Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2016, 09:43 PM   #81
Crookedread

Witch Doctor, I did shoot my tv tires and they were cooler on the rear, about 100 degrees. Interesting that the fronts were about 110. I know that the diesel weight made the front heavier than the rear so thought that was ok. Shot the bearings and brakes but low numbers so I don't even remember what they were. New gun so I shot my wife's neck and she said "back in the truck Bucko!" So no other temps!!

Feeling better until I just read Tireman9's discussion about accumulative damage to tires. A little over weight, some speeding, couple of curbs, side loading from wind.

I'm taking a trip to the Dakota's next week but I think it is going to be on new tires to try and avoid any damage.

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
crookedread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:48 PM   #82
Crookedread

Thanks Greenimp! Interesting temperatures. I'm going to look into a tire pressure system. I've been putting it off but think it's a good investment!! Got any ideas on a good brand??

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
Old 09-11-2016, 08:21 PM   #83

I have had the TST system for about 4 years now, saved us twice, (First time paid for itself.) It shows no more than 110 on hot days on the road. Un sunny side is 5 to 10 degrees lower .
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:37 PM   #84
Crookedread

Thanks Dwilcox!!

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
Old 09-11-2016, 11:48 PM   #85
Commercial Member

I bought system with Lifetime warranty and rapid leak early warning. Also can check pressure in AM without having to use hand gauge (takes abt 15 min to get a fresh morning reading.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:06 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I bought system with Lifetime warranty and rapid leak early warning. Also can check pressure in AM without having to use hand gauge (takes abt 15 min to get a fresh morning reading.

I think I have decided on the TST 507. Should I get regular or flow through or hold out for internal sensors?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #87

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I chose the standard sensors as it was important to me that they be as shallow as possible as to not stick out of the rim (less weight is better too). It does not bother me to have to remove the sensors the once or twice a year I need to add air. I would almost certainly have gone for internal if they had been available at the time I purchased.

Looking at TST's website, it appears that the internal are currently in stock and shipping....hmmm.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:19 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
I chose the standard sensors as it was important to me that they be as shallow as possible as to not stick out of the rim (less weight is better too). It does not bother me to have to remove the sensors the once or twice a year I need to add air. I would almost certainly have gone for internal if they had been available at the time I purchased.

Looking at TST's website, it appears that the internal are currently in stock and shipping....hmmm.
I figure the internal would do a better job of temperature management... I guess the pressure is the most important input. I dunno.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #89

The TST 507 is a great choice, but there are other great options as well. My only complaint with the TST system is the external antenna design of the receiver. Not only does it look bad when compared to the clean look of an internal antenna, but my then 3 or 4 year old son broke it off within seconds of me taking it out of the package (obviously not TST's fault). Luckily I repair electronics daily and it was no issue for me to repair the circuit board where the antenna connector mounts.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
Old 09-12-2016, 07:13 PM   #90
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I figure the internal would do a better job of temperature management... I guess the pressure is the most important input. I dunno.
Pressure is MUCH more important than temperature. You will not get near dangerous level of temperature without previously getting to significantly dangerous low levels of pressure.

Knowing that pressure changes about 2% for a 10F change shows the numerical relationship.

I wish TPMS didn't report temperature as some are claiming they use temperature to set tire load.

I have run both types and found the external lower overall cost when factoring in the need to pay for dismount & mount & balance when you need new batteries with internal
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 09-13-2016, 03:58 AM   #91

Tireman9, how could you set loads by temp. I never heard of that, scratching my head on that one.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:56 AM   #92

Quote:
Pressure is MUCH more important than temperature. You will not get near dangerous level of temperature without previously getting to significantly dangerous low levels of pressure.

Knowing that pressure changes about 2% for a 10F change shows the numerical relationship.

I wish TPMS didn't report temperature as some are claiming they use temperature to set tire load.

I have run both types and found the external lower overall cost when factoring in the need to pay for dismount & mount & balance when you need new batteries with internal

Good deal. Thank you for the response.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-13-2016, 09:09 AM   #93

Quote:
You will not get near dangerous level of temperature without previously getting to significantly dangerous low levels of pressure.
My assumption is that the TPMS temperatures are there to warn you of elevated temperatures due to failed axle bearings or brakes. Or for those that do, heat created by overloading or excessive speed.

Quote:
I have never heard of that either, but I don't doubt there are people out there who have tried it. I have heard of people adjusting their pressures due to ambient temperature changes though (e.g. summer vs winter)...maybe there's some confusion there.

Quote:
Yes, I think for cost and (battery access) convenience, external wins. For appearance, anti-theft, and potentially higher accuracy with temps, internal wins.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:40 AM   #94
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Tireman9, how could you set loads by temp. I never heard of that, scratching my head on that one.....

Read a post where one guy was trying to "balance" pressure to get identical temperature readings.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:11 PM   #95

My question isn't about temp. or press. but more about when is the time to replace the tires. I have a 2013 Solera Motorhome 24S. I have had it for 4 years now and have 25000 miles on the it. I've had the tire rotated once in that time and new valve stems put on. I keep the tires covered when not in use and check the pressure on them regularly. The side walls look good and there plenty of thread still on them.

I have heard that they should be replaced after so many years, anyone give me an idea of the standard on replacement?
Old 10-13-2016, 12:19 PM   #96

IMO on LT tires I wouldn't be concerned of age until 8-10 years, but I feel that has a lot to with how the tires are loaded. Max load equals more flex/pressure, heat etc.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:27 PM   #97
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Lt's are different than St's.......St's 4 years if a lot of miles and heat/cool cycles
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:31 PM   #98
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
My question isn't about temp. or press. but more about when is the time to replace the tires. I have a 2013 Solera Motorhome 24S. I have had it for 4 years now and have 25000 miles on the it. I've had the tire rotated once in that time and new valve stems put on. I keep the tires covered when not in use and check the pressure on them regularly. The side walls look good and there plenty of thread still on them.

I have heard that they should be replaced after so many years, anyone give me an idea of the standard on replacement?
Motorhomes are different than trailers. Due to unique tire loading (side forces) the life of tires on towables is shorter and many feel 3 to 4 years is a reasonable life and much longer is pushing the limit of having a potential failure.
For motorhomes 6 to 8 seems reasonable with 10 being an absolute max.

There are however no guarantees.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:02 PM   #99

I have read your many post's with interest. One question I have is how do you know/check what PSI your wheels are rated for ?
offduty11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:44 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by offduty11 View Post
I have read your many post's with interest. One question I have is how do you know/check what PSI your wheels are rated for ?
Wheels are rated by weight not psi , lots of wheels have that weight stamped on the inside of the rim .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires