Old 11-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #1

Wireless TPMS

You would think this would be standard on a modern (2013+) TT/5er, but they are not - not even on the diamond/platinum packages.

So, DW and I are in the market for a TPMS+heat sensor. The wireless pass through models looks promising, but I wonder if the rim-mounted ones are more accurate? Also, I see a lot of packages that want to sell you 6, 8, 10 or 12(?!) Sensors. While having a backup sensor (especially a pass through one) might be a good idea, having 6-8 of the suckers laying around (at $20+ a pop) is not my idea of economy

We have a 5er so all we need is 4 sensors - what are you folks using? Would love to hear your experience and comments!!

I am not meaning to pinch penneys here! I will go 5 or 6 sensors in the interest of benchstock/spare, and I am not interested in the cheapest unit (after all, a catastrophic blowout will darn near ruin your vacation and MIGHT ruin YOU!

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
You would think this would be standard on a modern (2013+) TT/5er, but they are not - not even on the diamond/platinum packages.

So, DW and I are in the market for a TPMS+heat sensor. The wireless pass through models looks promising, but I wonder if the rim-mounted ones are more accurate? Also, I see a lot of packages that want to sell you 6, 8, 10 or 12(?!) Sensors. While having a backup sensor (especially a pass through one) might be a good idea, having 6-8 of the suckers laying around (at $20+ a pop) is not my idea of economy

We have a 5er so all we need is 4 sensors - what are you folks using? Would love to hear your experience and comments!!

I am not meaning to pinch penneys here! I will go 5 or 6 sensors in the interest of benchstock/spare, and I am not interested in the cheapest unit (after all, a catastrophic blowout will darn near ruin your vacation and MIGHT ruin YOU!
My understanding was that the pass-through sensors had a limited battery life of approximately one year. I elected to go with the Non-passthrough sensors, which have an expected life of 5-years. Users choice, but I'd hate to have mine have a battery go low on a trip, and then have something go wrong! Of course, I'll have to remember to have batteries replaced after 4 years or so!
Each has it's own upside/downside, I guess.

Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
Camper Less Camping

I use the TST 507 system with 4 sensors, great price & customer service from this company...very happy with product performance
Old 11-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #4

Most of us like the the TST (Truck System Technologies) 507 system. If your tow vehicle doesn't have TPMS you would want to buy sensors for that too. Other than that, I don't think anybody buys "extras" just as spares. TST can replace a bad sensor very quickly.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #5

I use the Tire Minder with 4 sensors that monitor pressure and heat. Bought it right after a blowout on a rear tire that I didn't realize until about a half mile further on down the road. I don't want to experience that again, but if there is a next time, I'll know right away.

2011 Flagstaff 8526RLWS 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F250 4X4 Crewcab Superduty 6.7L Diesel
B&W 3300 Hitch for Ford 5th Wheel Prep package
Windywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #6

Thanks to all for your advice! Looks like we will be going with the TST 507, since our King Ranch has a TPMS built in - all I need is 4 sensors for the 5er wheels

Now the question begs - pass through or ?? - sounds like one issue with the pass through is weight on the valve stem (I think ours are rubber not metal)

I am a bit clueless regarding this - pass through I assume means you can put air in the tire without removing the monitor...does this mean that the non-pass through monitors are simply a valve stem cap replacement? If so, what's the problem with that?

OH, looking on the web site I saw this JIC anyone else is considering buying on this month:
TST will be offering phone in specials on all systems. All systems sold in November come with a two year warranty! 770 889 9102
Old 11-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #7

You really should put in metal valve stems for the "valve cap replacement" type as well, even though they don't state that it is "required".

I like the simpler ones. I lose almost no air when putting them on/off. I take them off between trips for theft prevention and to save the batteries. I air the tires, put them on, can tell from the sensor readings if I need to add more air while I'm camped (which I've never needed to do). To me the pass-thrus are just added weight (and cost?) for nothing.

They've had that "buy now & get 2 year warranty" up for a VERY long time. It's hype (and I personally wish they'd lose some of the hype).
Old 11-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
Camper Less Camping

I prefer the screw ons vs pass thru...definitely install metal valve stems on RV tires as the rubber stems do lose air over time...2 year warranty is a plus.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
You really should put in metal valve stems for the "valve cap replacement" type as well, even though they don't state that it is "required".

I like the simpler ones. I lose almost no air when putting them on/off. I take them off between trips for theft prevention and to save the batteries. I air the tires, put them on, can tell from the sensor readings if I need to add more air while I'm camped (which I've never needed to do). To me the pass-thrus are just added weight (and cost?) for nothing.

They've had that "buy now & get 2 year warranty" up for a VERY long time. It's hype (and I personally wish they'd lose some of the hype).
Yeah - I can see your point Barry. Fact is though, before I really do ANYTHING to the rims/tires, I need to talk to my Dealer. We have a extended warranty with tire hazard and.....

I was really unhappy when I found out that we most likely have the "China Bomb" tires ( Trail Express Power Towing - the ones that are made in China). I am going to talk to my RV Dealer and see what can be done (if anything) about tire replacement - at that point I will not mind the expense of having metal valve stems put in.

Oddly enough though, my tires came from the factory nitrogen filled (something I would not have expected with a cheepo tire!)

So, as I understand it, the 507 system simply replaces the valve stem caps with a wireless TPMS cap?

Thanks for all the advice folks!

Bob
Old 11-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I've recently installed the 507 system and opted for the flow through sensors so I can inflate/deflate without removing the sensor. I'm not sure of the regular sensors, but the flow through sensor battery is only drawing when it's on the valve stem...remove them for the off season or between trips and save the battery life.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote