a total of 7 complaints on the NHTSA complaint files for Trail Express tires.

"ITG Voma is a joint venture of China’s Xiamen ITG Group Corp. and VOMA Tire Corp., a full supply chain service provider focusing on providing comprehensive services for tire distributors." (Rubber & Plastics news).
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:47 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
The fact that the dealer claims as not remembering a tire failure is not surprising as most RV owners don't bother to complain to dealer or NHTSA.
RE NHTSA Yes they do not have every tire name in the drop down list. Many tire names are new inventions with dozens sprouting up each year. BUT that is why having the full DOT serial is so important. It will take a few days or a week for NHTSA to respond to your complaint. All you will get initially is a complaint ref number. Remember they are getting thousands of complaints every day on all kinds of things such as TPMS, Car seats, emission failures air bag problems etc.
I know there has been a Holiday in the mix etc. but it has been 10 calendar days and still no response.
I went ahead and purchased 5 new load range E tires and also had them balanced.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:01 PM   #36

So what is causing this type of damage? At first I thought maybe I hit something but to get 2 with the same identical damage I think not. There aren't any obstructions above the tire and more than enough room to the floor above. No flat spot across the width so I'm pretty sure I didn't lock the brakes.

The first time was last August and about 12000 miles.

The second one was last week and about 17000 miles.

Neither lost any pressure and were caught during tire checks every 2 hours.

Could this be the start of throwing the tread? They are Trail Express manufacture 5212 so they would've been changed out this year anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1st tire.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	114414   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire 2.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	114415  
Days camped 2014 47,

Years camping....50
dbarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:09 PM   #37
CANADA FROG RALLY 2017

I am surprised you got that many miles out of them. Most people replace OEM ties with higher load range and better quality.
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:20 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I am surprised you got that many miles out of them. Most people replace OEM ties with higher load range and better quality.
I never do. This being the heaviest at only 4800lbs on the axles I think I'll be fine.

Only problems with past trailers was on a 06 surveyor that I bought used in 11 with the original tires. And they didn't start giving me problems until '12 and '13.
Days camped 2014 47,

Years camping....50
dbarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:03 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarr View Post
So what is causing this type of damage? At first I thought maybe I hit something but to get 2 with the same identical damage I think not. There aren't any obstructions above the tire and more than enough room to the floor above. No flat spot across the width so I'm pretty sure I didn't lock the brakes.

Could this be the start of throwing the tread? They are Trail Express manufacture 5212 so they would've been changed out this year anyway.
Looks like it's (sometimes) hitting something in the wheelwell.
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:37 AM   #40
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarr View Post

Looks like localized separation of tread off belts. Would need to probe to be sure. I would consider this a factory workmanship issue. Not sure what warranty is but you are at 3-1/2 years. get thee to tire dealer ASAP.

What is the DOT serial of the tires?

Tags
tire, tires