Old 04-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsportist View Post
Actually, I don't plan on ever using the zerks on my trailer's hubs. I have seen the pnuematic pressure of grease and I know of no known seals that will withstand the pressure required to push old grease out of old bearings.
There is little pressure required, unless you are trying to grease them in sub-zero weather. The bearings are open to the outside of the hub, so the grease just flows through the rear bearing, filling the center cavity, then out through the outer bearing.
Of course, the warmer the grease the better.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:25 AM   #52
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog2000 View Post
In my opinion giving the zircs a couple of pumps would just put a little fresh grease in the rear bearing and push some old grease into the front bearing.
If the hub is filled with clean grease initially, a few pumps will push the "dirty" grease out of the rear bearing and into the middle raceway. The clean grease in the raceway will push the front bearing's "dirty" grease out the front.

For a complete flush, you would continue pumping until you saw both "dirty" globs get pushed out.
Attached Images

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #53

The first time you pump it a few times your right, some new grease will flow into the rear bearing and the new grease in the hub will flow into the front bearing. Now you have some dirty grease in the hub possibly contaminating the rest of the grease. For a few bucks you can put fresh grease in the bearings and hub and be good for a long time. I believe that is what the engineers had in mind when they developed this system.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #54
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog2000 View Post
The first time you pump it a few times your right, some new grease will flow into the rear bearing and the new grease in the hub will flow into the front bearing. Now you have some dirty grease in the hub possibly contaminating the rest of the grease. For a few bucks you can put fresh grease in the bearings and hub and be good for a long time. I believe that is what the engineers had in mind when they developed this system.
This is why you need to fill the hub just after the bearings are packed and installed. If you wait till the bearing grease is dirty, you will need a complete flush out of all the dirty grease and fill the hub at the same time.
It will use about a quarter tube per hub.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #55

Pumping grease through the bearings to me is the same as repacking the bearings. I have seen the diagram of the hub with the little red arrows showing how the grease travels. My packing the bearings by hand and then filling the hub would just push the grease out that I just packed in the rear bearing and some of the front bearing.when I finally tear the hubs down in the spring next year I will make sure all bearings and seals will be american and the best money can buy and I set the bearings to how I want them I will not tear them down for a long time. I will check the temps of the hubs during my trips with a heat gun and check the grease I push out.This is how I will decide when to tear them down again to check them for wear or damage.I love this system as I can have fresh grease in the bearings before a long hot trip.