Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2023, 03:36 AM   #161

If I remember correctly, I had to go with a larger width tire to get the load range C in a 14" tire.
Old 08-16-2023, 03:03 PM   #162

Strange Tire Failure

2018 Cherokee 39 RL permanently blocked in a park. Delivered to site mid May this year and all the tires looked great although probably original. Blocked in four evenly spaced locations on the main frame rails as well as the tongue jack and all four leveling jacks extended just enough to take weight. Brought it up just high enough to take weight off the tires but still touching surface, as I've seen recommended in case a jack or block fails. Went to dump my black tank today and noticed one tire flat. Closer inspection and my jaw dropped. Owned many vehicles and several RV's but never seen a tire let go like this where the steel belts are blown outward and severed. Thoughts? Lightening? Aliens? Kid with a knife? Trailers never going anywhere as long as I own it, but I'll likely change out the tire for safety's sake....and because it bothers me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230816_153934_copy_1512x2016.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	291503  
Willhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 08:33 AM   #163
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willhound View Post
2018 Cherokee 39 RL permanently blocked in a park. Delivered to site mid May this year and all the tires looked great although probably original. Blocked in four evenly spaced locations on the main frame rails as well as the tongue jack and all four leveling jacks extended just enough to take weight. Brought it up just high enough to take weight off the tires but still touching surface, as I've seen recommended in case a jack or block fails. Went to dump my black tank today and noticed one tire flat. Closer inspection and my jaw dropped. Owned many vehicles and several RV's but never seen a tire let go like this where the steel belts are blown outward and severed. Thoughts? Lightening? Aliens? Kid with a knife? Trailers never going anywhere as long as I own it, but I'll likely change out the tire for safety's sake....and because it bothers me.

I have seen this a number of times in older tires that do not have 'Nylon" listed as a belt material. All tires list the reinforcing materials.

How old are the tires. Simply "looking great" is not a proper inspection. SUggest you do a "Free-Spin" inspection at least once a year.
I cover this in my RV Tire Safety blog
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 08:59 AM   #164
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
That's exactly the way the Castle Rock spare exploded that had never touched the ground. Cheaply made tires.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 09:52 AM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
That's exactly the way the Castle Rock spare exploded that had never touched the ground. Cheaply made tires.

Yeah, they don't look like the best tires on the market.
Also agree on the comment from Tireman about regular inspection and when I've owned actual "travelling" travel trailers it was a regular routine. This 40 foot 12,000 pound monster is never leaving the lot in one piece, at least as long as I own it. I'm only bothering to change the tire because I like to keep my stuff in good condition, should a situation arise that I need to re-block or a block fails I want tires under it, and also, it's a condition of our park that all units must have properly inflated tires to satisfy zoning and insurance conditions that it is a seasonal resort park.
Thanks for the input, I was just curious as to what could cause a tire to blow like that without the trailer moving and most of the weight off it. My current theory is that it did have a weak spot, developed a slow leak so went partially flat and the stress of the weight on the tire caused it to blow. Only thing I can think of.
Old 08-18-2023, 07:36 PM   #166
Commercial Member

Quote:

Yeah, they don't look like the best tires on the market.
Also agree on the comment from Tireman about regular inspection and when I've owned actual "travelling" travel trailers it was a regular routine. This 40 foot 12,000 pound monster is never leaving the lot in one piece, at least as long as I own it. I'm only bothering to change the tire because I like to keep my stuff in good condition, should a situation arise that I need to re-block or a block fails I want tires under it, and also, it's a condition of our park that all units must have properly inflated tires to satisfy zoning and insurance conditions that it is a seasonal resort park.
Thanks for the input, I was just curious as to what could cause a tire to blow like that without the trailer moving and most of the weight off it. My current theory is that it did have a weak spot, developed a slow leak so went partially flat and the stress of the weight on the tire caused it to blow. Only thing I can think of.

I have been able to duplicate this in the Laboratory. Basically old age plus a lack of a Nylon Cap ply. Read the material list on the tire sidewall.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 08-18-2023, 07:42 PM   #167

I take from it that my thought is correct then?
Old 08-19-2023, 05:02 PM   #168
Commercial Member

Quote:
I take from it that my thought is correct then?

Not quite. Whille damage can result in a failure. My laboratory test was on brand new from the warehouse tires.

The construction materials make a difference. IMO selecting tires with Nylon cap ply is a good move. Lower cost tires may not have the Nylon. Read the tire sidewall.
Old 08-19-2023, 06:04 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Not quite. Whille damage can result in a failure. My laboratory test was on brand new from the warehouse tires.

The construction materials make a difference. IMO selecting tires with Nylon cap ply is a good move. Lower cost tires may not have the Nylon. Read the tire sidewall.
Here's a link to a pdf that explains in detail a tire's construction including how the nylon cap ply helps along with other components (like shoulder insert) that are often omitted in cheap tires.

https://acrobat.adobe.com/id/urn:aai...9-9d17b449f345.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 11:20 AM   #170

Thank you for posting that link. Having been raised on tires (my dad sold them for over 40 years), that was an interestingly good read.
(We're just getting started!)
JimM2109S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires