Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2015, 10:57 PM   #1

Backing my 3150 Cardinal into camp site

This my first year owning a bigger 5th wheel. I am having a hard time trying to back it in my site at a campground. The roads are fairly narrow and I am 37 feet long. Any tricks for something that long?
litz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:07 AM   #2

Take your time. Use a spotter that you can communicate with. Hand signals are great but I love blue tooth on my truck. The wife gets on her phone and calls me hands free.

Ever body has been there. Check your overhead for clearance as well.

If you get jammed up pull forward and reposition.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:57 AM   #3

I'll echo what Salt Shaker said and just say that narrow roads just make it hard. Time and practice will make it easier.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:03 AM   #4

Hopefully your campsites aren’t set at 90 degrees to the road. A few campgrounds I stay at have narrow roads with 90 degrees sites, those are a bear to get into.

One thing I do is drive an arc pattern as I drive passed the site. In other words, approaching the site I angle the truck toward the campsite, as I pass the site I angle the truck away from the campsite until I’m clear of the site and in a position to start backing. This leaves the fifth wheel already slightly angled toward the campsite. I hope I explained this so it is understandable. Regardless, big rigs and narrow roads are problematic.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:57 PM   #5

Look on YouTube for "the Scoop" maneuver

2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:17 PM   #6

How far past the campsite do you pull your rig before you start backing up? I had a 35 ft cougar 5th wheel and it seemed easier than my cardinal.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:34 PM   #7

Just my $.02.....I try to concentrate where the trailer tires are in relation to the drive/grass and maneuver to keep the tires on the drive/slab.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:03 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
Look on YouTube for "the Scoop" maneuver

The scoop really does work! My old RV parking spot wasn't angled so I always had a hard time getting it right until I tried this...really works!!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:16 PM   #9

With all the new backup cameras that are out there you can get two camera system and always use the driver side to back into as it is allot easier to see
b1hasj83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #10
Rodney & Patty

Interesting - I never knew that technique was the scoop. I started making that maneuver many years ago on the farm with tractors and spreaders. The video shows the idea of the swing in before pulling away to properly align the trailer axles with the site entry. They do show the TV pulling away at a sharper angle than what is practical on most campground roads but it does give a beginner the right idea for the ideal environment. I like what I read above about having the spotter on the cellphone - a great way to incorporate modern technology into the process. Another mention was made about 90 degree entries - sometimes entryways are even angles the wrong way. If I run into this I will have my spotter block the roadway while I go down and turn around - even if it's a one way, by blocking the roadway - oncoming traffic is a non issue and the reversal may make the entryway angle easier to approach... Experience is priceless but there is only one way to get it.
rdenslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:36 PM   #11

google truck driving instructions or lessons. I found a big rig lesson. After I got my first fifth wheel I could not back up wheel even though I had towed and backed a boat for 40 years. I got some pointers as to how to logically approach and prepare to enter a backin drive way that were invaluable. Ever since I can get in anything almost.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:45 PM   #12

I assume you are familiar with backing,so you need to pull past the campsite just a little further then turn the steering wheel a little harder to get the TT to start turning then follow in, not a whole lot different, good luck
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:00 PM   #13

Big Bill, if you have a four lane highway to get in this works fine. If limited in road width and driveway width or angle it can be tough. The distance from the driveway to your parallel vehicle and trailer is important. You can also set up the turn when approaching the driveway by first turning away from the driveway and then back toward it as you pass it . This puts your TV and trailer at an angle to each other before you ever start entering the driveway. In this way you can more easily back into a narrow spot from a single lane rv park road. If you experiment with this and practice a couple times I makes getting in the toughest spots easy. Again look at how the big rigs do it. These guys usually do a lot better job than the average RVr.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:28 AM   #14

Thanks for the information. I am going to a KOA this weekend in Pendleton OR, so I will try the turn away then back again technique. I have been pulling tt for years, but the 5th wheel has been giving me trouble.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by litz View Post
Thanks for the information. I am going to a KOA this weekend in Pendleton OR, so I will try the turn away then back again technique. I have been pulling tt for years, but the 5th wheel has been giving me trouble.
The pivot point of the fifth wheel is closer to you because it is in the middle of the bed not on the bumper.

I will guess you are making turns too soon due to habit.

And I agree with the scoop method.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:12 AM   #16

My stationary mountain site is in a level area of the resort. After trips, I take the rv to the site and hook it up and go 65 miles to home.
No spotters up there generally.
I have learned ( the hard way) set the rv wheels several feet ahead of the back in turn. Go slow and FOLLOW THE FLOW...over correction will cause me to miss. ALSO, I set out 4 of those cheap yellow blocks on the drivers side to gauge my alignment. The LAST of the yellow blocks sits right even with the center of my drivers door. EZ to see and I NEVER GO PAST THAT "all clear behind" maximum.
Practice, practice, practice.
Here is something to AVOID at all costs. Little old people on golf carts who will TELL YOU how it is done! Many have a class C 😖! Uhhhhh, no thank you.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:19 AM   #17

Big Vic thanks. Extremely helpful information even if it is a well deserved reminder of the little things.
jaitken0016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:37 AM   #18
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by litz View Post
This my first year owning a bigger 5th wheel. I am having a hard time trying to back it in my site at a campground. The roads are fairly narrow and I am 37 feet long. Any tricks for something that long?
There are a lot of learning aids out there, but none as good as actually doing it a few times. Did find one particularly helpful video made by a professional driver that helped ME understand the concepts involved -

Just take your time and don't worry about "all those other people" - they all started the same way......
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardinal