Old 10-11-2018, 07:51 PM   #1

AC will only "click" & Microwave won't work...

I just purchased a 2000 Cardinal 34' 5th wheel. Before we moved it from the previous owners property, the AC & microwave worked flawlessly. However, once we moved it to my property & plugged it in everything works except the AC & microwave. When you attempt to turn the AC on, it will only "click". However, when you flip it to furnace it works like a champ. I am not sure if this is connected to my microwave, or not. However, the microwave will not come on either. I have not attempted to plug the microwave into a different outlet as of yet due to not having an extension cord with me, but I am going to try this tomorrow. Do any of you have any thoughts? Any help is needed. This is my first Camper & I am planning on living in it full time for the next year so I would like to get the AC going as quickly and cheaply as possible. Thanks in advance for any help you may have to offer!

asmith3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #2
Site Team

You said this is your first RV and setup on your property. Did you have the electric outlet installed for it. Assuming it is 50A service, did the electrician know they were wiring for an RV and wired it up as two 120V circuits and not 220VAC. Plugging into 220VAC will cause the issues you are seeing

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #3

What is the voltage in the RV when there is a load on the unit? What amperage is the outlet you are plugged into at home? What guage is the extension cord? The length of the cord? It sounds like you may have low voltage under load.
Edit: Flybob makes some important points. Is your RV 30 amp or 50 amp? 30 amp outlets are frequently wired incorrectly.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
You said this is your first RV and setup on your property. Did you have the electric outlet installed for it. Assuming it is 50A service, did the electrician know they were wiring for an RV and wired it up as two 120V circuits and not 220VAC. Plugging into 220VAC will cause the issues you are seeing
Flybob, a 50 amp RV service is in fact 240 volts to your rig. 240 not used but it is delivered to the main breaker. 30 amp is 120 volts.

50 amps is L1 and L2, n and G. 240 is measured between L1 and L2. Measure it.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmith3600 View Post
I just purchased a 2000 Cardinal 34' 5th wheel. Before we moved it from the previous owners property, the AC & microwave worked flawlessly. However, once we moved it to my property & plugged it in everything works except the AC & microwave. When you attempt to turn the AC on, it will only "click". However, when you flip it to furnace it works like a champ. I am not sure if this is connected to my microwave, or not. However, the microwave will not come on either. I have not attempted to plug the microwave into a different outlet as of yet due to not having an extension cord with me, but I am going to try this tomorrow. Do any of you have any thoughts? Any help is needed. This is my first Camper & I am planning on living in it full time for the next year so I would like to get the AC going as quickly and cheaply as possible. Thanks in advance for any help you may have to offer!
1st, the A/C is 120 volt AC. The furnace is propane and 12 volt from the battery. We need more info. What are you plug into? What size is your service 30 or 50? 50 is 240 volts. 30 is 120 volts. The A/C is independent of the microwave.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
Old 10-11-2018, 08:53 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You have to check basics first.
1. Is your shore power hook up 50a or 30a?
Have you checked your voltage at the shore power receptacle with a meter?
Have you checked power at your breaker box inside your rig with a meter?
We are all just guessing without more information.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=21
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:16 PM   #7
Site Team

You sound like the symptoms of a pedestal that has been miswired.

It's usually the 30 amp 120 volt outlets, that a electrician who is unfamiliar with, wire incorrectly for 240 volts (but your RV only uses 120 volts)....which if you connect your RV to, it will almost always ruin the converter, then is hit and miss on ruining the television and microwave. It can also take out the fridge control boards and electric fireplaces if equipped.

We have many horror stories on these forums of such.

A 50 amp 120/240 volt split phase outlet usually does not get wired incorrectly...but we have seen occasions where an electrician has done such. A 50 amp RV, although connected to a 120/240 volt outlet as Cavie explained correctly, utilizes both the L1 and L2 separately inside it's electrical distribution panel and thus only 120 volts is available to anything.

If an electrician incorrectly wired a L1 or L2 to possibly the neutral at the pedestal outlet, then you could get 240 volts...and thus do the same damage as an incorrect wired 30 amp outlet.

I just have a bad feeling you have an incorrect outlet and have damaged some things. I have been involved in a lot of these same type situations on these forums.

DO NOT try to turn anything on again, and immediately disconnect your RV until you can check out the outlet. You need to check the circuit breaker that controls this outlet you are connected to. Is it a single pole breaker or a double pole breaker (twice as wide as a single pole breaker)

If you are connected to a 30 amp outlet, but have a double pole circuit breaker to this outlet...you have problems. We keep this sticky at the top of the FAQ section on how to properly wire a 30 amp outlet.

How to wire a RV 30 amp outlet

Here is another resource that tells you how to correctly wire 30 and 50 amp outlets, and how to check either to make sure it is wired correctly. (under the outlet testing tab)

http://www.myrv.us/electric/index.htm

Hopefully, you have just maybe tripped a circuit breaker either to the pedestal or inside your RV'S electrical distribution panel.

Geaux Tigers!!!!
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:20 AM   #8
Site Team

Since you stated this is your first camper, this thread link below may also be of assistance, as it explains an RV's electrical systems among other things..... that may help in your troubleshooting.

New to RV's helpful hints

Geaux Tigers!!!!
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post

The problem could be really bad voltage drop, if it isn't fryed from incorrectly plugging it in to 220 outlet.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
The problem could be really bad voltage drop, if it isn't fryed from incorrectly plugging it in to 220 outlet.
A 50 amp outlet is in fact a 240-volt outlet. It's kinda hard to screw that up. It's the 30 amp 120-volt outlet that some electricians have a problem with. They think it's a 240-volt outlet.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #11

Good description.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 50-amp Service.pdf (47.4 KB, 15 views)

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
A 50 amp outlet is in fact a 240-volt outlet. It's kinda hard to screw that up. It's the 30 amp 120-volt outlet that some electricians have a problem with. They think it's a 240-volt outlet.
Check to make sure you have breaker on, reason I've come across bad breakers, one leg isn't working. Otherwise you have power on L1 and none on L2 or other way around. Also had the breaker off and one leg is still conducting power, forgot to turn it on, set it to on and it all works. You need both legs to run air-conditioning, only clicks if at all. Need to check plugins too, if no power then maybe a leg is off.
MTclaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:01 PM   #13

Apparently this is a "one and done" member. The poster hasn't been back since his first post.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave