Old 08-18-2016, 12:47 PM   #61

Here is my tire failure on a 8 month old,1871 miles on tire.The tire center that Forest River had us go to,saw the tire and said that the tread cap seperated from the sidewall.This was not due to inflation,or running over anything.So we have 4 Castle Rocks on our trailer now,and will be beefing up the wheel well area before we depart on our next 2000 mile part of our trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3655.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	492.2 KB
ID:	117704   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3652.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	474.3 KB
ID:	117705  
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2016, 11:00 AM   #62
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo67 View Post
Here is my tire failure on a 8 month old,1871 miles on tire.The tire center that Forest River had us go to,saw the tire and said that the tread cap seperated from the sidewall.This was not due to inflation,or running over anything.So we have 4 Castle Rocks on our trailer now,and will be beefing up the wheel well area before we depart on our next 2000 mile part of our trip.
Yes that is a tread separation. On a new tire with that few miles I would consider that a tire factory related condition. IMO the tire should have been "adjusted" i.e. replaced and the damage paid for by tire dealer or RV dealer as the tire selection is the responsibility of the RV company.
Did you capture the tire DOT serial? That number along with your RV VIN is what is needed to file a complaint with NHTSA so they can add to their database. With sufficient numbers on file they can start an investigation which based on their findings is what can start a tire recall. If you post the DOT serial here we can ID the tire plant that actually made the tire.
Every RV owner needs to have the full DOT serial of each tire recorded and written down, Sometimes a tire failure can destroy the serial. Without a full serial NHTSA can not use the data to start an investigation.

Do you run the tire sidewall inflation as cold inflation at start of every travel day?
Have you confirmed you are not exceeding the GAWR rating for your RV with actual scale measurement with the RV fully loaded (food, water etc) as when ready to travel?
Here is process of how to inspect your tires. I suggest once a year or once every 1,000 miles.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:17 AM   #63

Scary looking tire separation. Glad it did not create a worse problem for you.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:33 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Yes that is a tread separation. On a new tire with that few miles I would consider that a tire factory related condition. IMO the tire should have been "adjusted" i.e. replaced and the damage paid for by tire dealer or RV dealer as the tire selection is the responsibility of the RV company.
Let's clear this up a little. Are you saying a tire being operated in a "run flat" condition for 1800 miles could not be damaged to the point where it would suffer such a tread separation?
Airdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:40 PM   #65
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Let's clear this up a little. Are you saying a tire being operated in a "run flat" condition for 1800 miles could not be damaged to the point where it would suffer such a tread separation?
Never said anything about being "run flat".

Sidewall flex failures as seen in this picture

are the normal condition you end with after running significant under-inflation ( -80% to -100%) of the air pressure needed to carry the load, while driving at highway speeds .

Tread separations which is what we see in the subject tire have a variety of causes. Some can be traced to design and compound specification, some traced to factory process and some to long term underinflation (-5 to -205% or greater ) and/or significant overload.

As you know the load capacity is controlled by the inflation so sometimes you can have 100% of the sidewall inflation but 130% load. Other times you might have only 70% of the tire max load number but are running -50% of inflation.

Technically "run flat" means 20% or greater inflation loss from normal for that vehicle.

It is possible that the tire might have been run -15% for 1800 miles at relatively high speeds and stored in full sunlight so the excess heat broke down some of the rubber bonds but i would need microscope and chemical analysis to confirm that.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:20 AM   #66

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472372397.831852.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	118579
Glad I had that much left on rim.

Harry-O
Old 08-28-2016, 12:16 PM   #67
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Style View Post
Attachment 118579
Glad I had that much left on rim.

Harry-O

IMO that is another Tread or Belt separation. The condition of the tire may make reading the DOT serial impossible. So that would make it impossible to file a meaningful complaint with NHTSA. This is perfect example of why everyone should have a written record of the full tire S.N for each tire on their vehicles.

By Fed regulation the RV company is suppose to have the tire S/N on file for 5 years so in theory you might be able to get the tire S/N from FR. But I would not hold your breath.

Tread & Belt separations can many times be discovered BEFORE the tire comes apart by doing tire inspection as I outlined in my blog post on the topic.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:16 PM   #68
3071DS

Do not mean to hijack but seems a good place to ask. I cant find it. I have a 2014 3170DSF Sunseeker. A weight distribution chart. I have a yellow sticker in the drivers side door frame. Not much data. Is there a different chart? I have searched the cabinets. If anyone has one, please post. If i am crazy, feel free to post that to.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:27 PM   #69
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Do not mean to hijack but seems a good place to ask. I cant find it. I have a 2014 3170DSF Sunseeker. A weight distribution chart. I have a yellow sticker in the drivers side door frame. Not much data. Is there a different chart? I have searched the cabinets. If anyone has one, please post. If i am crazy, feel free to post that to.

I assume your Class-c is built on a Ford E350. Is it a 2013 chassis? The placard is probably the same for all 2013 Ford E350. and maybe 2014 & 2015 too. I would check other similar vehicles at your RV dealer.

By law your RV is to have a placard on driver side door jam. If it is missing your RV dealer should provide a replacement.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:21 PM   #70

Quick question, from the dealer / Manufacturer the tires are filled with nitrogen, what are you supposed to do when the tire is 5 lb. low, use air from a local gas station. Did a search and so far haven't found an answer.
Thanks in advance.

Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 gas
Sailor Bill is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires