Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #1

Question 2008 Cardinal Storage Vapor/Fire resistant?

Hello,
We purchased a 2008 Cardinal 30RK ""LE edition") and had a Cummins/Onan propane gen set installed in the front storage . Installation was done by dealership in CA. The question we have now is it safe? The installation manual for the generator says lining of the storage compartment must be "covered with vapor and fire resistant materials, 26 gauge galvanized steel or equivalent"! This was not done, The wood/carpet covered materials are there. On a portion of the floor under the bedroom, (the top part of the related storage compartment) there is a black colored plastic material which appears to have been installed at manufacture. There are some portions presumably wood, are in turn covered with a carpet material typical of storage compartment. Bottom line does anyone know if Cardinal installed vapor fire resistant materials in the storage compartment?
Thanks for feedback as we wish to correct prior to next rv trip.
Sincerely
Doug aka Wanderer
All who wander are not lost!

2009- 42 days; 2010-40 days, 2011- 40 days. 2012- 30 days,
2013- 14 days, 2014- 21 days, 2015- 42 days
2016-17 days, 2017-zero days
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:02 PM   #2

Doesn't sound very safe to me, but not unusual for the work some RV dealers do. I would contact Onan and see what type of installation they would like to see.
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
Doesn't sound very safe to me, but not unusual for the work some RV dealers do. I would contact Onan and see what type of installation they would like to see.
Hello GOTTOYS,
yes sent email to Cummins/Onan primary website. They in turn referred me to "Cummins Pacific", I'm in California) which I called this A.M. Talked to "technical" and they referred me/transferred me to "engineering" which went to voicemail. Left message. No reply as yet. Plan to call them first thing tomorrow. So far seems like typical bureaucratic runaround!

Old 12-12-2014, 05:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Hello GOTTOYS,
yes sent email to Cummins/Onan primary website. They in turn referred me to "Cummins Pacific", I'm in California) which I called this A.M. Talked to "technical" and they referred me/transferred me to "engineering" which went to voicemail. Left message. No reply as yet. Plan to call them first thing tomorrow. So far seems like typical bureaucratic runaround!
After several calls and emails I got adequate response and the Cummins rep put it in an email so I have it to pressure Best RV to correct this issue.. Bottom line Cummins/Onan, says the compartment must be lined with vapor/fire resistant materials such as 26 gage galvanized steel or equivalent and all openings sealed with vapor/fire resistant sealer. They also advised me the air ventilation inlets and outlets were incorrectly sized and that the batteries should be in a separate compartment or separated from genset.

Also related is that the Cummins rep said dealers are not "qualified/certified" etc by them for genset installations??? Go figure!

So what stated out as a great idea now finds us with a lot of corrective work to do. The dealer is 700 miles round trip...

So any of you folks in the Forest River groups considering a genset for your rig take note.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #5

Obviously dealer who did the work did not follow safe common sense pracrices. I would not even attempt to start or run it until thet completed the job safely
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:58 PM   #6

Dealer installed my Onan in a galvanized metal enclosure, and my batteries are next to it in battery boxes that are vented to the outside, I inquired as to why the gen door did not get a vent installed and was told that propane gensets did not require the same ventilation system as gasoline. It works great and has over 400 hr on it. No carpet in front compartment and camper did not come from factory with gen prep option.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
rugersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:22 AM   #7

Genset installation, Propane

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugersdad View Post
Dealer installed my Onan in a galvanized metal enclosure, and my batteries are next to it in battery boxes that are vented to the outside, I inquired as to why the gen door did not get a vent installed and was told that propane gensets did not require the same ventilation system as gasoline. It works great and has over 400 hr on it. No carpet in front compartment and camper did not come from factory with gen prep option.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
We are in California, and this unit has "catalyst type exhaust which" the manual warns "results in subsequent higher exhaust gas temperatures and higher cooling inlet temperatures" and requirements of "galvanized enclosure and Hot Air Recirculation Test" are necessary as is separate battery compartment. My batteries have a plastic cover with seals and venting to the outside. Still trying to get dealer to resolve these issues.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:45 AM   #8

I can't say I'm not surprised that a so called dealer would do that. Sorry you got that problem now. Sure glad you did some homework and caught it. I guess your going to have to give your dealer a chance to correct it, but then I would have it inspected by Onan themselves. You might not wake up one day. Catalyst exhaust systems do run hotter, just like on a car. Also surprised that they installed it where your batteries are located. Good luck and may I say your a smart man for not trusting the installation and reading the manual. By the way did that dealer represent themselves as a Onan dealer? I lived in Cal. the bay area for 25 years, and know how strict the EPA and rules are there to do anything which even surprises me more. Let us know what your SO-CALLED dealer has to say.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardinal, storage