Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2018, 07:21 PM   #121

Cold tread sparation.

Haven't posted in ages due to health issues. Good to be back!
In late 2015, I experienced a tire tread separation. I was running load range E Gladiators on my crusader @ 80 psi cold. I use the TST TM-507RV TPMS. There was no pressure or temperature warning prior to the failure. The separated tread managed to inflict $1,700 damage.
The sensor finally reported an alarm when the pressure fell below 70 psi; some 50 minutes after I had mounted my spare and the damaged tire was laying in the bed of my tow vehicle.

I worked with the distributor (API) and was fully reimbursed the full purchase price for all 4 Gladiator tires, as I didn't trust the remaining 3 after this issue. I now run "E" range Maxxis. No issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tread separation01.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	180543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tread separation02.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	180544   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tread separation03.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	375.5 KB
ID:	180545  

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #122
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_KHawthorne View Post
Haven't posted in ages due to health issues. Good to be back!
In late 2015, I experienced a tire tread separation. I was running load range E Gladiators on my crusader @ 80 psi cold. I use the TST TM-507RV TPMS. There was no pressure or temperature warning prior to the failure. The separated tread managed to inflict $1,700 damage.
The sensor finally reported an alarm when the pressure fell below 70 psi; some 50 minutes after I had mounted my spare and the damaged tire was laying in the bed of my tow vehicle.

I worked with the distributor (API) and was fully reimbursed the full purchase price for all 4 Gladiator tires, as I didn't trust the remaining 3 after this issue. I now run "E" range Maxxis. No issues.

Sorry to hear about your tire problems. We need to remember that a TPMS is designed to do one thing. Provide a warning to the driver of a LOSS ov voltage. Belt separations in themselves do not always result in any pressure loss. From your description I would say your TPMS worked as designed.

Owners of vehicles with smaller tires can perform a quick inspection by following the information in the video in THIS blog post. This is about the only way individuals can learn of an impending belt separation without having an X-Ray machine available or other similar tire inspection equipment.
I suggest that tires be inspected at least annually or before any long trips of 1,000 miles or more or as soon as they get home after any trip of 2,000 miles or more.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:38 PM   #123
FoxMan

My first blowout was a side wall failure and the last one, on our way home from Fl this spring, was tread separation. I have Truck System Technologies temperature and pressure sensors on all wheels. I run the tires between 78 and 80psi. The last blowout was just after I fueled up and got back on 81 about 5 miles and it let go.
altfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:05 PM   #124
Commercial Member

Run Low Sidewall flex

The link to the failed tire pictures in my first couple of posts is broken, Here are some new pictures.

.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 12-08-2021, 06:30 PM   #125

You should be able to plug that. [emoji38]
Old 04-09-2022, 02:25 PM   #126

Linked article fail, request for link edit

Post #62 by Tireman9 has a link in it (to a marvelously described tire inspection document). I was so disappointed when the link to his article initially failed.

The embedded link requires an edit with the .com becoming a .net. The link works correctly with the edit.

My compliments to the depth of shared knowledge by Roger and others on this site.
Horses need to drink and be educated . . . Cheers!!

Cheers and greetings from a Toronto Canuck
Brandoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 11:24 AM   #127
Commercial Member

Sorry but I can't edit the link. I had to change from .com to ,net years ago. Glad you were able to correct and find the post.
Old 04-17-2022, 12:34 PM   #128

Stupid question but our toy hauler sticker lists tire pressure at 65psi which presumably is to accommodate the OEM tires. Recently purchased Goodyear Endurance and the sidewall list maximum payload at 80psi. I'm of the belief that 80psi is correct? Any opinions to the contrary? I don't want to end up with tires like the failed ones pictured.
bubbalowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 01:20 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Sorry but I can't edit the link. I had to change from .com to ,net years ago. Glad you were able to correct and find the post.
I sent a request to an administrator to do that. Perhaps it will happen.

Edit: for those whose interest is piqued, this is the link in question, corrected:

https://www.rvtiresafety.net/2014/08...-my-tires.html

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 06:25 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbalowe View Post
Stupid question but our toy hauler sticker lists tire pressure at 65psi which presumably is to accommodate the OEM tires. Recently purchased Goodyear Endurance and the sidewall list maximum payload at 80psi. I'm of the belief that 80psi is correct? Any opinions to the contrary? I don't want to end up with tires like the failed ones pictured.
At first glance it appears that your original OEM tires were 'load rated D' (LR D) with 65 psi fill pressure. Are the new tires LR E? That is typically 80 psi fill pressure.

With the same tire profile a change (improvement) of LR D to LR E will have significantly greater weight/load capacity.

Check for the LR E and fill to 80 psi. Your insurance factor has significantly increased with the move to these new tires.

(And ignore the old sticker of 65 psi as the recommended fill pressure.)

Cheers!

Cheers and greetings from a Toronto Canuck
Brandoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 07:23 PM   #131

Quote:
You can run anywhere between 65 and 80. At 65 you won't have any more extra weight reserve than you did with the previous tires. At 80 you will have extra weight reserve, but you may find it beats your trailer up (or the things inside the trailer).

My previous trailer came with LR C tires and called for 50 PSI. I upgraded to LR D (65 PSI). I ran the LR D tires at 55 PSI. Little bit more weight limit cushion, not as much bounce, but it was a light, single axle trailer. I have not upgraded current trailer's tires so I am inflated to 65 PSI which is both the label on the trailer and the max on the tire sidewall.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 12:03 PM   #132
Commercial Member

Quote:

Your OE tires were Load Range D. The Goodyear tiers are Load Range E. People need to learn to pay more attention to ALL the information about tires not just the numbers in the size as Bother the Type P or LT or ST are important as is the Load Range C or D or E or F etc.

If you change any part of that information you will also change the load capacity and if people do not pay attention they could end up losing hundreds of pounds of load capacity.
ALSO if you go up in Load Range you will not get an increase in load capacity unless you also increase inflation.

Since you have changed the Load Range you need to consult the Load & Infl chart after you get your trailer on a truck scale. I recommend a minimum of 115% of the scale weight with a 20% Reserve Load being better if you want better tire life.
Old 04-18-2022, 12:18 PM   #133
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
With the information you have provided your tires are more than adequate for your trailer size. Just keep them aired to 65 PSI and replace them - no matter what they look like - in a 3-5 year time frame depending on usage and average trailer load.

You aren't concerned with tires approaching 8 years on a unit that has questionable history and minimal or no tire maintenance program? Maybe a little less attention to the regulations and a bit more help for people trying to do better than the bare minimum the regs provide.
Old 04-18-2022, 08:05 PM   #134
Commercial Member

Typo Original "ALL the information about tires not just the numbers in the size as Bother the Type P or LT or ST are important as is the Load Range C or D or E or F etc"

Should say ALL the information about tires not just the numbers in the size as BOTH the Type P or LT or ST are important as is the Load Range C or D or E or F etc
Old 06-15-2022, 09:19 AM   #135

I upgraded the tires on all of my trailers 6 years ago form LR C to LR D, and have not had a flat since. I took the advice often offered on this forum and filled them to 65 psi. On my light utility trailer that I take hunting, the eggs in the ice chest broke from the bouncing. I lowered the prressure to 55 and life is better. I wasn't upgrading to increase weight loading, but to decrease flats. I had two flats in one day on one trip. The tires I purchased are Taskmasters from etrailer. I believe they are made in China, but they have performed well for me.
Old 06-16-2022, 01:52 PM   #136

Unhappy Castle Rock= China Bomb

Had this tire blow out for no apparent reason. Had been sitting in the camp ground for 2 days when this tire blew at 10:30 pm. The tire is 2 yrs old less than 2000 miles on it and had been previously had the pressure checked earlier in the week. Cords must have shifted causing a weak spot .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	275041  
freemand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:42 PM   #137
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemand View Post
Had this tire blow out for no apparent reason. Had been sitting in the camp ground for 2 days when this tire blew at 10:30 pm. The tire is 2 yrs old less than 2000 miles on it and had been previously had the pressure checked earlier in the week. Cords must have shifted causing a weak spot .

Thanks for the picture. To help others better understand could you provide this information?

Is this an OE tire or a replacement?

Size
load range
Scale reading on tire load
Tire DOT, including date
Does the material list include Nylon in the tread?
Cold inflation level
Have you filed a complaint with NHTSA?
Have you returned the tire to a store that sells that brand for and "adjustment" or compensation?

Thanks in advance for the information.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:44 AM   #138

Dry Rot on Tires

I own a 2016 Coachman Freelander 20CB class C RV. This is a Ford Transit 350HD chassis. It appears I have dry rot on the rear dual axle tires and will replace them.
My question is, besides frequent use, how do you prevent dry rot on tires? Do covers work? I am told to store the unit with wooden boards under the wheels and drive it every month. Will this prevent dry rot? Also, I read about an aerosol spray sealant that if applied monthly will prevent dry rot.

Would appreciate your thoughts as this appears to be a common problem on seldom used RVs.

Thanks

Jim B
Columbus Ohio
Buddelje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:20 AM   #139

Dry Rot on Tires
I own a 2016 Coachman Freelander 20CB class C RV. This is a Ford Transit 350HD chassis. It appears I have dry rot on the rear dual axle tires and will replace them.
My question is, besides frequent use, how do you prevent dry rot on tires? Do covers work? I am told to store the unit with wooden boards under the wheels and drive it every month. Will this prevent dry rot? Also, I read about an aerosol spray sealant that if applied monthly will prevent dry rot.

Would appreciate your thoughts as this appears to be a common problem on seldom used RVs.

Thanks

Jim B
Columbus Ohio
Buddelje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 10:06 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddelje View Post
Dry Rot on Tires

Thanks

Jim B
Columbus Ohio
There is tons of good information here:
https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs...care-guide.pdf

Page 13 specifically talks about storage.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires