Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #41

Sorry medicine lapse. So last. Are you thinking about keeping this ride?
Old 05-24-2015, 02:28 PM   #42

Refuse to accept the 5th wheel!

PATIENCE is ALWAYS a VIRTUE, as you know, especially in this particular scenario as it is your money and not their's that is at stake! I think the VIN annotation is a
super one and would strive to make note of that when you can based on the intelligence of that reply ...excellent!

Don't forget that YOU want to be a HAPPY CAMPER and not one that is faced with a multitude of problems while camping so don't succumb and get only the unscathed, new one!! If you are really chomping at the bit perhaps you could rent until you take possession of your new one, again? Again...think HAPPY camping and none other than! Good luck! -PB
Old 05-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #43

If the dealer patches this unit up and dumps it at a auction or on their lot what about the next poor dude, you think he/she is going to be told about damage? I don't think so!
Old 05-24-2015, 04:45 PM   #44

LOL at 90% of the comments. Before you quote me do not take offence and consider yourself in the other 10% if taking offence.

99% of the unites will, have taken a harder hurt via a pothole while being towed to a camp site or while they were being hauled at 90mph for delivery. I would take the opertunity to get myself a great discount on a brand new RV though.

You have stated no visible signed of damage, get into the front cubby with a flashlight and check the frame out well. Again get a discount but I would not be scared away.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:53 PM   #45

Just a thought. If dealer was to take a known damaged unit on trade, do you think they would pay top dollar, or would the trade be worth less. I don't think I would take it, but there is the possibility of a good deal here. The damage will be documented & it will still be under warranty. Decisions, decisions, but don't see how they can make you take it. Good luck whatever you decide. Also, at least dealer was up front with you about it; that says something about their integrity.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:57 PM   #46

papa. Not sure of that "still be under warranty" Most new items that are damaged have a much lower price tag and minimum warranty. I believe.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:00 PM   #47

You are probably right mike.t. In that case, no warranty, I would in no way take it.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:10 PM   #48

I couldn't take it. Every time I took a trip I would be thinking the trailer was damaged and there is something going to break someone because of it
Old 05-24-2015, 06:23 PM   #49

camper. That or damn it. I new i should not have bought it. Speaking of bought it the OP has probably moved on from this and chuckling about all the replies;o)
Old 05-24-2015, 06:28 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by X96mnn View Post
LOL at 90% of the comments. Before you quote me do not take offence and consider yourself in the other 10% if taking offence.

99% of the unites will, have taken a harder hurt via a pothole while being towed to a camp site or while they were being hauled at 90mph for delivery. I would take the opertunity to get myself a great discount on a brand new RV though.

You have stated no visible signed of damage, get into the front cubby with a flashlight and check the frame out well. Again get a discount but I would not be scared away.
Yeah, I looked up in the nose, I checked to see if the walls were bulging, ran the slides in and out multiple times, etc. As I said, the initial phone call proceeded my initial post, and sounded much worse. Upon seeing the unit, it wasn't as bad... We negotiated for a further discounted price, as well as a written commitment for the dealer to cover anything deemed related to the front cap damage.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:37 PM   #51

So. You going to buy it??
Old 05-24-2015, 06:57 PM   #52

You get what you pay for. If you have problems down the road, after your warranty ends which is 1 or 2 years, well you were informed by many RVers and you will have to bite the bullet and pay. Don't forget that when it comes to trade-in, this is a damaged unit and you will not get top dollar. Best of luck.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
Old 05-24-2015, 07:10 PM   #53

Damm, guys, it probably only dropped 6" or less, not off of a cliff. As others have said you don't have a clue what the drivers that deliver them to the lots do with them as far as potholes, curbs, etc. They might even drop them while in the storage yard waiting to be delivered.. I think get it documented, get a real good deal, and go enjoy it..........
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
Old 05-24-2015, 07:12 PM   #54

Assuming by post #50 you went ahead and took delivery. You made a unwise decision probably because you trusted the dealer to his word and you didn't want to wait for another. The dealer is wiping the sweat off his head on this one as it's your baby now. Sure he put in writing he's backing up front cap damage ... what about the other 95% of the unit? This episode reminds me of a gal who all her friends tell her that her hubby has cheated, yet she sticks with him until she walks in on them someday and cries why didn't anyone tell me.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:32 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Assuming by post #50 you went ahead and took delivery. You made a unwise decision probably because you trusted the dealer to his word and you didn't want to wait for another. The dealer is wiping the sweat off his head on this one as it's your baby now. Sure he put in writing he's backing up front cap damage ... what about the other 95% of the unit? This episode reminds me of a gal who all her friends tell her that her hubby has cheated, yet she sticks with him until she walks in on them someday and cries why didn't anyone tell me.
Kind of unnecessary post. But typical of a forum.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:42 PM   #56

I haven't taken delivery, so your assumption is incorrect. I appreciate the responses here, no one really answered me on how there could be frame damage without damage to fiberglass, and the warranty ends after 2 years anyway. As I said, the damage was cracked gelcoat paint. No other damage. I went through the unit thoroughly, as I said a few posts above... The other 95% of the unit is covered by a warranty, for a period of time. Tell me what difference that makes at the end of that period? And there is some guarantee that any other unit won't booger up after the end of that period? I think not. Thanks again for all the responses, I read them all...
Old 05-24-2015, 07:55 PM   #57

Yikes... Dealer dropped my 5ver off the truck...

I have a motor home so may butcher some of the terminology and mechanics but... It's a fifth wheel right? I think you said so. I'm assuming the unit fell onto the pin. That's a pretty significant drop. It's definitely more than any potholes or curbs delivery drivers might have hit per what a few posters said. I'm guessing the pin is welded to the frame. My thought on the possible frame damage that I posted earlier today is the pin hitting the ground, thereby pushing the frame, which could have potentially caused internal damage behind the fiberglass. Again, I'm a motor home owner so don't fully get the mechanics of fifth wheels but that was my idea. It's your choice to buy or not obviously but don't criticize the forum for tossing out thoughts when you started the post soliciting opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
Old 05-24-2015, 08:00 PM   #58
Site Team

Alright, this one is getting off-track...especially when it becomes insultive.

The OP has stated he appreciates the advice from everyone, and the membership has offered all the opinions they can to help the OP in making an informed decision. It's his decision to make, and we can all agree on that.

This one can be put to bed now for the sake of forum harmony. There's nothing left to decide.

The site team is closing this thread.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Closed Thread

Tags
dealer, truck