Old 06-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #1

Smile 2003 Cardinal help

Hi, we just bought a 2003 33' Cardinal from an elderly couple, it looks great, used only about ten times. He can't remember a few things about it as it has been in storage for a couple of years. Maybe someone can help.
1) It has the amber 'bug' lights above the door and under the steps. Where is the switch to turn them on?
2) the brake lights and turn signal lights on the left side do not work. I tried to take the plastic lens off to check the bulbs but both of them are sealed on with a black goop which I assume was to prevent leaking. They would not budge. Any ideas?
3) How do you sanitize and in the winter, put antifreeze in? I do not see any access to the fresh water tank other than the opening on the side. Do you use a funnel?
The awning screws came loose from the top side when we opened it. I used some toothpicks to allow the screws to grab and put it back up. Can we use the expandable picture hanger screws or are there other suggestions?
Thanks for any help.
Dave

Old 06-29-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
Cardinal 04 31LE

I have a 2004 Cardinal 31 LE so i am not sure my answers will match your rig.
1. The lights you described are on one switch. I have four switches on the wall as you exit the door they are on the left. One of the switches operate the two lights. I am going to label or someway identify mine as i am always turning on the wrong lights!

2. The black goop was placed there to seal the lens. You will likely have to GENTLY pry the lens away from the housing. OF COURSE THAT IS if there are no screws or tabs visable. I had a TT that had tabs in that case i would squeeze the top and bottom of the lens at the same time that i gently moved the lens back and forth to pry it away.

3. I can pump my antifreeze through the lines at my fresh water pump, which is located in the storage area under the bedroom on the left side of the rig. Left as you are pulling the rig. (otherwise you may call it the right side). Furthermore, there is a valve at the pump with a short hose attached. the valve diverts the flow to the short hose and away from the fresh water tank. I used about 3 gallons this past fall. I have a bypass valve on the water heater too otherwise, if you fill the water heater it will take 6 - 10 gallons more! I dont fill the fresh water tank.

Wife and Children just called me to dinner, i seldom miss a dinner! I will log back on in a few and continue....

Old 06-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
Cardinal 04 31LE

You can check in the technical forum but i believe there is a method to sanitize the fresh water tank and lines using household bleach on a 1:10 ratio or something like that. I suspect there are other sanitizing agents that are available at your local or regional RV store.

There are many excellent people on this forum, i am sure someone will answer your questions.

Welcome and good luck with your new rig.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
Grape Escape

I personally would not put any holes in panelling to hang anything. There are some hangers available from 3M that can be removed without leaving any marks. Some type of releasable tape. Have not tried them yet.
Will need a funnel to add water or some bleach to fresh tank if filling by jug.
Make sure any screws that you tighten are sealed well on the exterior.
I would replace awning strap as mine broke after only 1 yr. Could do alot of damage if it snaps when retracting awning. Less than 10$.
Step and orange bug light labeled as entry
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:53 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice. I only have three light switches but will try them again. As to the taillights, I will have to get something small to get behind the lens as they are recessed, but maybe I can pry them out. Also, thanks for the info using the water pump.
The awning strap still looks good, but I will watch it. Thanks for the responses. We look forward to going on our first trip to the Rocky Mtn Natl Park soon.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
Grape Escape

Awning strap

A word to the wise. Our awning strap looked like new only being a year old but it broke right where it meets the roller bar. I think it failed where it is sewed around slide point. I will replace it on an annual basis as cheap insurance. Was lucky with first failure as no damage to rig but I saw what force it can release.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
I would replace awning strap as mine broke after only 1 yr. Could do alot of damage if it snaps when retracting awning. Less than 10$.
After reading a post where the strap broke, I bought an extra 1. But, I put it on in addition to the stock strap......a redundant system. The missus holds onto 1 strap, while I hold onto the 2nd strap and release the awning. We both guide the awning in until she can no longer reach, and then I let the awning in the rest of the way with the extension.....but at that time it doesn't have very far to "slam" home if that 1 strap should break.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardinal