Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 158
Cardinal 3550RL

The wife and I are considering the purchase of a Cardinal 3550RL but we're not sure if our 2008 F350 is capable of towing it. Is anyone pulling something similar with an F350?
__________________

__________________
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 855
Is it a dually?
That fiver has a GVWR around 15K so you will need a dually to handle it.
__________________

__________________
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 2,381
Hello and to the forums. While I can't answer your question specifically, I can suggest you a search on here for "tow calculator" and see what you get. Several post on here about what can tow what. You will need empty weight, and max weight of tow vehicle and camper in order to input good data so your output is also good data. I will say this, it arrived at the dealer by means of a one ton dually pick up, and it came from Indiana. Now, can your truck tow it? You have to decide, and be responsible for the consequences, whatever they may be.
__________________
LadyWindrider
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 158
Donn,

Thanks for the reply. Our truck is a single axle so I guess we're back to our search for the right unit. Thanks again.

John
__________________
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider
Hello and to the forums. While I can't answer your question specifically, I can suggest you a search on here for "tow calculator" and see what you get. Several post on here about what can tow what. You will need empty weight, and max weight of tow vehicle and camper in order to input good data so your output is also good data. I will say this, it arrived at the dealer by means of a one ton dually pick up, and it came from Indiana. Now, can your truck tow it? You have to decide, and be responsible for the consequences, whatever they may be.
Thank you for the references, I'll definitely check them out as the safety of my family and fellow travelers is a priority for me.

Thanks,
John
__________________
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 855
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor1920 View Post
Donn,

Thanks for the reply. Our truck is a single axle so I guess we're back to our search for the right unit. Thanks again.

John

John,
While I am not telling you that it can't be done and before you cross it off your list, load up your truck like you will be traveling and go to the scales. Get the rear and front axle weights plus the total weight of your truck. From those numbers you can find the FAWR and RAWR plus the trucks GVWR and make some educated guesses if you will be comfortable towing the 3550RL. when calculating a trailers weight please remember to ignore the "yellow" sticker, and any terms that may be used except GVWR. While you may never reach the trailers GVWR (yea right) you will have a safe idea of how heavy your combination will be when loaded and ready to travel. Also ignore anything a salesman tells you as they are in it for the money.
As an example, my fiver has a GVWR of 13,750 an axle dry weight of 8781 and a dry pin weight of 1742. Based on those numbers it appears on paper that this fiver could easily be pulled with a 3/4 ton. But wait. Actual ready to camp numbers are Pin weight 3000+, ready to camp weight 13,500 pounds. Yup the pin weight nearly doubled, simply because I added a few things, (no generator) and the advertised weights were notoriously inaccurate. so long story shortened, I gave up on towing with a 3/4 ton truck after three years and 8700 miles in favor of a dually. I have never looked back or regretted my decision to get enough truck for my load.
__________________
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by donn

John,
While I am not telling you that it can't be done and before you cross it off your list, load up your truck like you will be traveling and go to the scales. Get the rear and front axle weights plus the total weight of your truck. From those numbers you can find the FAWR and RAWR plus the trucks GVWR and make some educated guesses if you will be comfortable towing the 3550RL. when calculating a trailers weight please remember to ignore the "yellow" sticker, and any terms that may be used except GVWR. While you may never reach the trailers GVWR (yea right) you will have a safe idea of how heavy your combination will be when loaded and ready to travel. Also ignore anything a salesman tells you as they are in it for the money.
As an example, my fiver has a GVWR of 13,750 an axle dry weight of 8781 and a dry pin weight of 1742. Based on those numbers it appears on paper that this fiver could easily be pulled with a 3/4 ton. But wait. Actual ready to camp numbers are Pin weight 3000+, ready to camp weight 13,500 pounds. Yup the pin weight nearly doubled, simply because I added a few things, (no generator) and the advertised weights were notoriously inaccurate. so long story shortened, I gave up on towing with a 3/4 ton truck after three years and 8700 miles in favor of a dually. I have never looked back or regretted my decision to get enough truck for my load.
Donn,

Thanks again. We recently sold our 29' class C and had been considering going to an A, but to get some of the amenities we wanted we quickly priced ourself out of a reasonable budget since I really wanted a diesel for mileage and hill climbing power. I'll pull my numbers together and see if this model fits and is safe to tow. We'll also take any salesman "advice" with more than a bit of general skepticism.

John
__________________
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 855
Let me know what you come up with. Ee looked at a 3550rl last year a couple traded for a mh and really liked it. Just not in my budget as I was laid off for the second time in Sept. Retired now so we are going camping for two months.
__________________
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
camper_Lucy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Camping some place I hope
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor1920 View Post
The wife and I are considering the purchase of a Cardinal 3550RL but we're not sure if our 2008 F350 is capable of towing it. Is anyone pulling something similar with an F350?
We would need more details on the F350 to help you, engine, cab design, srw or drw, gears, etc.

If you want to post those items we can help navigate you to number.

Here is the link to the 2008 F350 Towing specs.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...guideDec06.pdf
__________________
2011 GMC 3500HD 4x4 Crew DRW Duramax
Pullrite 20.5K
2012 Sierra 365SAQ
2006 Police Roadking FLHPi
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy

We would need more details on the F350 to help you, engine, cab design, srw or drw, gears, etc.

If you want to post those items we can help navigate you to number.

Here is the link to the 2008 F350 Towing specs.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...guideDec06.pdf
Camper_Lucy,

Thank you for your reply. I have pulled the following information together:

Engine: 6.4L V8 turbo diesel
Cab: 4 door crew cab
SRW or DRW: It is a SRW truck
Gears: 3.73
Bed length: 8 feet

According to the door sticker:
GVWR: 11,500
Front GAWR: 6000
Rear GAWR: 7000

We generally travel and camp light in my opinion. Just my wife and our 3 small dogs. For the most part we don't carry water and our rig won't have a generator installed since we tend to stay at locations that are full service (the wife doesn't dry camp :-))

Thanks,
John
__________________

__________________
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 PM.