Old 08-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
X-chocks as stabilizers or wheel chocks?

I had an incident this past week where my camper was parked on a sloped lot. I had one side up on leveling blocks (1 block only) and the other side had the little yellow wheel chocks. The camper shifted to the side that was on the leveling blocks because those wheels were not chocked. So I looked up the reviews on the X-chocks and saw a comment that these were for stabilizing the camper and don't actually work as chocks. Is that true? I am interested in chocking the side that is not on leveling blocks and using the x-chock on the side that is on leveling blocks.

2014 Sunseeker 2860DS
gmacklem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
I believe tat is true ---not intended to be a wheel chock. But someone will chime in with a more definite answer.

Rick and Linda, Lindale, TX
2011 Flagstaff 8528 CKSS
2006 F350 SW
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
I use a combination of both. The side I am putting on levelers gets the X-wheel lock and I put 2 more chocks on the front and back of the opposing side. Might be extreme but I have never had a problem so far..
2013 Crusader 260RLD
2012 Silverado LTZ
Nights Camped 2013 - 54 (54 scheduled)
Nights Camped 2014 38
Golflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
Site Team
It's kinda/sorta true. They work great for stabilization and I use a pair religiously.

However I also use solid rubber wheel chocks to keep the trailer from rolling. The following is taken from X-Chocks website:

BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

NOTE: BAL's chocks are designed for locking trailer tires when camping. They should be put in place after disconnecting from your tow vehicle and after putting down your stabilizing jacks. They should be removed prior to hooking up to your tow vehicle. Failure to do so may damage your chocks. To avoid undesired trailer movement when disconnecting or hooking up to your tow vehicle, a tire "wedge" should be firmly placed behind one, or preferably both rear trailer tires.
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I've just ordered a chicken and an egg from Amazon.... I will keep you posted.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
I use both, also with chocks I make sure I chock the same axle.....
2013 Rockwood 8281SS 5W, Reese Revolution
2012 Toyta Tundra Crew Max 5.7 4x4, Timbrens
Jjsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Camper Less Camping
I've always used x-chocks for both purposes & never had any kind of shifting to not continue using them as both...wheel chock & stabilizers
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
I've always used x-chocks for both purposes & never had any kind of shifting to not continue using them as both...wheel chock & stabilizers
Me Too. I x-Chock both sides BEFORE un-hooking the 5er and remove after hooking. Never a problem. Plus I can check the hitch w/ the chocks in vs. plugging in the cord to apply trailer brakes. Saves a step or two.

"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
Denver, CO
I use rotochoks. first thing on (after leveling side to side) and last thing off. No other devices, don't need them. I check and retension them after everything is hooked uo, but rarely have to reset them..
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic LBZ Duramax/Allison (Stock)
2005 Bigfoot 1500C8.2 AWESOME
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
Mod free 5er
Use the X Chocks on both sides BEFORE unhooking and on the final walk around after hooking up and setting the emergency brake on the truck, I remove first the driver side XC, stow it, check the lights on the rear, remove the passenger side XC and stow it, final check on the roof antenna and leave. Have never had a problem with the trailer moving any amount with the X Chocks in place.
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
I use both now due to an incident I had where the xchock "popped out" and tt slid messing up my stab jacks.

Greywolfdan is offline   Reply With Quote

stabilizers, wheel