Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #1

Cable and satellite tv trouble getting signal

Hello all, I have a 2019 Cardinal 3350RLX, I have only tried to hook up cable tv to it once and had no luck getting signal or reception , also have tried to connect my satellite and do not receive a signal, I always run it thru the slide only cause I could never get a signal they the sat hookup which I’m ok with , however now and then it would be nice to pull into Kia and plug in cable and have that work, my question is , is there an ab switch that I cannot find in order to be able to receive a cable signal, I only was in a campground once where I needed to try cable and I had no luck at that time , I invested a few hours sinking around with it at that time . I am taking a trip south soon and there may be times that I need cable to be able watch some football games , anyone else have issues like this ? Thanks for your help in advance
RVBILL
RVBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:01 PM   #2

It all depends on if your trailer coax wiring is labeled and run correctly. If it is.......try this:

-Hook campground cable to 'cable' connection in bay.
-Turn off antenna booster (turn off the little green or red light on the plate)
-Use tv remote and go to 'source'
-Choose 'Cable'
-Do a Channel Scan

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:03 PM   #3

Be sure you are connected to the cable fitting, inside and out, and not the satellite fittings. Sometimes they are mislabeled. Power booster switch on the tv faceplate must be OFF
for cable to work.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:14 PM   #4

as far as cable goes do as explained above. do you know where the antenna booster switch is? on our cardinal it is very hard to find and access. it is up on the wall behind the bedroom tv. your may be anywhere. make sure it is off when you try park cable. this should be pretty standard.

as far as satellite goes there seems to be more variations is how cables are run. and the effect of splitters in the cable runs.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:35 AM   #5

cable tv

Thank You everyone, I did find the antenna booster switch yesterday, damn its small and hidden, will give that a go and see how that works, Also i have to replace a over the air antenna, it disappeared sunday on our way home from camping?

RVBILL
Old 08-25-2019, 05:05 AM   #6
"On the road again"

Something else you might be prepared to check...when we got our Cardinal 3456RLX I had the same problem and discovered the AUX input was actually hooked up to the CABLE.

And CABLE was not hooked up at all.

Inside our underbelly storage is a small piece of carpeted wood with four screws - right behind the wet bay.I removed that and could clearly see missing connectors. It took some trial and error, but I finally figured out what was going on.

My first step was to run coaxial in through the door and hook it up direct to rule out any problems with the TV or satellite receiver. Then, it was the process of elimination.

Since I got those connectors figured out - we've had zero problems and get good reception on satellite, cable and over-the-air.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:03 AM   #7

I had problems with cable connection. I had to get to the backside of the connection in the basement and replace the cable ends. One of them was shorted out.

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
It all depends on if your trailer coax wiring is labeled and run correctly. If it is.......try this:

-Hook campground cable to 'cable' connection in bay.
-Turn off antenna booster (turn off the little green or red light on the plate)
-Use tv remote and go to 'source'
-Choose 'Cable'
-Do a Channel Scan
In my new camper this year, I learned that was what I had to do, also. I could not get the cable in the set-up unless I turned off the antenna booster. Once that was off, I could access the cable to scan.
Rmstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmstack View Post
In my new camper this year, I learned that was what I had to do, also. I could not get the cable in the set-up unless I turned off the antenna booster. Once that was off, I could access the cable to scan.

Thank you
Old 08-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #10

Hi . I have a 2018 Cardinal 3350; had the same issue with the satellite connection. After numerous trials trying to get it to work through the SAT connection in the wet bay, me (Engineer) and my buddy (another engineer) came to the conclusion it was "wonky" (technical term). I installed a dedicated coax connector on the back of the rig and ran the coax cable under the trailer to the cabinet under the TV, next to the fake fireplace. Works fine for the living room TV. No Sat in the bedroom TV because we don't carry a second Sat receiver anyway. Cable TV connector in the wet bay works fine for both TV's, as long as the antenna booster (in the cabinet next to the bedroom TV in ours) is off.

I too lost my directional King Antenna to a tree branch recently. Bought a King OmniPro omnidirectional RV antenna. Works great for OTA TV, no need to turn the antenna to find a signal, the footprint is exactly the same as the King Directional antenna so the same screws holding the old antenna worked in the same holes for the new antenna. Seal w/ Dicor self leveling sealant. Easy fix.

Good luck
Old 08-28-2019, 08:09 AM   #11

cable and sat tv

GilnJo,
Thanks for that good info, i actually have never had an RV that would pass sat signal thru from the outside hookup to the tv, on this trailer i have been just slipping in the cable thru the slide, however had I revived this reply earlier i could have switched out the ota antenna for the one you bought , but i already installed the exact king replacement, next time i will LOL,
Thank You for the good info !
RVBILL
Old 08-28-2019, 08:43 AM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmstack View Post
That's because not only does the antenna boost switch (little button with green LED) turn the power supply on/off, it also is an electronic A/B switch that switches connections (behind the wall plate) when the button is pushed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winegard_Page_1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	213635   Click image for larger version

Name:	winegard_Page_2.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	213636   Click image for larger version

Name:	winegard_02.jpg
Views:	85