Old 01-07-2015, 03:57 PM   #1

Wrap hydraulic landing gear pistons with plastic wrap?

Good day all, I'm a new member--just got a 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback fifth wheel!

I live in an area with heavy industrial fallout. My coach will be stored in a covered farm implement barn with open sides, subject to lots of dust due to tractors and trucks moving around. So at least it will be protected from direct contact with acid rain.

Right now I have blocks under my front landing gear such that only 3 inches or so of the pistons are showing. I was thinking of first cleaning them with silicone spray and a good wipedown, then a second liberal shot of silicone followed by wrapping them with saran wrap.

I would remove the wrap and silicone/wipe the pistons again before hitching up.

My thinking here is the wrap will keep dust and other stuff off the exposed piston, and the silicone will prevent rust.

Is there a reason why I should NOT do this...?

Old 01-07-2015, 08:09 PM   #2
Oklahoma Proud

If it makes you feel better do it!

Just know that there are thousands of pieces of heavy equipment out there that are exposed to dust, gravel, tree branches and other stuff coming in contact with the hydraulic cylinders everyday. I personally have tortured the crap out of some of my machine hydraulic cylinders and never have scared or pitted one. I have bent a few and broke a few. Now i do have a '79 international 2 ton truck that has a dump ram that has some pits in it. But they were there from previous owners and the cylinder functions fine with only a little residue on the rod.

I think your gonna feel better if you do it, but i dont think its necessary. You might get some fogging spray like you use on boats. Its designed to coat carbs and engine parts during storage.
Good luck!!

Old 01-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #3

Being around heavy equipment most of my life I would agree that normally cylinders need no maintenance, but those are used 5-6 days a week. These are going to be exposed most of the time, I personally would take the time to protect them, it can't hurt.

Nights camped in 2015 40
Nights camped in 2016 39
nights camped in 2017 38
Crusadernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #4

My experience with hyd cylinders in ag and ind equipment is to leave them alone. They are hard chrome plated anyway and oiling them just collects dirt which is wiped off every time they retract by theseals located in the ends of the cylinders that are there just for that purpose.Adding more gunk to them only results in earlyer seal failure.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #5

Good info--thanks guys!
Old 01-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Steve View Post
Good day all, I'm a new member--just got a 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback fifth wheel!

I live in an area with heavy industrial fallout. My coach will be stored in a covered farm implement barn with open sides, subject to lots of dust due to tractors and trucks moving around. So at least it will be protected from direct contact with acid rain.

Right now I have blocks under my front landing gear such that only 3 inches or so of the pistons are showing. I was thinking of first cleaning them with silicone spray and a good wipedown, then a second liberal shot of silicone followed by wrapping them with saran wrap.

I would remove the wrap and silicone/wipe the pistons again before hitching up.

My thinking here is the wrap will keep dust and other stuff off the exposed piston, and the silicone will prevent rust.

Is there a reason why I should NOT do this...?
If you read the instruction manual, it will tell you to coat them once a month with WD40 or something similar. If you store or use your unit in a salty air environment they recommend weekly. The rams are not the same material that heavy equipment Rams are made of. Hence the warning. You could do as you said but once the sun hits them they could, (but doubt it) condensate between the ram and plastic wrap. You need to allow air in to stop that. With your discription of the dusty storage area you will really attract more dust then normal. I would go buy some duct board at lowes and create a box for around them very easy to do. This material will pit pretty easy, If you pit your Rams the next thing will have is leaking seals. They make these warnings for a reason. That is what I would do if it was my trailer parked there.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:49 PM   #7

I made blocks so that when the trailer is stored the rams are in the fully retracted position
Campingnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:51 PM   #8

I also do not think they made as good as industrial equipment.
Campingnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:29 PM   #9

protecting hydraulic cylinders

Hi all I have small hydraulic cylinders on my slides that are about 3 ft long
To protect them when I put out the slides for the summer, I clean them and spray them with wd40 and I bought a shop vac hose, that I cut in half and then split them lengthways to make covers to snap over the cylinders. this seems to keep my 2 rear slide cylinders clean. If you forget to take them off before closing a slide the just tend to pop off !
Old 01-08-2015, 02:53 PM   #10
Infractee

This may wrinkle a few feathers here but I have to say something, WD40 would be one of the absolute WORST things you could use, a close second would be any kind of silicone.
What should be used is the very fluid that they are in while retracted, which is whatever hydraulic fluid your system uses. If you take some on a clean rag and wipe the chrome while extended just before retracting you will be doing it a world of good.
This is the way aircraft are done and I promise you a lot of high dollar engineering has gone into that simple process requirement.

Find the spec for what your system uses and purchase a small amount that could be kept in a closeable squeeze bottle and throw it in the front bay and wipe them down before each retraction.

Tags
hydraulic