Old 12-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #21

Well Nigels I'm not sure, but I haven't seen many 10000 lbs. cars! and on top of that most cars are driven fairly frequently, whereas trailers (RV type ) sit in storage for months at a time, perhaps that has something to do with it??

Old 12-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #22
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigels View Post
Which brings us around yet again to the same old question: How come I can buy a new car and the bearings will last +100000 miles without ever giving them a thought?
I would answer, "because they are sealed and hard packed in the correct grease for the environment." They still fail; but since you can't inspect them it is almost always catastrophic.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #23

This seems fairly simple to me. Standard trailer wheel bearings are not sealed but they are enclosed and little dirt can get in. Synthetic lube (Mobil 1, Amzoil) will last 10 fold standard grease. Pack the bearings with synthetic lube, perform the correct wheel bearing clearance and leave it alone for the next 30-40,000 miles. That's a no bariner to me. It is my opinion based on knowledge and experience and it is what I will do.
JMTCW (Just My Two Cents Worth)

TeJay
Old 12-10-2012, 04:14 AM   #24

Pumping the grease

Thanks to all who have advised about how often and how much grease to pump into the system....as always until the 56% quit exceeding weight and speed limits for the systems we use data will not be as good as if it came only from the 44% that stay within the limits...it always improves the data here when we know which limits were exceeded....even to driving thru deep road water, fording a creek, or the high tide came in before the unit got moved.....along with tire carry more than 80% of posted weight on one wheel...or weight limit of one wheel exceeded...
and the poor guy that bought the used unit and tried to do it right got
it from the 56% group.....so have to factor that in to the data also...

Again thanks to all who post here on the forum.......

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2liv View Post
Thanks to all who have advised about how often and how much grease to pump into the system....as always until the 56% quit exceeding weight and speed limits for the systems we use data will not be as good as if it came only from the 44% that stay within the limits...it always improves the data here when we know which limits were exceeded....even to driving thru deep road water, fording a creek, or the high tide came in before the unit got moved.....along with tire carry more than 80% of posted weight on one wheel...or weight limit of one wheel exceeded...
and the poor guy that bought the used unit and tried to do it right got
it from the 56% group.....so have to factor that in to the data also...

Again thanks to all who post here on the forum.......
You forgot to post 75% of the people make up 3/4 of the World! Youroo!!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #26
Oklahoma Proud

U know on semi trailers the axles are oil bath, and filled a little less than half way because the rubber plug to check/add oil is in the center of the hub. If this works for them for 100s of thousands of miles than I believe there is no reason to fill our trailer hubs plumb full of grease.
Yep my boat has the bearing buddys, and I keep them full to keep moisture out- but they get packed or replaced every year and new seals every time. I see no reason to try to reuse seals- much cheeper than hub and spindle replacment.

My advise packem every year, throw a little extra gube in the cap and leave them alone. Of course if you are dragging your hubs through sand or water all the time, you might check more often.

Ps. I have equipment trailers w/ many thousands of miles w/no hub maintainance just look for leaks and check temps- so trailers can do the same as cars sometimes
Old 12-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #27

Millertime,
There are oil hubs available for travel trailers but I don't know the cost. However oil hubs allow the oil to circulate not like packed hubs. Once the grease is packed around the roller bearings that's where it is until it is changed.
I mentioned that I reused seals just to indicate that although they are important and 98% of the time I do replace them but they can be reused.

If the lube will last I don't see any reason to open up the hubs just to repack the hub if it does not need it. Especially if you are paying someone to do it. Why incur an extra $150-$250 annual expense if it's not necessary?? A lot of people have a difficult time finding a shop that can perform these simple service procedures. Also a lot of boat trailers don't have brakes therefore no hubs, shoes to ruin so it's OK to blow a seal.

If an axel can be hand-packed with a quality synthetic lube which will last for 30-40,000 miles using a sealed system then do it and leave it alone. Read other forums that report about the blown hubs over, and over and it happens because grease is pumped in annually by some who don't know how to do it. If they knew how to do it it might not happen. They are advised to raise each wheel and put in 1-2 squirts of grease.

JMTCW
TeJay
Old 12-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769
I always wonder if when they pull the hub off the spindle if mechanics take care to ensure the seal face does not contact the threads. Even a minor scrape might damage a rear axle seal and make it susceptible to blow out with even moderate grease pressure, I would think.
The same thing applies when I do crankshaft bearings or fork seals on the dirt bikes. Put masking tape around all the threads before removing or installing the hub so you don't harm the seal. You have to clean the threads up a little before taping but to me it's worth it.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #29

Motocross,
You are absolutely correct. When rebuilding mechanical devices one must take as much care as possible to assure all will go well. It's unfortunate that today's kids, and I worked with them for 35 years, are not as concerned or careful as we were taught. There's is only one way and that is the correct way. SOAP BOX TIME It is my belief that the grading system of 60%, 70%, etc, etc spawned kids who looked at a situation and said, "What's the least I can do and get credit." I always told them that they would not pass my class unless they changed their ways. If I hire you to rotate 4 tires will you be satisfied if I get 90% of the lugs back on and torqued correctly??? Maybe 95% would be OK??? You get my drift.
JMTCW
TeJay
Old 12-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #30

Answering my own question

Again thanks to all who posted here, I am sure it was benefiical to many more than I.....Conditions= New trailer from factory to dealer 600 miles..
I have no idea what the dealer did is anything, but there was a service sticker inside the cover. I drove the trailer 2200 miles....so total miles
estimated at about 2800 miles - delivery + my miles....I put 12-14 pumps
of EP #2 in each zerc and noticed grease coming back at me ..... the red
grease I bought flowed smooth with no resistance...from the old hand pump grease gun ordered out of JC Whitney cat about 40 years ago....
it takes the larger tube estmated 14 oz???? Now service will only require about 2-3 pumps I am thinking.....will know for sure when I get back from Fla.....thanks again for all the good info......AL KO says you do not have to lift wheel off the ground to service, but it does no harm to lift it and give it a spin....for me I won t lift it unless I am checking for bearing play....I figure it will spin enough on the road.....

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote