Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2016, 11:59 AM   #1

Cardinal 3250 Battery Upgrade

Good morning-
I just purchased a new Cardinal 3250 after selling my coach. I'm use to being able to have unlimited power when boondocking with the coach so am trying to feel my way into the fifth wheel life style.
The battery box in the 3250 is built into the floor in the front of the 5er. It comes with 2 group 27 Exide batteries in the recessed plastic holder.
I want to put solar on and change to 2 GC2s.
I sent FR a note asking what the battery holder was rated for so I didn't overload the box. The response was that it wasn't rated but was designed for group 24 batteries.
Has anyone dealt with this issue yet and come up with solutions on how to best install 2 or possibly 4 GC2s?
Any thoughts on leaving the 2 group 27's in the current box and add the GC2s next to them?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Bill

Note: I also posted this under the electrical section but no answers or suggestions yet.
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:41 AM   #2

I have six GC batteries next to the Onan 5500 in the front compartment on my 2011 3450 RL. I would guess they are built the same. Does your camper have the gen prep installed?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
rugersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:28 PM   #3

I did not care for the plastic holders and bought a piece of sheet steel and screwed it to the floor over the holes. Put to golf cart batteries in 3 yrs ago no problems.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:08 PM   #4

Wow!!! 6 GC batteries is a bunch.
I don't have the the gen prep kit and don't want to get a generator at this point. I have 2 Honda 2000 gens that I can pair up.
How long can you stay self sufficient with 6?
Old 01-30-2016, 11:15 PM   #5

I like that idea of pulling out the stock boxes. I don't feel good about them hanging as low as they do and subject to damage.
I still haven't decided to pull out the 2- 27s that came with the coach.
I came up with a bigger problem this morning when I went to fill the water tank for the first time. I have water leaking from the tank or a line to it into the underbelly liner. Now i hope they can fix that early next week. I was planning on taking a shake down trip next weekend but not looking good now!
Old 01-31-2016, 12:03 PM   #6

I have not checked how long they will last. I use an inverter to watch tv and power the dish receiver and the batteries will hold through the evening. I have a minimal solar setup, 220 watts that will top off the battery bank the next day. I added the last two not because I needed them but I already had them.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugersdad View Post
I have not checked how long they will last. I use an inverter to watch tv and power the dish receiver and the batteries will hold through the evening. I have a minimal solar setup, 220 watts that will top off the battery bank the next day. I added the last two not because I needed them but I already had them.

Six batteries, only last the evening?

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 02-02-2016, 10:19 PM   #8

I don't draw them down to 50 % and I am power hungry, lights, sat receiver, pathway x 2, two flat screen TVs, fridge, "on propane"

Old 02-02-2016, 10:27 PM   #9

Oops pushed the wrong button. The fans run a lot for the fridge and we use the fantastic fan quite a bit when cooking as the cooktop fan is 110 volt and just recirculates the air. It all adds up.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:08 AM   #10

Thanks Rugersdad! I'd say we are energy hogs. It will be interesting to see how we adapt our lifestyle to having less availability.
I think I'm going to leave the 2 stock 27s in their holder, add 2 ea GC2s with a Perko switch and the solar system with one 160W panel to start with.
I also have the 2 2000W Hondas for quick charge and backup.
Previously: 36' Country Coach
Old 04-21-2016, 08:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugersdad View Post
I have six GC batteries next to the Onan 5500 in the front compartment on my 2011 3450 RL. I would guess they are built the same. Does your camper have the gen prep installed?

Question. What truck are you pulling the 5er with 6GCs and the generator?
Walking thunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, cardinal, upgrade