Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2018, 06:05 AM   #1

Battery question

On my 2006 Forest River Cardinal 29LE the battery, located in the front with the hydraulic system will operate the front stabilizers but not the slides. Isn't that battery supposed to operate both? Also where would the house battery be located? Newb learning here, thanks all.

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Retirement life........
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:19 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey View Post
On my 2006 Forest River Cardinal 29LE the battery, located in the front with the hydraulic system will operate the front stabilizers but not the slides. Isn't that battery supposed to operate both? Also where would the house battery be located? Newb learning here, thanks all.
I would certainly think so.

Have you checked the fuse(s)?
The main slide circuit protection should be located within a few feet of the battery. It may be in a covered fuse holder or a manually resetable current limiter that has a button on the side to reset.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30407-20.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	170957  
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post

The main slide circuit protection should be located within a few feet of the battery. It may be in a covered fuse holder or a manually resetable current limiter that has a button on the side to reset.
Thanks, I didn't know of a main slide circuit protector and will check. It just seems odd that the stabilizers will work. Thanks I'll check what you mentioned.

Retirement life........
Old 05-07-2018, 07:00 AM   #4

That is the house battery.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:01 AM   #5
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Thanks, I didn't know of a main slide circuit protector and will check. It just seems odd that the stabilizers will work. Thanks I'll check what you mentioned.
It's possible the power for the stabilizers is connected before the fuse.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:13 AM   #6

Quote:
The slides and the stabilizers have independent fuses.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
That is the house battery.
Thanks, It's the only one I've seen and was wondering.

Retirement life........
Old 05-07-2018, 08:11 AM   #8

Quote:

I didn't see anything like you described, the circuit protection. The only covered fuses are connected to the battery and all are good. I'm permanently parked and just want to operate the slides once and a while. A drill is easy, I had to manually slide them in to move the RV to where it is. Thanks

Retirement life........
Old 05-07-2018, 08:41 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Each major item has its own fuse.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:47 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
I didn't see anything like you described, the circuit protection. The only covered fuses are connected to the battery and all are good. I'm permanently parked and just want to operate the slides once and a while. A drill is easy, I had to manually slide them in to move the RV to where it is. Thanks
My direct wired fuses were actually wired behind the battery and a devil to change. My landing gear fuse (located next to my main slide fuse holders) blew at full retraction every time. I only found mine while locating my slide out fuses.

There IS a MAIN FUSE before the item fuses though. IT has a red cover and is an autoreset type.

This is what mine looked like when I moved everything to where I can easily work on things, The red covered thing is the main fuse and the green "pigtails" are 30 amp fuses.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	camper 002.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	170969  
Old 05-07-2018, 08:56 AM   #11

Quote:
The front battery is your house battery, you only have one. On my Silverback I have valves that control the hydraulic fluid to the individual slides. I can control whether I open one slide, all three slides, or none at all. Perhaps your Cardinal has these too.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:32 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
The front battery is your house battery, you only have one. On my Silverback I have valves that control the hydraulic fluid to the individual slides. I can control whether I open one slide, all three slides, or none at all. Perhaps your Cardinal has these too.
There should be a fuse that runs the hydraulic motor. The hydraulic motor is a high amperage item, so the fuse should be close to the battery.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #13

Quote:
My direct wired fuses were actually wired behind the battery and a devil to change. My landing gear fuse (located next to my main slide fuse holders) blew at full retraction every time. I only found mine while locating my slide out fuses.

There IS a MAIN FUSE before the item fuses though. IT has a red cover and is an autoreset type.

This is what mine looked like when I moved everything to where I can easily work on things, The red covered thing is the main fuse and the green "pigtails" are 30 amp fuses.
I haven't seen anything like that. Like you said hidden away and have to search. Thanks!

Retirement life........
Old 05-07-2018, 11:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I'll have to check into that. I don't know why the previous owner would have changed it but you never know.

Retirement life........
Old 05-07-2018, 04:59 PM   #15

Quote:
I remembered something earlier. When I purchased the RV a month or so ago the slides had to be brought in manually. After a 40 mile drive to it's new location, getting it leveled etc. we decided to try the switch for the slides and they came in fine? I guess the extra juice from the trucks battery boosted mine enough for the slides. I did have the battery checked before the move and it tested good. It seems like now that possibly the inverter (or converter) is not keeping the battery up enough for the slides but enough for the jacks?

Retirement life........
Old 05-08-2018, 10:24 PM   #16

Sounds like your figuring out the issue.

I bought my 2005 29LE 13 years ago. I have probably worked on every system on my rig. People on forums have helped me along the way. If you think, I can help you, feel free to pm me.

Attached is a photo of my slide motor, wiring and valves. I assume yours are similar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image719531594.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	171227  
billmac8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery