Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2017, 12:48 AM   #1

32 gallon black water tank????????

We have a 2017 Cardinal 3250RL, our two prior trailers had 50 gallon Black Water tanks, the 3250RL has a 40 gallon Black Water Tank. I have never experienced the black water tank being filled prior to this trailer. After emptying the black water tank & making sure it was as clean as I could possibly make it I decided to fill the black water tank gallon by gallon. I filled a gallon bottle of water (which you buy at a store) twice and put in a two & half gallon bucket, I then emptied the two gallons of water into the toilet (black water tank), after putting into the tank approximately 32 gallons of water the toilet started "burping" indicating the black water tank is full. Forest River told our dealer they would not authorize any time to correct the problem. Our Cardinal is generator prepped, meaning it can or will be used for dry camping, loosing 8 gallons of black water is a big deal but Forest River doesn't seem to care. Any one else experiencing this problem?
1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:44 PM   #2

That is your vent pipe it may be in a little low. Maybe you can get it raised.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:18 AM   #3

Just a hunch but you may have fell victim to "buyer beware" or specifically "However during the model year Forest River Inc reserves the right to make changes without notice including prices, colors, materials, equipment and specifications" which is plastered all over the websites, brochures, and other places.

I say a hunch because Forest River uses lots of 33 gallon tanks, the Alpha Systems VB22548H.

It's not uncommon to run out of a part and make a substitution when building units on the line, or just make an oops and realize something does not fit....but this one will. They're not going to disclose that which is the reason to have a disclaimer.

I doubt it's the vent location because filling with buckets through the toilet would equalize the pressure while you had the flapper valve open.

You could always drop the underliner some and try and find the number on the tank which is usually molded into the bottom or on a label FWIW.

Even then if it is a 32 gallon and not sized as per the specs, you do not have much to stand on due to that disclaimer they have everywhere, unless you can somehow get them to agree to change it. Good luck with that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forest River Forums mobile app
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:48 PM   #4

Mr Havercamp thank you for the specific information on the tank, unfortunately your hunch could be right, I hope not. I have called Forest River's west coast Rep, waiting to hear back.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:35 PM   #5

32 gallon black tank

Every rig I have owned, has had a smaller black tank. That's just the nature of the type of rig we buy.
Our simplest fix for extended ry camping (we camp a month in the field for Elk Camp) is " men go outside". During the day, women use the outside privy to micturate, If we build one, otherwise they "take a walk".
My father in law (blame him) once said, "If you are too decrepit to go to the bathroom outside, then you are too old to go dry camping. Move into town."
He was a gruff old dude, but he was also 74 when he said that. In Elk Camp.
We never fill the tank completely full, there is adequate space in the tank for night calls, and emergencies, and we usually don't have to pull the rig out in the middle of the hunt, to empty. If we do, it's a full day in town, showers , laundry and a big supper at a restaurant.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
Every rig I have owned, has had a smaller black tank. That's just the nature of the type of rig we buy.
Our simplest fix for extended ry camping (we camp a month in the field for Elk Camp) is " men go outside". During the day, women use the outside privy to micturate, If we build one, otherwise they "take a walk".
My father in law (blame him) once said, "If you are too decrepit to go to the bathroom outside, then you are too old to go dry camping. Move into town."
He was a gruff old dude, but he was also 74 when he said that. In Elk Camp.
We never fill the tank completely full, there is adequate space in the tank for night calls, and emergencies, and we usually don't have to pull the rig out in the middle of the hunt, to empty. If we do, it's a full day in town, showers , laundry and a big supper at a restaurant.
This our 3rd trailer, first two were pull trailers & smaller, both had 50 gallon black water tanks, 60 gallons grey wear. Our dry camping is usually in a campground and using campground facilities during the day is the norm. The 3250 RL is a big trailer so we won't be dragging it to our favorite campsites. We never filled up a 50 gallon tank. Most trailers have smaller black water tanks and larger grey water tanks, I would prefer larger black water tanks and smaller grey water tanks. Thanks for the reply.
Still waiting on my call from FR.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:45 AM   #7

I received a call from the western rep and he basically said FR would not authorize $$ to go on a "fishing expedition", to determine if the black water tank would fill up at 32 gallons. I understand this stance to a point, I could be wrong in my calculations or the tank may have a build up of waste inside, neither which FR should have to pay for. I know my measurements are not exact, but correctly approximate & there is no "build up" in the tank. After a discussion over this problem I sensed the rep wanted to help but FR was not going to spend $$ on an issue until they saw the issue. I posed the question to the rep, "what if I agree to pay the dealer to fill the black water tank & if I am right", will FR agree to pay for the needed repair, he said if the dealer's inspection indicated there was an issue FR would do the needed repairs under warranty. The rep said they only install 40 gallon tanks in the Cardinal. Next move is up to me.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
I received a call from the western rep and he basically said FR would not authorize $$ to go on a "fishing expedition", to determine if the black water tank would fill up at 32 gallons. I understand this stance to a point, I could be wrong in my calculations or the tank may have a build up of waste inside, neither which FR should have to pay for. I know my measurements are not exact, but correctly approximate & there is no "build up" in the tank. After a discussion over this problem I sensed the rep wanted to help but FR was not going to spend $$ on an issue until they saw the issue. I posed the question to the rep, "what if I agree to pay the dealer to fill the black water tank & if I am right", will FR agree to pay for the needed repair, he said if the dealer's inspection indicated there was an issue FR would do the needed repairs under warranty. The rep said they only install 40 gallon tanks in the Cardinal. Next move is up to me.
Very good customer service when it's put on the customer to need to "prove" a potential defect. I guess taking someone's word is out of the question. I would get an exact 1 gal container and start filling just to be double sure. Then maybe go the route you suggest. After the reps statement I think I would want that course of action in writing. He does not trust you now.....do you trust him? It sounds trivial but to me 8 gallons of capacity is a big deal. When I am shopping the very first thing I look at is the tank capacities. 8 gallons is another 2 days at least on a site without hookups.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:04 AM   #9

Quote:
This our 3rd trailer, first two were pull trailers & smaller, both had 50 gallon black water tanks, 60 gallons grey wear. Our dry camping is usually in a campground and using campground facilities during the day is the norm. The 3250 RL is a big trailer so we won't be dragging it to our favorite campsites. We never filled up a 50 gallon tank. Most trailers have smaller black water tanks and larger grey water tanks, I would prefer larger black water tanks and smaller grey water tanks. Thanks for the reply.
Still waiting on my call from FR.
1010,I just want to say that You are "Definitely" in the Minority in regards to "Smaller Gray Tanks"! Vegas would give "1000 to 1 Odds" on that one! Youroo!!
Old 01-29-2017, 10:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
1010,I just want to say that You are "Definitely" in the Minority in regards to "Smaller Gray Tanks"! Vegas would give "1000 to 1 Odds" on that one! Youroo!!
Why? You can almost always dump grey water while in your campsite, maybe a bucket at a time and a short walk to water the plants but you can not do that with the black water.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Why? You can almost always dump grey water while in your campsite, maybe a bucket at a time and a short walk to water the plants but you can not do that with the black water.
Wait till this takes off. LOL
Old 01-29-2017, 10:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Very good customer service when it's put on the customer to need to "prove" a potential defect. I guess taking someone's word is out of the question. I would get an exact 1 gal container and start filling just to be double sure. Then maybe go the route you suggest. After the reps statement I think I would want that course of action in writing. He does not trust you now.....do you trust him? It sounds trivial but to me 8 gallons of capacity is a big deal. When I am shopping the very first thing I look at is the tank capacities. 8 gallons is another 2 days at least on a site without hookups.
Customer service is a thing of the past, taking someone's word, also gone. I will redo my tank fill and do I trust him, not particularly but asking for that in writing will probably p... him off for not taking his word, hmmmm.
I expressed your thoughts (as mine) to the rep, "sounds trivial.....".
Old 01-29-2017, 10:46 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
NOT true!
Lots of national and state parks prohibit dumping gray water in a campsite.

It's the soapy water with food particles that attracts insects, pests and animals.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:54 PM   #14

1010 should read the thread on stinky grey water, and pay attention to camp ground rules. I dont know of a single campground that wouldn't kick you out the second they caught you red handed dumping grey or black.

I can understand the frustration with the undersized tank compared to specs. everything else is just personal preference. I let my girl shower in the camper and i walk to the bath house because i'm big and dont like to squat in a shower.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Wait till this takes off. LOL
I know, couldn't help myself.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
NOT true!
Lots of national and state parks prohibit dumping gray water in a campsite.

It's the soapy water with food particles that attracts insects, pests and animals.
I think all the federal, state or local parks prohibit dumping gray water not only in a campsite but anywhere on the park lands, however very few offer an alternative for the camper, they prohibit dumping it the bathroom sinks or toilets (if they have them) so where do the tent campers "dump" there dish water?. I think we have strayed off topic, it would be an interesting new thread though. I do not understand why having a larger black water tank is less important then a grey water tank. I can shower out side (oops, by using that installed outside shower I am violating park rules, but maybe not if I don't use soap). There are numerous ways to conserve water usage so that the grey water tanks do not fill so quickly but not so with the black water tank. It is hard to conserve what nature dictates and it requires water to help dissipate the solids. I spent my career enforcing laws, I do not believe in double standards nor do I advocate desecrating our lands, public or private. Two, maybe three more days with a 40 gallon tank instead of a 32 gallon tank, big deal when you got to pick up and move to dump. Even when at a full hook up site, easier to dump grey water then black water, no chemicals or cost every time you dump.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:14 PM   #17

Shhhhh...I have peed on the ground in a campground or two
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
1010 should read the thread on stinky grey water, and pay attention to camp ground rules. I dont know of a single campground that wouldn't kick you out the second they caught you red handed dumping grey or black.

I can understand the frustration with the undersized tank compared to specs. everything else is just personal preference. I let my girl shower in the camper and i walk to the bath house because i'm big and dont like to squat in a shower.
Please see my prior post to bikendan. I agree with you, however my personal preference is the largest black water tank I can have and when shopping for our RV, that is almost #1 on my list. #1 might be having an electrical outlet and a shelf by the bed for a C PAP for someone who uses the device, me I need that big black water tank.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith52 View Post
Shhhhh...I have peed on the ground in a campground or two
Really?
Old 01-30-2017, 10:27 PM   #20

I confess.... I've been known to "water" a tree or 2.....
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black water, tank, water, water tank