Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2014, 05:52 PM   #1

Exclamation 2015 Forest River Cardinal - beware

I had a 2005 Cardinal 29RK - had it since new and it was great, just let it go to get a 2015 Cardinal 3800FL. What a mistake!!!!

We received the trailer without the generator even hooked up, this was found with the walk through. The trailer was still full of water from the factory when it was 10 degrees, all frozen with multiple issues... The underbelly is now leaking and the water heater too! We took the trailer out 1 time, the water to the fridge, not hooked up and when we went to bring the slides in- they wouldn't come in. The remote for the slides operates the level jacks, the slides won't work, and neither will the 6 point level system. The bedroom slide makes a clunking sound, the air mattress was delivered with the wrong size, and trim is falling off. Now I'm told it's going back to the factory... It's only 6 weeks old, has spent 4 weeks in the shop and was used for 2 day.... My opinion - LEMON. When I was at the dealer he told me another 2015 Cardinal had a broken frame and was in legal proceedings... Oh gosh! After my first trailer it's my opinion the quality has fallen off a cliff, what a disappointment, now I'm having to look at lawyers! $100,000 retail and this is what it gets you...

Has anyone else heard of quality drops with Cardinal products?
Calpolydm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. Hope you feel better now. In fact I have not heard of a quality drop. Blue Ridge used to be by Cardinal and is now a FR line. Our quality is good. With something this complex, there will always be problems. Our trailer had a major hydraulic leak when I did my first walkthrough, but it was a simple matter of replacing an elbow fitting.

The fact they did not winterize a unit in freezing conditions is the greatest concern about attention to detail. Of your issues, I see none which could not have been fixed locally, so I am curious about why it has to go to the factory.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #3

FR does some seriously shoddy work. I can't count the number of things I've found in my trailer that the factory screwed up. But then, I only spent $22k, and not $100k. I sort of expect some of the work to be shoddy.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:59 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to chuckw5kav
A lot of maney for 2015 Cardinal 3800FL with all
the problems, as Narbora stated Blue Ridge used
to be by Cardinal and but is now a FR line no
longer a Cardinal line and as he state quality is
good, do mfg make mistakes yes but I think
FR stands behind their products more
than most.
W5KAV
Last years Camping 125 days
This years Camping 150 an still going
chuckw5kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #5
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitNine View Post
FR does some seriously shoddy work. I can't count the number of things I've found in my trailer that the factory screwed up. But then, I only spent $22k, and not $100k. I sort of expect some of the work to be shoddy.
Can I disagree, even if I only paid twenty dollars for any product I want it to be exactly what it is being sold as, I have purchased products that needed some assembly but there was an announcement on the box. $22K is still a lot of money and may be a lot more to some than others.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #6

Your first clue is a trailer that did not get winterized. Bad from factory and double bad that dealer did not do it either. If dealer did not take the time to winterize it, you have to wonder, did they take the time to fully prep the RV for the customer?

The other question is, you have a 2015 brand new camper. Did the items you mention as broken work during your PDI. You did do a thorough PDI using one of the extended testing checklists available here didn't you?
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

We originally looked at the Cardinal 3800FL, but by the time we made up our mind, the dealer stopped carrying the Cardinal due to the qualitative issues. We ended up with a CC 38FL instead, which had had some issues but nothing like the OP....
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:59 PM   #8

3 weeks into my 3727re 2015 bad dealer prep I looked at the unit when it came in saw a loose pull valve . when I picked it up it was still loose . broken max air control box (on order) unit was dirty inside and out big scratch in tile floor . Ok took it home no big deal got home notice the circuit breaker box door will not stay closed ok no big deal . went to load the under storage area from my garage came back out and door latch had ripped off the door as I looked there was another set of hole s where it had happened before now I'm a little concerned (the fix was machine screws with a backer plate ) O I'm not done the floor is coming unglued at the joint near entrance area . the 4' tube for waste hose storage is useless a coupling is 5" I put a 6" tube on in its place . I have not put water to it yet but soon . traveling in 2 weeks 80,000 dollars later and climbing yup I can feel your pain
rescue 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calpolydm View Post
I had a 2005 Cardinal 29RK - had it since new and it was great, just let it go to get a 2015 Cardinal 3800FL. What a mistake!!!!

We received the trailer without the generator even hooked up, this was found with the walk through. The trailer was still full of water from the factory when it was 10 degrees, all frozen with multiple issues... The underbelly is now leaking and the water heater too! We took the trailer out 1 time, the water to the fridge, not hooked up and when we went to bring the slides in- they wouldn't come in. The remote for the slides operates the level jacks, the slides won't work, and neither will the 6 point level system. The bedroom slide makes a clunking sound, the air mattress was delivered with the wrong size, and trim is falling off. Now I'm told it's going back to the factory... It's only 6 weeks old, has spent 4 weeks in the shop and was used for 2 day.... My opinion - LEMON. When I was at the dealer he told me another 2015 Cardinal had a broken frame and was in legal proceedings... Oh gosh! After my first trailer it's my opinion the quality has fallen off a cliff, what a disappointment, now I'm having to look at lawyers! $100,000 retail and this is what it gets you...

Has anyone else heard of quality drops with Cardinal products?
I'm pretty sure I would have walked away from a $100k deal if it wasnt winterized in 10deg weather. bought a popup a few years back that had a frozen solid water heater upon PDI (I bought it in Jan) and I made them let it thaw out and run with no leaking before i'd sign and take it. It was only $7k but that's not the point...throwing money out the window sucks.

I hope it gets better for you...

TV = 2016 F-150 5.0L SCREW
Pit Crew: DW (Robin)
Kids: 9yo DD (Riley), 5yo DD (Kennedy)
Security: Boxer (Harley), yorkie (Willow)
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:54 AM   #10

Thanks for the input all.

Some of the items were found during the walk-through. They corrected most, although the bedroom slide which makes the noise still does so they didn't do a stellar job of getting that fixed. I had a detailed check list so it's disappointing so many issues are present. What we didn't find was the malfunction in the hydraulic system. This one has everyone scratching their heads, the full cycle worked during the walk through, but now the slide remote controls the auto level (although it doesn't control it correctly, and shouldn't). The dealer says the two hydraulic system electrical components are separate so something is way off. Maybe electrical or maybe the 12V hydraulic distribution.

We haven't figured out if the water heater is shot or where the underbelly leak is coming from. The dealer said they haven't tackled those issues because if they have to send the trailer to the factory they can fix it all there, makes sense.

Hopefully they can get this figured out and soon.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:57 AM   #11
Incheon, S. Korea

"Blue Ridge used to be by Cardinal and is now a FR line."

I think this says it all, unfortunately. I only have a popup now, but da#n! I expected my new trailer to be the same quality as my 2007 Starcraft.

Good luck and keep us posted. At least you can be sure that FR customer service will take care of you.
They took care of me, and I live overseas!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:38 AM   #12

The remote is usually always powered by the battery when the disconnect is open. I would unplug the trailer and disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes to reboot the electronics then retest from there.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #13
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Please see my post of 2/13/2014 regarding Auto Level / Slide Interaction - there HAS to be something to this, although the dealer "couldn't duplicate the problem" and we haven't seen it again since. Still nervous every time I start mashing buttons on the control panel. I do it all in manual mode now and the remote stays in the drawer.....
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #14

Sounds like poor quality control. The dealer should have got most of this. Just give them a chance to get it right before you Lawyer up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forest River Forums mobile app
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #15

Poor quality absolutely.

As of yesterday the dealer was still "working" on it, they say they started on Monday. I have a hard time believing they are still working on it.

I'm trying to be patient but I am about out. This weekend will make 4 of 6 that this piece has been in the shop.

I'm not trying to lawyer up, but if they don't get this done I will have no option. I didn't pay all this money for it to sit on the dealer lot.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #16
Always Learning

IMO, if you've lost faith in your dealer, it's time to get the camper as is and work with Cardinal to help you find somewhere else to take it.

Good luck!
Old 05-02-2014, 10:44 PM   #17

Big Baron, Cardinal and Blue Ridge are both Forest River brands. I own a 20014 Blue Ridge and except for some minor differences they are the same.
mbrolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:54 PM   #18

Calpolydm, I would lawyer up because I know you would win against a little company like Forest River, I would also called them everyday telling them you are going to lawyer up that will want them to help you with your problems much faster.
You really know how to get the most from a company, I think a good lawyer could get you money back in about 6 years and a cost of may $15,000.
Also the factory does not use water to test the systems, they are tested with air pressure so you may want to ask your dealer to tell you the facts about how the system froze.
I have been dealing with Cardinal for over 6 years and they take care of you if asked in the correct way. Otherwise you better lawyer up and take your changes on who will win.
Topkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:58 PM   #19

Good Luck you going to need it.
Topkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:24 AM   #20
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrolin View Post
Big Baron, Cardinal and Blue Ridge are both Forest River brands. I own a 20014 Blue Ridge and except for some minor differences they are the same.
Thanks, but I know that. It just amazes me a the disparity of QC among similar (or identical) trailers that come out of the various factories.
Is someone asleep? Is it that the Amish don't drink coffee?

I bet a few good phone calls would get this taken care of. FR has really good customer service ONCE you get in touch with the right people.

@Topkick - Maybe you could PM the OP a phone number or two.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardinal, forest river