Old 09-10-2016, 10:43 PM   #81
Crookedread

Witch Doctor, I did shoot my tv tires and they were cooler on the rear, about 100 degrees. Interesting that the fronts were about 110. I know that the diesel weight made the front heavier than the rear so thought that was ok. Shot the bearings and brakes but low numbers so I don't even remember what they were. New gun so I shot my wife's neck and she said "back in the truck Bucko!" So no other temps!!

Feeling better until I just read Tireman9's discussion about accumulative damage to tires. A little over weight, some speeding, couple of curbs, side loading from wind.

I'm taking a trip to the Dakota's next week but I think it is going to be on new tires to try and avoid any damage.

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312

Old 09-10-2016, 10:48 PM   #82
Crookedread

Thanks Greenimp! Interesting temperatures. I'm going to look into a tire pressure system. I've been putting it off but think it's a good investment!! Got any ideas on a good brand??

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312

Old 09-11-2016, 09:21 PM   #83

I have had the TST system for about 4 years now, saved us twice, (First time paid for itself.) It shows no more than 110 on hot days on the road. Un sunny side is 5 to 10 degrees lower .
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:37 AM   #84
Crookedread

Thanks Dwilcox!!

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
Old 09-12-2016, 12:48 AM   #85
Commercial Member

I bought system with Lifetime warranty and rapid leak early warning. Also can check pressure in AM without having to use hand gauge (takes abt 15 min to get a fresh morning reading.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:06 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I bought system with Lifetime warranty and rapid leak early warning. Also can check pressure in AM without having to use hand gauge (takes abt 15 min to get a fresh morning reading.

I think I have decided on the TST 507. Should I get regular or flow through or hold out for internal sensors?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #87

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I chose the standard sensors as it was important to me that they be as shallow as possible as to not stick out of the rim (less weight is better too). It does not bother me to have to remove the sensors the once or twice a year I need to add air. I would almost certainly have gone for internal if they had been available at the time I purchased.

Looking at TST's website, it appears that the internal are currently in stock and shipping....hmmm.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:19 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
I chose the standard sensors as it was important to me that they be as shallow as possible as to not stick out of the rim (less weight is better too). It does not bother me to have to remove the sensors the once or twice a year I need to add air. I would almost certainly have gone for internal if they had been available at the time I purchased.

Looking at TST's website, it appears that the internal are currently in stock and shipping....hmmm.
I figure the internal would do a better job of temperature management... I guess the pressure is the most important input. I dunno.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:22 AM   #89

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
The TST 507 is a great choice, but there are other great options as well. My only complaint with the TST system is the external antenna design of the receiver. Not only does it look bad when compared to the clean look of an internal antenna, but my then 3 or 4 year old son broke it off within seconds of me taking it out of the package (obviously not TST's fault). Luckily I repair electronics daily and it was no issue for me to repair the circuit board where the antenna connector mounts.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:13 PM   #90
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I figure the internal would do a better job of temperature management... I guess the pressure is the most important input. I dunno.
Pressure is MUCH more important than temperature. You will not get near dangerous level of temperature without previously getting to significantly dangerous low levels of pressure.

Knowing that pressure changes about 2% for a 10F change shows the numerical relationship.

I wish TPMS didn't report temperature as some are claiming they use temperature to set tire load.

I have run both types and found the external lower overall cost when factoring in the need to pay for dismount & mount & balance when you need new batteries with internal

Tags
tire, tires