Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 07:25 AM   #31

How could the frame be bent without any stress or cracks to the fiberglass? Just asking for education. The salesman made it sounds like it was cracked or fractured fiberglass, which would indicate to me stress to the frame. I didn't see that, I saw chipped paint, which definitely indicates an impact. I just don't see how the frame could be damaged, without seeing some indicator of stress to the fiberglass exterior.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:34 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I would make a note of the VIN if possible before you tell them no. This way they won't try to resell you the trailer later if you keep doing business with them, which you may. They had an accident, and admitted to it.

However, they are going to have an insurance claim on their own carrier, who may pay them fix it. Then they may try to resell it, without disclosing the previous damage...or not. I'm not saying they have or will do anything nefarious, but just informing you of a way to make sure it all stays above board for your sake.
x2

Old 05-24-2015, 08:36 AM   #33

No way.

While it was decent of the dealer to advise you, I wouldn't touch that unit. There could be other serious issues that are not visible. Shop around or order a new one for peace of mind if nothing else
Old 05-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #34
Done with this

Why should this even be a question? It's like the dealer wrecking your new Corvette. "Oh, we'll fix it like new before you pick it up." Ummmmm, nope.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
Old 05-24-2015, 09:01 AM   #35

In response to 4mula1fan . I work at different car dealers and i can assure you lot damage to new cars happens all the time. They are not obligated to tell you..so buyer beware even on new, whether its cars or campers..new simply means never registered to an owner. It doesn't mean accident free or problem free

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Old 05-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #36

In response to post #35, the following is mandatory in Ontario - "The Motor Vehicle Dealers Act (MVDA) has 22 explicit requirements for disclosure and one of them is - "If any collision or incident damage to the vehicle was greater than $3,000 (and the total cost of repair if known by the dealer)."

Do you know how easy it is to get to $3K in repairs?

Again, if it is cracked or peeled, be patient and order a new one. The dealer will not be out of pocket, so don't worry about that.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
Old 05-24-2015, 12:20 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostpatriot1974 View Post
How could the frame be bent without any stress or cracks to the fiberglass? Just asking for education. The salesman made it sounds like it was cracked or fractured fiberglass, which would indicate to me stress to the frame. I didn't see that, I saw chipped paint, which definitely indicates an impact. I just don't see how the frame could be damaged, without seeing some indicator of stress to the fiberglass exterior.
As the poster of the comment about the frame... I don't know honestly. I'm not that mechanically inclined unfortunately. From your posts, I'm assuming it fell down on the hitch area. So I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility that something inside may have gotten messed up. My comment was kind of a worst case example of what damage could be hidden. The point stands though that as soon as you sign, pay, & drive off the lot it's now yours. As so many others have said in this post, RV's have enough issues in general, why complicate it any more. The time you will spend now to find a new unit could potentially be offset if the one that got dropped needs any amount of significant repairs. I really like the suggestion of the poster who suggested ordering a new one & hitting the dealer up for a free rental for any planned trips. Yes it's inconvenient. But so will be fixing any significant repairs.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostpatriot1974 View Post
Who cares unless the OP is thinking about keeping it(which i doubt)
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
Old 05-24-2015, 12:38 PM   #39

Who is the dealer, if people know who it is they can be aware that there might be a fifth wheel being sold at a bargain price...Just sayin
Old 05-24-2015, 12:50 PM   #40
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Who cares unless the OP is thinking about keeping it(which i doubt)

That was the OP.

Closed Thread

Tags
dealer, truck