Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #1

Cardinal 3450RL structure problems

Hi everyone,
I have a question, I own a 2010 Cardinal, it has had two owners including us, we have used it one time in California this year, my husband went to take it in for some warranty work, we bought an extended warranty after we bought it. They saw huge cracks above the slides which we did not see before. They said it was a structure issue and of course the warranty doesn't cover it, 3000+ later....
My question is has anyone else had issues with this slide out structure thing? and after they fix it, what do we need to do to stop it from happening again? Since they have no idea what caused it except faulty structure beams. I am wondering if I can get Forest River involved,if it is faulty construction.
Thanks!
cintrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 01:15 AM   #2

How about some pictures of the damage on your camper? I have been waiting for someone to ask but no one has. I have a 3450 RL and have taken it on some crazy rough roads/ switchbacks etc. I do drive slow on rough roads but the only damage I have seen are some hairline cracks in the clear coat right above the door for the auto level control.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
rugersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:30 AM   #3

HA! I posted some pictures when I original put it up but I must not have done it right! Thanks for letting me know....You can see the bubble on the side over by the door. These are the only pictures I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG957983_2.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	76486   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG953746.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	76487  
Old 05-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cintrab View Post
HA! I posted some pictures when I original put it up but I must not have done it right! Thanks for letting me know....You can see the bubble on the side over by the door. These are the only pictures I have.
That don't look good, the bubble is from the side delamination, it could have helped cause that crack. Bubbles do not happen from structure problems. Did they also repair the bubble area. They should have put a meter on it to see how much moisture is present in that wall. Sorry about your problems. Those aren't little. I would try and call the factory and send them the pictures and see what they say? You might need to replace that wall....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:20 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

One of the previous owners may have used jacks under the slide also, which could have caused both problems. I would look for telltale marks under the slide before getting FR involved. The unit is 5 yrs old and had 3 owners.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
One of the previous owners may have used jacks under the slide also, which could have caused both problems. I would look for telltale marks under the slide before getting FR involved. The unit is 5 yrs old and had 3 owners.
I do not think that jacks would cause bubbles that's news to me. I suggested that he send pictures so they can evaluate and tell him if he going to need a new wall..... PS: they can also give him a bid to replace it. I never meant that FR has any responsibility. I would talk to factory before any dealer, but that could just be me and my mistrust in dealers. When the OP put it in his post they did not notice anything when they bought it. I would think you would see a bubble that big, or a crack that large? Those are not spider cracks.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Jacks under the slide would sure put undue pressure on the bubbled corner and putting a tremendous tension load in the opposite corner causing the tear/crack.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #8

Are you talking about "jacks" as in slide supports? We have not used that yourselves but we were thinking that we might have to get some so that the problem would not repeat but like you said we need to see what caused the problem first...
Old 05-09-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Are you talking about "jacks" as in slide supports? We have not used that yourselves but we were thinking that we might have to get some so that the problem would not repeat but like you said we need to see what caused the problem first...
Yes, a jack/support device under the corner with the bulge could very well cause both corner problems. JMO.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Cintrab, IMO you do not want to use any slide supports. They can really rack your frame. If your tires sink and that is holding the slide up your going create major damage. I don't think anyone on this forum would recommend that. It has been beat to a dead horse here in other threads try to find one on slideout supports. Type it in the Search Box. Good luck in what ever fix you do but something caused that. "Happy Camping to you and yours"

Old 05-24-2015, 01:51 PM   #11

Any updates on your damage? My 3450 is slightly bowed out where your damage is and I believe it has been that way from the time I got it. Your pics almost indicate that the slides were bouncing when they were out to cause that kind of damage. I don't think they can be over extended but I am no expert, hope it all works out for you.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:03 PM   #12

I have been watching this post since May, do you have any updates cintrab ? I hope your camper has been repaired to your satisfaction. Please update.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:05 PM   #13

Also watching
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:32 PM   #14

Just noticed this thread today even though it is several months old and I have to say I feel genuinely sorry for the OP, the RV in this condition has no value so fixing it is the only option.
I speculate (no more and no less) that the previous owner noticed something suspicious and decided to get rid of it before it's to late. I have seen people abusing their vehicles and RV's like no one would believe, that's why I'm very careful buying used.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:14 AM   #15
Canadian Contingent

I have some fissures that look like cracks on the inside but never broke the inside wallpaper and there are no cracks on the exterior.

My suspicion is a previous owner didn't level the 5er properly and twisted the frame on mine and others. The slide cut out is definitely a week point in any structure.

You would not have to use slide supports to do this!

Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
I have some fissures that look like cracks on the inside but never broke the inside wallpaper and there are no cracks on the exterior.

My suspicion is a previous owner didn't level the 5er properly and twisted the frame on mine and others. The slide cut out is definitely a week point in any structure.

You would not have to use slide supports to do this!
This is so true, I had to cut the inside wall at the top of my slide. My Sirius antenna kept hitting the wall paneling It's in the slide roof. Found out you can cut that stuff with a box knife. I trimmed it a 1/2" higher to the bottom of the structure brace or header is what I call it to get the Clearance I needed. Now my wall doesn't pop anymore when I either let the slide out or bring it in. My inside wall was cracking at that point. You can twist your frame in a minute. Do you have the hydraulic leveling system? They had to add a cross member and gussets at the stress points so I can't twist it. Since then my problem ended. Good luck on the repair....

Old 10-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #17

An air ride hitch or pin box would do much to minimize stress cracks.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:03 PM   #18
Plain Old Member

Thinking there may be way more problems than just the bulge and stress crack. There have been a couple of members on here that the crack was just the first thing noticed, then the frame issues were noticed. Chain reaction. Hate to say it, but I'd have ditched it too if I had that problem. The silverback we sold had the front cap cracking for the 3rd time when we sold it. Though we were getting out of full timing anyway, I had had enough with that thing. That was just one issue.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardinal