Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2017, 10:56 AM   #1

2013 Cardinal 3450RL house battery

What's everyone using for a house battery? ours is shot and wont hold a full charge? Recommendations/suggestions appreciated.
LCWarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:23 AM   #2

I have 4 6V golf cart batteries. But unless you do a fair amount of dry camping a good 12V dual purpose battery from WalMart, Sams, or Costco will do just fine.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:04 AM   #3

Get two deep cycle 6volt GC batteries. Had mine for 4 years they work. great. Looks like you got good life out of that one .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:10 AM   #4

depends on how you use the trailer? do you camp without electrical hookups or use sites that have shore power. if you do not camp without electrical hookups almost anything will work. there are many 12 volt marine / deep cycle batteries at Walmart and similar places. if you camp without electrical hookups you will have already experienced the need for higher capacity batteries. many ways to go also (6 volt series or 12 volt parallel). one other concern would be whether you have a residential refrigerator and inverter. if you do I would get higher capacity batteries that would run the refrigerator via the inverter while you are travelling. do you want maintenance free batteries or do you check them and add water as needed? finally, i'm guessing here, but your post seems to imply that you only have a single battery. do you have space for two? if you only have one battery and a residential refrigerator that seems to be very marginal battery capacity.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
depends on how you use the trailer? do you camp without electrical hookups or use sites that have shore power. if you do not camp without electrical hookups almost anything will work. there are many 12 volt marine / deep cycle batteries at Walmart and similar places. if you camp without electrical hookups you will have already experienced the need for higher capacity batteries. many ways to go also (6 volt series or 12 volt parallel). one other concern would be whether you have a residential refrigerator and inverter. if you do I would get higher capacity batteries that would run the refrigerator via the inverter while you are travelling. do you want maintenance free batteries or do you check them and add water as needed? finally, i'm guessing here, but your post seems to imply that you only have a single battery. do you have space for two? if you only have one battery and a residential refrigerator that seems to be very marginal battery capacity.
Rv fridge and we havent camped in it yet! But I sure when we do itll be a full service rv park to start out with. Im sure because the coach sat for 4 yrs the battery was never or rarely used.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:12 PM   #6

In my 2007 Sunseeker 3100 I can fit 2 parallel Exide 31MDC (marine deep cycle) batteries in the compartment. The main difference among 24, 27, and 31 size batteries is the length, and you would want to check your compartment and then the Exide website for specs and get the largest battery(s) that will fit. I have an 1100 watt inverter wired directly to the batteries, and it will power my wife's CPAP all night and then just make a pot of coffee in the morning before low voltage trips the alarm.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
In my 2007 Sunseeker 3100 I can fit 2 parallel Exide 31MDC (marine deep cycle) batteries in the compartment. The main difference among 24, 27, and 31 size batteries is the length, and you would want to check your compartment and then the Exide website for specs and get the largest battery(s) that will fit. I have an 1100 watt inverter wired directly to the batteries, and it will power my wife's CPAP all night and then just make a pot of coffee in the morning before low voltage trips the alarm.
I havent taken the old battery out yet but plan too tomorrow, Ill know better what size/class battery it is. I do know there's only one battery in this 5th wheel.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #8

I have six GC batteries installed but I mainly dry camp.
rugersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:15 AM   #9

I’m using Interstate deep cycle
slalonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:41 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalonde View Post
I’m using Interstate deep cycle
That's fine if you always have hookups.
But it's not a true deep cycle battery.
The only Interstate true deep cycle batteries, are their 6v golf cart batteries.

But if you plan on dry camping or boondocking, a single Interstate marine battery isn't going to last long.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:38 AM   #11
"On the road again"

In our previous fifth wheel we had a single Interstate deep cycle battery that lasted for years and was still fine when we traded it in. But - we never did any boondocking. Our new Cardinal has dual 12-volt deep cycle batteries.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:02 PM   #12

AMP hours are what you should think about. Also if anyone has a residential refer industry standard is either 2 27 series wired parallel or 2 6V wired in series. In the first the capacity is doubled and the second voltage is doubled to give you 12 V but the capacity remains the same.
There’s good info on the net about amp hours which is the measurement of how long the battery will last with a constant draw. Series 27 105 amp hours, single 6V golf cart battery 240 amp hours.
https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/arti...-tutorial.html
Walking thunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, battery, cardinal