Old 04-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #1

2004 Cardinal

Hello. We have a 2004 Cardinal wich we purchased from the original owner. Have taken it out numerous times with no problems, however, it's been a year since we've gone anywhere. Took it out over spring break; all worked fine for 4 days. Then, all of a sudden the kitchen sinks won't drain. Nothing put down them but water, and clear liquids. NO grease or solids of any kind.

When we got home, my hubby cut the line under the sink, no blockage; then he cut the line by the steps to the br, ran a 25 ft pig all the way in, but no blockage. We are not sure the pig went all the way to the holding tank. Next he got on the roof and tried going done the vent. Same story third verse. No blockage, but not sure it went to the tank.

Has anyone else run into this problem, and how did you fix it? Or does anyone have any further suggestions? We are trying to keep from cutting into the floor.

Thanks,
Sewkool39

Old 04-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #2

my first thought is that the tank is full. if that isn't the case, try using a plunger on the sink and see if it pulls anything but air out.

you should be able to get to all the plumbing without cutting the floor.

are u sure the tank is front holding tank is empty? the drain line could be plugged.
On my 2002, the sink gray water is the right (rear) most handle, center is black, and the fdw one (accessed thru cargo area) is for the tub, shower, lavatory, and washer/dryer.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #3

2004 Cardinal

Hello jimh. Thanks for your fast response. We did all you suggested while we were camping. Didn't help. Hubby also tried blowing the lines out with high pressure air...no help there either. Would like to get our hands on the drawings for the camper, but have had no luck there with Forest River, or the dealer that originally sold the unit.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #4

a couple other things...on mine, the sink drain goes toward the drawers then it "T"'s into the line that goes to the tank. the upper end of the t is what i think is a vent. i've read abt this but first time i've seen it. it could be that is the problem. my guess is it is a vacuum breaker to allow the water to drop. don't really know...surely it really isn't an open vent into the cabinet. it looks more like a cap but there is something like silicone greese around one of the joints. it looks like it can be unscrewed but didn't really check it.

second item, can u flow water back into the gray tank? were u able to get anything out when u dumped at the campground? i'm thinking of connecting the sewer hose, open the tank (for the sink) valve, lift the sewer hose above the tank and see if u can get water to flow back into the tank. if u can't, the water will come back out by u. this would tell u if the line from the dump valve is open back to the tank.

i'm picking at straws now. had a plumber tell me that vents or lack of them can cause problems (last time i talked to him was 40 yrs ago).
i have a 2002 33ts. if u follow the drain line from the sink, it goes thru a cabinet wall into another part of the cabinet. the t is just after u pass thru this wall. the line continus to below and behind the stove, thru the pantry to the gray tank.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #5

Our lines run different than yours. Right past the stairs, it goes down to the tank and the vent comes in as a y at the drop. Ours is a 2004-29TS.

Instead of trying to back flow from the black tank he is thingking of filling the gray tank with a water hose until it comes into the bathtub. Also thinking of putting soap, or something to dissolve grease, just in case, in the water and let it soak for a few hours.

Hubby has ruled out vent problems as he replaced all of them. If all else fails, he may end up taking it to a shop and have them fix it. But we want to avoid that expense if at all possible!!
Old 04-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #6

cant get rid of the smell

look at the post by milzat on 5-10-10 at 3:01pm. don't know how to post the link directly to it. they are talking abt that vent. didn't know i had one until i went out looking for another vent on mine (just before my last post) other than the tank vent. mine was well hidden; i had to take the drawers out and look back. it rises to almost the level of the sink. it looks like a stub sticking up with a cap on it. i haven't looked, but i'm probably going to find one under the lavatory.

i wasn't suggesting running the black tank back into the kitchen gray tank. what ur talking abt will do the same: just filling the other gray tank and opening both gray with the drain cap on. what i'm suggesting is backing water back into the kitchen gray in case it has a plug.

i had a vessel at work that would not drain into one that was 20' lower. found the lower drum was under vacuum. broke the vacuum and the other drained into it. i don't understand it but we proved that breaking the vacuum would work several times.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:56 PM   #7

turns out my washer doesn't have a vacuum breaker but it doesn't change level after the trap and goes into the vent abt 1.5 feet away.

the lavatory and sink do have them. these pictures are what they look like. looks like they screw on. if the water backs up again, should be easy to unscrew it and see if that is the problem.

your sink may drain like my washer and not have any bends other than the trap in it before it drains into a vent.

the bottom is the one by the sink. the line leading back thru the cabinet goes to the sink. the sink is just on the other side of the cabinet wall. the lower part of the T goes down and around the stove, thru the pantry wall and ties into the tank vent there. if the wall wasn't between the sink and the vac breaker, the lavatory and sink would appear to be piped similar.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #8

Thanks for all your help, and your trouble trying to help us. We just filled the tank with water and soap to soak a couple of hours. Did talk to the service manager where the unit was originally bought and he didn't think there were any drawings for the water lines.

If this doesn't work, we'll take it in and have it repaired. The good news is that we have an extended policy on the unit, and if it is the vents, it should be covered. The shop we use is good and seams to be fair. Just didn't want to spend $90 per hour if it's a non covered issue....

On another note, do you by any chance know where we might get slide out canopies? No luck there either, and they have to be replaced. Kind of like owning a house....always something! !
Old 04-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #9

r u talking abt those roll up cover that are mounted just above the slide out and unroll as the slideout extends. the ones that look like they are made like an old window shade?
i went back to the dealer for mine. the laminate started seperating after 2 yrs.