Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2017, 08:40 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 207
Almost Spring...what mods are you doing?

Aching to get the Cardinal out of storage, and get camping! To pass some time, I've got a few mods up my sleeve.

Tonight, I converted my WeberQ 1200 grill to quick disconnects, and 25' extended hose to run off of the aux propane connector on the trailer. Pretty easy conversion, couple of fittings, remove the regulator, and done! No more extra propane tanks to haul.

Still to do when I get the Cardinal home:

- Install Mor/ryde wet bolt kit on spring hangers.
- replace whole house water filter with non-proprietary cannister to take generally available filter cartridges
- install snap-pad levelup rubber jack pads
- install ladder mount flag pole mounts
- rewire coax for Directv drop into the outside entertainment center
- Install threaded nipples on the fresh water tank overflow lines, and install drain valves
- replace fresh water tank drain plug with drain valve on freshwater tank drain
- replace low point hot/cold drain plugs with drain valves
- install 12V on/off switch at batteries

I'm sure I will think of more....

What are you all doing?
__________________

__________________
Dave

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:32 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,360
I have a shower adjustment bar, bathroom faucet, and backup camera to do.
__________________

aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:40 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
rmac04401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Franklin County, PA
Posts: 2,614
Redo my bench seat in TH. With regular furniture springs, install two more stabilizer jacks mid cabin, wire/install soundbar, caulk around new backsplash in kitchen and bathroom. Extend overflow and fresh water drain closer to edge of camper.
__________________
2019 Puma XLE 27QBC Toy Hauler
2005 Honda VTX 1300
2012 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:37 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 557
Shopping for a new Cardinal will be our biggest mod. Heading to Huntsville in the morning to look at one.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:47 AM   #5
Prime Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: About 30 miles west of Beantown.
Posts: 3,276
This year, all of the mods either completed or planned thus far have been to the TV.

- Upgraded from a Toyota Tundra SR5 to a Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel.
- Installed a bed cover
- Will be installing towing mirrors and side steps.

I don't know if it's possible, practical or even legal but I'm investigating a way to possibly use my portable generator to power the AC in the TT while traveling to keep our pooches cool during the log road trips we have planned for this summer.
__________________

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control

Forever in my memory and in my heart. Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:59 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra360PDEK View Post
Shopping for a new Cardinal will be our biggest mod. Heading to Huntsville in the morning to look at one.
Well, that sounds fun! It was about this time last year, that we pulled the trigger on ours. We 'stole' it off the line at the factory. It was started, but not completed, so we were able to add/change some of the options. Love the trailer, just about done working out all the kinks.
__________________
Dave

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:01 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
This year, all of the mods either completed or planned thus far have been to the TV.

- Upgraded from a Toyota Tundra SR5 to a Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel.
- Installed a bed cover
- Will be installing towing mirrors and side steps.

I don't know if it's possible, practical or even legal but I'm investigating a way to possibly use my portable generator to power the AC in the TT while traveling to keep our pooches cool during the log road trips we have planned for this summer.
I know folks have run the portable generator from the bed of the truck. I personally would be more worried about the dogs in the trailer while moving. A good slam of the brakes, or unexpected maneuver and they could get seriously injured. We keep ours in the truck with us when travelling.
__________________
Dave

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:02 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
I have a shower adjustment bar, bathroom faucet, and backup camera to do.
I would be curious to hear more about your backup camera mod. I've got a Garmin GPS that will take the accessory, just don't know anything about them.
__________________
Dave

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:06 AM   #9
Prime Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: About 30 miles west of Beantown.
Posts: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by djousma View Post
I know folks have run the portable generator from the bed of the truck. I personally would be more worried about the dogs in the trailer while moving. A good slam of the brakes, or unexpected maneuver and they could get seriously injured. We keep ours in the truck with us when travelling.
Not possible for the dogs to travel in the TV, allergies and lack of room.
__________________

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control

Forever in my memory and in my heart. Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:13 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
W5CI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Carlisle, Arkansas
Posts: 1,284
I am having the MORryde Independent Suspension with Disc Brakes Installed in mid March
__________________
2005 Cedar Creek 30RLBS/TrailAir Hitch/ MORryde 7K IS/Disc Brakes/ PI PT-50 EMS/ RV Flex Armor Roof
2015 RAM 3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins 3.42/ Garmin 760RV
40 Gal TransferFlow fuel tank/ TST 507
Amateur Radio W5CI 2017 Days Camping 77
2018 Days Camping 44
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:17 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by djousma View Post
I would be curious to hear more about your backup camera mod. I've got a Garmin GPS that will take the accessory, just don't know anything about them.
I use Tapatalk, so I didn't really notice or pay attention to what sub forum this was in. So, not sure this will be helpful.

It's the furrion wireless camera that my TT came "pre wired" for. Should take about 5 minutes, 3 of which will be setting up the ladder.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:33 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Otegoans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Otego,NY
Posts: 368
Upgrading to an on board surge protector.
Upgrading the speakers on the entertainment center.
Looking at A/C units for the bedroom, but I don't think my pockets are deep enough this year!
__________________
Otegoans
Ken and Wendy
'15 silverback 29RE
'13 GMC 2500HD
Duramax/Allison
Otegoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:35 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
I am having the MORryde Independent Suspension with Disc Brakes Installed in mid March
Jealous of that!
__________________
Dave

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:49 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
glsimms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Southern IN
Posts: 865
I will be adding a Furrion camera to our TT. It is not pre-wired so it will take a little longer then 5 minutes. Also adding struts under the bed to hold the mattress up for storage (don't know why Coachmen didn't add these), and raise the clothes bar in the bedroom closets. They are currently mounted mid-ways in the closets so when I hang pants they dangle on the floor.

And while this isn't a mod, I'm gonna give it a nice wash & wax job! Gotta have it lookin' purty!!
__________________
Gerard
2017 Coachmen Apex 269RBKS with Summit Pkg.
2014 Ford Expedition with factory installed HD tow pkg.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:30 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
DustyRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NY Capital District
Posts: 275
I can't wait to pull the trailer out so I can start de-winterizing and to see what I an mod. I bought a new 2500HD just before new years that is the biggest mod.

- redo WDH to accommodate new truck
- the one thing I want to look at is making our tri-fold couch more comfortable for our quest to sleep on. Will see if it can be made more level if not add slopped foam for the top to be more even.
- slide topper purchase and install
- check out behind the TV to see what types of connections are available. Didn't receive any information about what Jensen Model it is.
- find one remote that will work with TV, DVD and sound bar if possible. I hate having 3 remotes. Jensen TV and SONY DVD remotes are not compatible with any other brand remote.
- check out connecting Weber-Q grill to gas quick connects on trailer.

Priority just get out camping more than last year.
__________________
2017 Forest River Surveyor 251rks
2016 Chevy 2500HD

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:32 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 39
my mods

- led lights
- install a tankless water heater
- replace low point hot/cold drain plugs with drain valves
- install 12V on/off switch at batteries

Im sure as i cross things off the list there will be others added for next year.
Bobf074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:43 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Blaster 84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 301
Wine guard WIFI Antennae and a layer of wax
__________________
2013 F150 XLT, SuperCab, Ecoboost; Rockwood 8285WS
Nights camped:
2014 - 57, 2015 - 91, 2016 - 171, 2017 - 107,
2018 - 21, 2019 - counting
Blaster 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Swampy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 165
2017 mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by djousma View Post
Aching to get the Cardinal out of storage, and get camping! To pass some time, I've got a few mods up my sleeve.

Tonight, I converted my WeberQ 1200 grill to quick disconnects, and 25' extended hose to run off of the aux propane connector on the trailer. Pretty easy conversion, couple of fittings, remove the regulator, and done! No more extra propane tanks to haul.

Still to do when I get the Cardinal home:

- Install Mor/ryde wet bolt kit on spring hangers.
- replace whole house water filter with non-proprietary cannister to take generally available filter cartridges
- install snap-pad levelup rubber jack pads
- install ladder mount flag pole mounts
- rewire coax for Directv drop into the outside entertainment center
- Install threaded nipples on the fresh water tank overflow lines, and install drain valves
- replace fresh water tank drain plug with drain valve on freshwater tank drain
- replace low point hot/cold drain plugs with drain valves
- install 12V on/off switch at batteries

I'm sure I will think of more....

What are you all doing?
I plan to install a bed lift kit on the TT bed. I can't get to the storage from inside without help (or risking a hernia!) I hope the gas struts will do their thing!
I also need to do maintenance on the water heater. Had been using electric exclusively, decided to try gas. It lit, but flame was too large and yellow, plus it sent soot up the side of the TT. Probably insects or spiders in the burner tube or in the U tube. Will have to wash off the soot, too.
I will probably find a few more as we get into the season.

Swampy
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:06 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 50
Added Tire pressure monitor to 5th wheel and truck. Adding vent fan to the refrigerator this weekend. Finally found the right bug screens for refrigerator vents.
Charles Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 207
You all, are going to make me add more mods to my list! A lot of great ideas. This time of year gets hard, we start to see some of the warmer days here in Michigan, then 'ol mother nature flips the thermostat back down again.

We're headed down to Raleigh, NC area in late March for a week. I'm hoping to escape Michigan with dry roads and not a snowstorm!
__________________

__________________
Dave

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.


×